Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Sep 11, 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #1 of 228 (13677 views)
Shortcut

More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I debated about starting a second thread about this accident, and ultimately decided to do so in order to provide a more appropriate thread title, given the seriousness of the accident. If the mods want to merge the threads, then at least please use my title to alert users that this was a major incident. "2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside" doesn't cut it.

I am disappointed that this incident has not led to more discussion and analysis. It is one of the most serious climbing accidents in a non-alpine environment that I have ever heard of it, involving a fall of over 100 feet, the total failure of a belay anchor, and a dangerous rescue conducted during a severe thunderstorm with golf-ball-sized hail and flash flooding. The shear improbability that no one was killed in this accident is mind-boggling.

To give an idea of just how grim things were, I'm going to do something I don't ordinarily do. Rather than just provide a link, I'm going to post an article in its entirety. The following is the report of Lee Arnson, a member of the highly capable Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit, who assisted in the rescue.

Lee Arnson of the RMRU wrote:
Suicide Rock Rescue

August 31, 2008
Suicide Rock, Idyllwild
2008-027

By Lee Arnson

It's 1:30 in the afternoon and I'm at my office watching the rain come down. Not real heavy, just enough to get the road wet and create that great smell that goes with it. I hear sirens and the see Idyllwild Fire drive by and then shortly thereafter Pine Cove Fire goes by. I figure there is a fire in Fern Valley or possibly a car accident.

A little while later Gwenda calls me and said she heard on her scanner that there is a climber down on Suicide Rock. Now that I know what is going on, I put out a "heads up" for the rest of the team, assuming we are about to be called out to assist. Only a few minutes later, Gwenda called me back and said that Idyllwild Fire was with the subject, I now put out a "90", meaning to abort and stay home. Since these write-ups are both reviews and critiques, I must admit this was my first mistake.

Now I'm just plain curious as to what is going on, so I drive up to the trail head to see if I can at least "observe" Idyllwild Fire in action. This was my second mistake, because if you belong to search and rescue team you don't observe other people doing rescues, you get involved or you don't go at all.

As I'm hiking up to the base of the rock, I meet up with Clark Jacobs, a local legendary climber who witnessed the whole accident. He saw a young couple climbing on a route known as Captain Hook, when all of a sudden the leader falls over 100 feet and lands on his head. Clark was able to get to the climber, who was turning blue and suffering mass trauma to his head. Clark was able to move the climber just enough to open his airway, make sure he was breathing and then call 911. Clark tells me that he has seen many falls in his 40 years of climbing, but this is the worst one ever. I reassure him that he did the right thing, but he is visibly shaken.

We both decide to go up to the site where the climber is now being taken care of by Idyllwild Fire and CDF paramedics.The CDF helicopter has already lowered its medic, and the subject is packaged in a litter, ready to be airlifted to an awaiting ambulance. As the CDF helicopter moves back into position for the hoist, mother nature decided that it wasn't going to happen that easily. The rain turned to hail the size of golf balls and was coming down so heavy that you couldn't even look up any more at the hovering bird, which by now is pulling out because the conditions are to dangerous to fly. Now the mission has turned into a carry out. Henry Negrete from Idyllwild Fire looks at me and asks me to grab the wheel that attaches to the bottom of the litter. Now I'm involved, and we start to bring the climber down in the worst conditions any of us have ever seen. The whole hillside is just melting away from the rain and hail, we are not even sure where the trail is at times, and on top of this the subject is screaming at the top of his lungs in pain. We are doing the best we can in getting this guy down, following Clark Jacobs because he knows the area better than any of us. Mark Lamont from Idyllwild Fire offers me his helmet, because I'm the only one without one, and he pulls his fire jacket over his head. I'll never forget that. We were all getting pummeled from the hail, and going down this hillside in knee deep mud, and the whole time trying to protect the climber.

Eventually, we get down to the flats, and the going gets pretty good all the way to the ambulance. He is loaded up and taken to the helicopter that is waiting at an LZ in Idyllwild.The hail has stopped by now and turned to rain, so the subject is flown to a hospital in Riverside.

Wrap up: Climber no.1 suffered a broken neck, but miraculously is still alive. Permanent damage is yet to be seen. He was wearing a helmet when he fell. The girlfriend suffered fractured cheek bones and numerous contusions from the hail.

Originally posted at http://rmru.org/...s/2008/2008-027.html.

There are so many unanswered questions arising from this accident that other climbers could learn from. Why did the leader build only a 2-piece anchor? Why didn't his supposedly highly experienced partner insist on a better anchor? Was the start of the second pitch really hard to protect, or was failure to put in a piece above the anchor an error made from ignorance or lack of skill? The list could go on and on.

I realize that both climbers are still recovering from their injuries, but I hope that once the are able to, that they can help shed some light on the factors that led to this accident. I'm sure that there are important lessons to be learned from their experience.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Sep 11, 2008, 5:53 PM)

kennoyce

Sep 11, 2008, 6:15 PM
Post #2 of 228 (13614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, just a quick question for you Jay. You mentioned that the partner was a highly experienced climber. I remember in the first thread it said that they were both gym climbers, and it didn't state it, but it sounded like they had limited outdoor experience. Just wondering if there is more info that I have missed on how experienced they both were. I'm not trying to be a jerk, or that no gym climber knows how to climb outside, I am just interested in what exactly happened. Any more info on each climber would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and climb safe.

snoopy138

Sep 11, 2008, 6:21 PM
Post #3 of 228 (13602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Was the start of the second pitch really hard to protect, or was failure to put in a piece above the anchor an error made from ignorance or lack of skill?

I didn't lead that pitch, and it was three or four years ago, but I think there isn't much gear for a while in a weird, left-angling chimney. I think the guidebook lists that section as 5.6, but it's definitely awkward.

snowey

Sep 11, 2008, 6:21 PM
Post #4 of 228 (13601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for starting this thread Jay.

jt512 wrote:

There are so many unanswered questions arising from this accident that other climbers could learn from. Why did the leader build only a 2-piece anchor?
The question that should be asked isn't why the leader built only a 2-piece anchor but rather, why did the leader build a two piece anchor on clearly non-bomber gear and not protect the belay?

jt512 wrote:

Why didn't his supposedly highly experienced partner insist on a better anchor?
The highly experienced partner wasn't that experienced.
"McKay has been climbing many years, though not usually as a leader" (From the article posted in the other thread).
To me this means that the "highly experienced partner" was an avid fan of top roping....in the gym (no disrespect intended).

(This post was edited by snowey on Sep 11, 2008, 6:34 PM)

GeneralZon

Sep 11, 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #5 of 228 (13584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read an LA Times article on this and it didn't say anything about failure at the belay station. The article said the climber slipped trying to place a piece of pro (40ft above the belayer) and then the next piece of pro blew out and he decked. Can you link the original story? Thanks.

majid_sabet

Sep 11, 2008, 6:31 PM
Post #6 of 228 (13567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralZon] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

could someone define highly experienced partner?

or highly experienced belayer or leader ?

GeneralZon

Sep 11, 2008, 6:34 PM
Post #7 of 228 (13559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A 21 and 22 y.o. that is considered highly experience in anything is where the mistake begins.

jt512

Sep 11, 2008, 6:54 PM
Post #8 of 228 (13514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralZon] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GeneralZon wrote:
A 21 and 22 y.o. that is considered highly experience in anything is where the mistake begins.

I don't remember whether it was in the other thread on this site, or on Supertopo.com, but the belayer was described as having been a climber since she was three years. Elsewhere, someone (maybe her) said that she didn't usually lead. I could speculate about what that means about her relevant experience, but I'd rather hear her thoughts on the matter.

Jay

reg

Sep 11, 2008, 6:57 PM
Post #9 of 228 (13503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GeneralZon wrote:
I read an LA Times article on this and it didn't say anything about failure at the belay station. The article said the climber slipped trying to place a piece of pro (40ft above the belayer) and then the next piece of pro blew out and he decked. Can you link the original story? Thanks.

my understanding was the belay was a re-direct, he fell the 40 slammed the belayer into the wall cold cockin her and the belay was lost thus the long fall. my god - 100' head first! i think he ended up wedged behind a tree. correct? probably saved his life. ya know what i just said doesn't explain the failed anchor. hummm.....

majid_sabet

Sep 11, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #10 of 228 (13482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What I am really interested to know is this;

1-How many KN of forces two mid size cam can handle (placed in the best solid location).

2- How much forces will apply to anchor by these two falling climbers (one is taking 40+ footer and the other is falling off belay on his sling, daisy or cord…..whatever ).

billl7

Sep 11, 2008, 7:09 PM
Post #11 of 228 (13479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post, Jay.

Trevor, Claire, I hope you'll brave the wilds of RC.com and shed some light.

Mostly, best wishes in your recovery.

Bill L

reg

Sep 11, 2008, 7:13 PM
Post #12 of 228 (13470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
What I am really interested to know is this;

1-How many KN of forces two mid size cam can handle (placed in the best solid location).

2- How much forces will apply to anchor by these two falling climbers (one is taking 40+ footer and the other is falling off belay on his sling, daisy or cord…..whatever ).

i don't believe she came off the ledge but was knocked out and the rope ran throught the device. still doesn't explain the anchor failure. i'm lost.

Partner cracklover

Sep 11, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #13 of 228 (13458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would someone be willing to provide a synopsis of what's known already? Or at least links?

Thanks,

GO

zeke_sf

Sep 11, 2008, 7:23 PM
Post #14 of 228 (13441 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has it been completely cleared up yet whether the anchor failed or if she lost control of the belay? Does anybody have information about the belay location? I read somewhere that the obvious, comfy ledge doesn't afford great protection...

Also, I'd like some clarification on the SCMU guide across the way a coupla weeks ago who my buddy and I saw belaying off a single .75 while using a hip belay... And this wasn't a stance belay.

notapplicable

Sep 11, 2008, 7:27 PM
Post #15 of 228 (13430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems that this was an all around failure to adaquetly protect the climbing. