Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

dynosore

Dec 29, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #101 of 209 (7448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [htotsu] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

htotsu wrote:
reno wrote:
roberchr wrote:
do you really think that anybody wants to live in a place with a high murder rate? or that a person doesn't want health insurance?

Yes. People actually make the choice to live in violent cities, make the choice to engage in risky behavior, and make the choice to not purchase health insurance. Millions of people make those decisions every single day.

Oh, come on. The first is totally different from the second and the third. Income is a huge factor in where one "chooses" to live. When your options are limited, then you can't suggest that "choice" is completely voluntary. There are people of all backgrounds who work hard every day and make an honest living, but cannot afford to live somewhere safer than they do. Roberchr asked if you really think anybody "WANTS" to live in a place with a high murder rate. Your pointing out that people "choose" to live there in no way proves that this is what they "want."

I'm living proof that someone can grow up somewhere bad and make it out. I worked my tail off to do it. The OP is full of it, and has the typical attitude that is destroying this country. Someone else take care of me while I do what I want. He voluntarily participates in an activity known for injuries, yet doesn't get insurance. His mom works for the Gov. but makes minumum wage, right. He has to work 2 jobs to get through college, right, FASFA will give him 12500 a year even if he was too lazy to get good grades and the resultant scholarship. If you're a person of at least reasonable intelligence and don't make it in America, you have only yourself to blame. Instead of whining, be grateful you didn't grow up in Colombia or sub Saharan Africa. Whatabuncha babies. Squandering opportunity billions of people would kill for. Sickening.

(This post was edited by dynosore on Dec 29, 2008, 6:53 PM)

onceahardman

Dec 29, 2008, 9:29 PM
Post #102 of 209 (7432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
typical attitude that is destroying this country. Someone else take care of me while I do what I want.

And that's really the relevant statement.

Can't afford health insurance, but can afford to climb, whether at a gym, or outside. Rope, shoes, harness, rack, chalk, gas, car, camping, etc.

Mother has a minimum wage government job with no benefits? Hmmm. Never heard of it.

Go out and cut people's grass. Clean junk out of people's basements and attics. Garbage-pick and have garage sales. Do odd jobs. There is money out there, if you will bust for it.

I know firsthand what poverty is. While I'm not rich, I am financially successful, that is, I spend less than I earn. Not by much, but by some.

I know millionnaires who are broke. I also know people who make $300./week, but are successful. I have never accepted money from a government program, be it welfare, food stamps, SSI, SSD, or even unemployment.

On second thought, I did accept a PELL grant to attend school, and a low interest loan, which I paid back ahead of schedule.

htotsu

Dec 29, 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #103 of 209 (7422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
Also, do people post useless, redundant messages to thread that should have died long ago?
???
What is obvious to you might not be so obvious to Reno, who is - in fact - the person to whom I was replying. Reno wrote that living in dangerous places is simply a matter of choice. Thanks for pointing out that even you could see that he was incorrect, and that if you can see it, perhaps he should have.

reno

Dec 29, 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #104 of 209 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

htotsu wrote:
Reno wrote that living in dangerous places is simply a matter of choice. Thanks for pointing out that even you could see that he was incorrect, and that if you can see it, perhaps he should have.

We're going to disagree. It's my belief that people make the choice to live in certain areas. While moving out of that area to some place safer might be a difficult choice to make, it can be done. For some, it's easier to stay in a bad area than to make the sacrifices necessary to get out.

IMHO, most all of our lives are simply matters of choices we make.

ltj999

Dec 29, 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #105 of 209 (7407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok so im not going to reply to the insurance part, but the injury I can relate to. I suffered a similar injury skiing when I was in my young teens before I started climbing. Hurt for a long time but did'nt conflict with my activity because the only thing that hurt it, as you said is throwing. That being said, I never have, even before the injury played a ball throwing sport so no loss to me. Although, still about 7 years later I am still unable to throw without pain. However, I have felt no pain climbing or any other sport im involved in so no loss to me. Good luck...go see a doctor, health is priceless. (mental health too, sorry im a psych student)

htotsu

Dec 30, 2008, 5:47 AM
Post #106 of 209 (7392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
For some, it's easier to stay in a bad area than to make the sacrifices necessary to get out.
Yes, for some. But not all.

reno wrote:
Perhaps most. But not all.

onceahardman

Dec 30, 2008, 1:15 PM
Post #107 of 209 (7371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

htotsu wrote:
reno wrote:
For some, it's easier to stay in a bad area than to make the sacrifices necessary to get out.
Yes, for some. But not all.

reno wrote:
Perhaps most. But not all.

I suggest NOW would be a good time to make a point.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Dec 30, 2008, 1:25 PM
Post #108 of 209 (7366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

htotsu wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
Also, do people post useless, redundant messages to thread that should have died long ago?
???
What is obvious to you might not be so obvious to Reno, who is - in fact - the person to whom I was replying. Reno wrote that living in dangerous places is simply a matter of choice. Thanks for pointing out that even you could see that he was incorrect, and that if you can see it, perhaps he should have.

The joke I was going for was the ironic "quit posting while posting to the thread". All other attempts to make a point were totally secondary to trying to say "Please god let this thread die" while helping it not die.

Like I just did again.

(This post was edited by Toast_in_the_Machine on Dec 30, 2008, 2:04 PM)

matterunomama

Jan 1, 2009, 3:21 AM
Post #109 of 209 (7344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
So um, through Aetna, I buy insurance.

It's $92 a month, has a $3000 deductible and after that everything is totally covered.

If I get cancer, shove my femur into my stomach, blow my shoulder, or get a hit and run on my bike, I'm covered 100% after the first $3000. That and I get 2 teeth cleanings a year.

I'm completely self employed, there is no employer help, this is just the cost of insurance.

I don't have any conditions and I'm in generally good shape so I'm not into the doctor often. If you need to have regular visits, this would probably be a bit too pricey.

Look into it though, health insurance is affordable.

Is this insurance pegged to income? If not I want to move to Colorado. Our family insurance is over $750 a month and there is still a $2000 deductible. Thats retirement insurance thru a company. Other families I know pay 0ver $2000 a month(!) because someone has something common like depression or high BP. In NY they do have "Healthy NY" which is for low income (single person $12000 or less/yr), but I think even that is about 200.And you cannot actually pay rent and still eat in NY at that income. Its definitely a racket, and I get annoyed all the time, but realistically, youu need it. Who actually puts an equal amount to the premium away for that future need? Working people like the OP are stuck. Thats why we need a Universal Health Insurance.

Nice axiom about the VA/IRS

edited to add: oddly enough, ours is also Aetna, despite the huge price difference and us having no illnesses or conditions. Shows how unfair/uneven it is.

(This post was edited by matterunomama on Jan 1, 2009, 3:30 AM)

USnavy

Jan 1, 2009, 3:48 AM
Post #110 of 209 (7341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
USnavy wrote:
nivlac wrote:
USnavy wrote:
Don’t most universities provide free medical coverage as part of the tuition? All my college friends have their medical care covered by the university as its part of the tuition.

Free medical coverage = oxymoron, no? Especially when you have to pay for it via tuition.

Merry Xmas everyone!!

Ok so "included" coverage. Isn’t most medical coverage "included" with college tuition? After all if the student gets injured and can’t pay their bills they won’t be going to college anymore. It would only make sense for the college to protect their customers.

When I went to school, they covered 50% of what they considered a fair price.

I had an RA blood test. It cost 300. They said 50 miles away I could have had it for 200 so they only covered half of that price. That's just an example, not a huge money loss but you see their principles.
$100 a month for a 50% co-pay and probably a low max pay out and a 500 page long list of things they don’t cover? What a shitty ass deal. So if I break my leg and it costs $5k to fix it, I have to pay 2.5k? I wouldn’t even consider that to be insurance...

USnavy

Jan 1, 2009, 4:07 AM
Post #111 of 209 (7335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Speaking of which, you guys need to cut the OP some damm slack. If he can’t afford it, he can’t afford it. College students have no income (literally) yet they still have to pay all the same bills any other working class American has to (fuel, car payment, blah, blah). If you guys were in college, didn’t make shit for income, could not afford insurance, and got injured you would be very quick to complain to your friends about how its bull shit insurance is so damm expansive and you can’t afford it. AND DONT SAY YOU WOULDENT because we all know that’s complete bull shit so don’t be so quick to jump on him.

I was curious as to how much insurance in the private sector would be for me. I called the most known university on the island and asked them what I would have to pay as a full time student at their college. They wanted $180 a month for me for a shitty ass plan that doesn’t even cover climbing accidents. I don’t smoke, I am in very good health, I am 22 years old and I go to the doctor about twice a year. All in all I cost the Navy maybe $200 a year in medical expenses at this time. Yet they want to charge me 12x what I created in medical bills last year and provide near useless coverage options. How the fuck is that reasonable? The insurance on my $18k truck is 1/3rd the cost of what my medical insurance would be and they have had to pay out many thousands to me for claims. With absolutely insane prices and near useless coverage plans that don’t even cover climbing accidents, it’s not hard to see how the OP can’t afford it.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jan 1, 2009, 4:08 AM)

onceahardman

Jan 1, 2009, 1:35 PM
Post #112 of 209 (7321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Our family insurance is over $750 a month and there is still a $2000 deductible.

Right off the bat, there is a huge difference between a "family" policy, and an "individual" policy. Kids get sick, get hurt, and get various immunizations on a schedule. They are expensive to insure. Plus it puts you in the pool that covers pregnancies.

And again, health care is EXPENSIVE. it won't get cheaper just because the gov't administrates it.

It will be less convenient. I live in a city bordering Canada. People come here, and private pay for procedures and MRIs, rather than wait in the socialized Canadian system, (which is often held up as a great example.)

Regarding rock climbing not being "covered". I call BS. If you get hurt, see the doc, tell him or her you were hurt climbing, he'll treat you, and the claim will be paid.

I fill out insurance claims all the time, including some involving climbing injuries. There is no space on a HCFA 1500 claim form for "mechanism of injury", other than, "is this a result of a motor vehicle accident, or a work injury", which both involve other insurers.

matterunomama

Jan 1, 2009, 3:39 PM
Post #113 of 209 (7310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
Our family insurance is over $750 a month and there is still a $2000 deductible.

Right off the bat, there is a huge difference between a "family" policy, and an "individual" policy. Kids get sick, get hurt, and get various immunizations on a schedule. They are expensive to insure. Plus it puts you in the pool that covers pregnancies.

If that is indeed their assumptions it shows how off kilter this is. Did you notice this was retiree health care? The child in question is 21 years old, which means there has been no pregnancy for 22 years. The retiree in question won't qualify for Medicare for another 10 years.

Other than Medicare, I see the problem here that if you have a good job, you (and your family) have good insurance; the unemployed, the people who work 3 part-time jobs, and the working poor cannot afford it and so they neglect their health and/or get caught in a medical emergency that devastates any hard-won gains.

The system has to be changed.There will be compromises, inconsistencies. Canada is not the only model and I happen to think that the VA is a good system that the government has screwed up, at least from my brief experience of working in it.

reno

Jan 1, 2009, 3:55 PM
Post #114 of 209 (7307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Speaking of which, you guys need to cut the OP some damm slack. If he can’t afford it, he can’t afford it. College students have no income (literally) yet they still have to pay all the same bills any other working class American has to (fuel, car payment, blah, blah).

Yeah, and he's the first person in the history of time to be in that spot. NOBODY ELSE has ever scraped by in college.

In reply to:
If you guys were in college, didn’t make shit for income, could not afford insurance, and got injured you would be very quick to complain to your friends about how its bull shit insurance is so damm expansive and you can’t afford it.

I wouldn't be in that position. Responsible, mature, intelligent people take precautions against such a scenario (like buying health insurance before they get hurt and need it.)

onceahardman

Jan 1, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #115 of 209 (7289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mama, if you don't think it's a good deal, then don't buy it. Same as any other product. You could always pay as you go.

In reply to:
The retiree in question won't qualify for Medicare for another 10 years.

Medicare has it's own problems. I read the other day that HALF of the medicare budget is spent on end-of-life issues. I know (first-hand, again) how much we want to keep our older loved ones around as long as possible. But we need to find a way of doing it more cheaply...the dying people, mathematically speaking, are using up more than their share of the budget. And we all share the budget. Just because the gov't runs it doesn't make it cheaper.

reno

Jan 1, 2009, 6:20 PM
Post #116 of 209 (7285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Just because the gov't runs it doesn't make it cheaper.

Or better.

"The efficiency of FEMA with the compassion of the IRS."

altelis

Jan 1, 2009, 6:35 PM
Post #117 of 209 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I was curious as to how much insurance in the private sector would be for me. I called the most known university on the island and asked them what I would have to pay as a full time student at their college. They wanted $180 a month for me for a shitty ass plan that doesn’t even cover climbing accidents. I don’t smoke, I am in very good health, I am 22 years old and I go to the doctor about twice a year. All in all I cost the Navy maybe $200 a year in medical expenses at this time. Yet they want to charge me 12x what I created in medical bills last year and provide near useless coverage options. How the fuck is that reasonable? The insurance on my $18k truck is 1/3rd the cost of what my medical insurance would be and they have had to pay out many thousands to me for claims. With absolutely insane prices and near useless coverage plans that don’t even cover climbing accidents, it’s not hard to see how the OP can’t afford it.

Sorry, but short sighted egocentric views like yours are whats keeping people uninsured. No offense, but you clearly have NO concept of how insurance works!

Being charged 12x the medical costs you generated as a healthy just-barely-not-a-teenager-any-longer is unreasonable? (ps I am not that much older than you, however your opinions bely your age and so I though it relevant to point out how close to a teenager you are...this has also helped me better understand some of your ridiculous ego-centric short sighted posts on sport climbing....) Try and follow the logic here: When you buy health insurance you are essentially making a bet: the bet is that, over the course of time that you are insured you will pay less in premiums than you would have if you paid as you go.

So, clearly, insurance will be more expensive, IN THE SHORT TERM, if you are healthy and uninjured. That hopefully is a no-brainer. It should be obvious that if were to NEVER get sick or injured insurance would be a rip-off. Just think about how we use the word in ever-day usage: you don't get coverage if you think the chances are infinitesimal that something will happen or if there are good chances that something will happen but the cost of getting it repaired is nominal.

Still with me? If not, read those paragraphs again. If yes, keep going. Just about everything in medicine is expensive, so the latter part of the two-part "why you wouldn't get insurance" doesn't apply. And the chances of NEVER getting injured or sick are pretty damn small; they fall to near-zero if you participate in ANY sport, ride in ANY cars, let alone if you are a climber, skier, biker, etc. The reason to get health insurance if you fall into those categories are two fold- likelihood of injury increases AND likelihood that if injury DOES occur the injury will likely NOT be a minor one.

So, to recap, if you are even paying half-way attention it should be NO FUCKING BIG SURPRISE that in a given year health insurance will cost WAY more than medical services in that given year. However, one minor (let alone major) injury and all of a sudden those YEARS of paying for insurance all of a sudden become cheap. Dirt cheap.

For all you self-absorbed-whiners out there who complain about cost-of-service after injury WITHOUT insurance, I say shut-your-trap until AFTER you repay all of us who now pay INCREASED rates because service fees go up because hospitals have to eat some of your medical expenses because you were to self-centered, lazy, and idiotic to not get coverage. What whiny bitches. Like what was brought up before- do you think you are the ONLY one in your position? The only one to grapple with how to afford insurance? We with insurance realize that while insurance is expensive it doesn't PALE in comparison with the costs of NOT having coverage and then getting injured. Suck it up. Find a way, cause if you don't you'll soon find yourself in a FAR worse situation.

God, all this asinine, idiotic, self-serving dribble really makes me sick. (That statement, USNavy, was directed at everybody. This next one is directed at you, personally....) I would have thought that the Navy had an IQ test, and even then, don't the Armed Services value those who put the group in front of the individual, value those who understand sacrifice for the greater good, who understand thinking out all the myriad consequences of one's actions?

jt512

Jan 1, 2009, 9:02 PM
Post #118 of 209 (7271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
And again, health care is EXPENSIVE. it won't get cheaper just because the gov't administrates it.

It should get cheaper if the government administers it properly. Insurance companies have to make a profit; government does not.

Health insurance shouldn't even exist. The idea behind insurance is to pool money from many individuals to cover the cost of a rare but expensive event. If everybody has one chance in a million of experiencing a 1 million dollar event, then insurance obviates the need for everyone to have 1 million dollars on hand that they will probably never need. But health isn't like that. Most people will, at some point in their lives, need health care that they will not be able to afford. It's time that we accept that and make health care a public service, like every other modern country on the planet does. The health system (or lack of it) in this country is little more than a giant scam to sell health insurance, an overpriced product that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Jay

reno

Jan 1, 2009, 9:06 PM
Post #119 of 209 (7269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Insurance companies have to make a profit;

Wrong.

matterunomama

Jan 1, 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #120 of 209 (7258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It should get cheaper if the government administers it properly. Insurance companies have to make a profit; government does not.

Health insurance shouldn't even exist. The idea behind insurance is to pool money from many individuals to cover the cost of a rare but expensive event. If everybody has one chance in a million of experiencing a 1 million dollar event, then insurance obviates the need for everyone to have 1 million dollars on hand that they will probably never need. But health isn't like that. Most people will, at some point in their lives, need health care that they will not be able to afford. It's time that we accept that and make health care a public service, like every other modern country on the planet does. The health system (or lack of it) in this country is little more than a giant scam to sell health insurance, an overpriced product that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Jay

Thank you; well stated. We don't get health insurance to go twice a year to get an xray or some antibiotics-thats already "pay as you go" with a high deductible. We get it for the accident whose cost can wipe out our life savings, our house, our income. Do you know that Christopher Reeve exceeded the One Million dollar limit on his policy in one year (quadraplegic)? That was it, they cut him off, not their problem.

There are countries that are astounded that the US doesn't cover University education: we take it for granted that the family pays. By the way, FAFSA is not a program where the government "Gives You Money"; its the LOAN application for Stafford and other loans. Its also used by schools to estimate the family's expected contribution.

We take it for granted that 'if you cannot afford a lawyer you will be provided one by the court'. Some countries have no such protections or presumption of innocence- you must prove it and if you want a damn lawyer you can pay for it yourself. Sometimes this is combined with the right to a free university education if you qualify, so we are not just talking about 'backward' places.

(This post was edited by matterunomama on Jan 1, 2009, 11:39 PM)

onceahardman

Jan 2, 2009, 3:50 AM
Post #121 of 209 (7258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Insurance companies have to make a profit; government does not.

Jay, while I have great respect for your knowledge in several areas, an answer like that tells me you likely have a great deal of academic experience, but little or no private sector administrative experience. But, I could be wrong.

First, do a little homework. Find me a large health insurance company that is turning a profit.

Next, in order for the government to provide a similar level of care as now exists, but costs less, one or more of several things has to happen (NOT an all-inclusive list):

1) payroll has to decrease- doctors, nurses, allied health services (PT,OT, speech, etc), adminstrator payroll must decrease. The best minds won't be doctors here anymore. (except for those working in PRIVATE hospitals, like a Mayo or Cleveland Clinic.) Lots of Canadian doctors have moved here. How many Asian and Indian docs do you see here? Why do you think that is? They have socialized medicine in China. Top MBAs wont work in health care anymore.

2) Taxes will need to go up (a lot).

In reply to:
It should get cheaper if the government administers it properly.

WHERE, exactly, is the evidence the government can administer ANYTHING properly? The Ponzi scheme known as Social Security? (The first ones in the system did very well. YOUR money will be gone long before you are eligible.) I heard the other day there is $101 TRILLION in UNSECURED Social security liability out there. And you are still paying in.

Sorry for ranting. It's not personal, I just get heated about the idea that gov't is the solution.

That said, it's clear their is a problem. I think there needs to be several levels of care, based on one's ability and willingness to pay. That probably means no pain-abatement surgeries, cardiac surgeries, etc., for the lowest tier. Unless you can private pay.

In some ways I agree, there shouldn't be health insurance. Straight fee-for-service, MDs will be forced to compete and lower prices, although the best MDs can charge more, just like any other product. The idea of third-party payers drives up prices.

reno

Jan 2, 2009, 4:07 AM
Post #122 of 209 (7250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In some ways I agree, there shouldn't be health insurance. Straight fee-for-service, MDs will be forced to compete and lower prices, although the best MDs can charge more, just like any other product. The idea of third-party payers drives up prices.

That's the way it used to be, and it worked pretty damn well. If you were sick, you went to the doctor, he did what doctors do, and you paid what you could afford. It was not unheard of for a rural country doctor to be paid with food, livestock, or manual labor (i.e. fix his fence line, paint his barn.)

Then along came "Major Medical" insurance. You paid cash for regular office visits, and the insurance was for, well, major things. Heart attacks, surgery, broken leg, stuff like that. The patient still had an impetus to see the doctor only when it was really necessary, because that meant cash out of pocket.

That insurance became offered by some employers as a means to entice people to come work there. A "benefit" as it were. Then more people/companies began to offer it. And thus it became an expectation, even though it's still called a benefit. And as this continued, people gradually decided that they no longer needed to have as much personal fiscal responsibility.

Add in a couple fantastically stupid government interventions: Price fixing via Medicare/Medicaid, and the COBRA and EMTALA laws. At that point, it all started going south. Insurance companies decided they'd pay the same price as Medicare for services, hospitals and physicians were legally mandated to take care of anyone no matter what, and nobody was required to pay for it.

Oh, and don't forget that during this whole process, the median age in the US went from 28.4 to 36.6 since Medicare began, people are living longer (US set another record for life span last year,) and the ratio of people paying into Medicare vs people taking out of Medicare has declined dramatically.

Meanwhile, we've managed to create/pioneer the greatest advances in medicine ever: Cancer rates (incidence and deaths from) have dropped six years in a row. Mortality rates for 8 of the top 10 causes of death have decreased. New treatments for common diseases have increased.

And on and on and on. And we've done those positives without the government being in control of it. In fact, about the only things that happen when the government DOES get involved are bad things.

jt512

Jan 2, 2009, 4:53 AM
Post #123 of 209 (7246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Find me a large health insurance company that is turning a profit.

"In 2006, the nation's six biggest private health insurers collectively earned almost $11 billion in profits." — Consumer Reports

In reply to:
Next, in order for the government to provide a similar level of care as now exists, but costs less, one or more of several things has to happen (NOT an all-inclusive list):

1) payroll has to decrease- doctors, nurses, allied health services (PT,OT, speech, etc), adminstrator payroll must decrease.

That's fine. Doctors and nurses are overpaid.

In reply to:
The best minds won't be doctors here anymore.

The best minds aren't becoming doctors now, which is good. There are better things for the best minds to do.

In reply to:
Lots of Canadian doctors have moved here. How many Asian and Indian docs do you see here? Why do you think that is? They have socialized medicine in China.

The purpose of a national health care system is not to produce rich doctors; it's to maintain a healthy population. If that makes the US a less attractive target to greedy doctors from other countries, I'm fine with that.

In reply to:
Top MBAs wont work in health care anymore.

Thank god. Then, there's hope.

In reply to:
2) Taxes will need to go up (a lot).

That's fine, since insurance premiums will go down by a greater amount.

In reply to:
In reply to:
It should get cheaper if the government administers it properly.

WHERE, exactly, is the evidence the government can administer ANYTHING properly?

Well, that's the problem. But they seem to do it reasonably well in Europe. We ought to be able to do it here.

Jay

onceahardman

Jan 2, 2009, 5:10 AM
Post #124 of 209 (7240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"In 2006, the nation's six biggest private health insurers collectively earned almost $11 billion in profits." — Consumer Reports

Non-responsive. The task was to find a company (not a selection of six) that IS (not was) turning a profit.

In reply to:
The purpose of a national health care system is not to produce rich doctors; it's to maintain a healthy population. If that makes the US a less attractive target to greedy doctors from other countries, I'm fine with that.

Fewer doctors, with increasing demand. What do you suppose that will do to quality of care?

In reply to:
That's fine, since insurance premiums will go down by a greater amount.

So, you really think the government can provide more services to more people, for less money, than the private sector? Like I said, it's apparent your expertise is purely academic. You have never started and run a successful company.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Jan 2, 2009, 5:11 AM)

reno

Jan 2, 2009, 5:21 AM
Post #125 of 209 (7233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
That's fine. Doctors and nurses are overpaid.

According to whom? You?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook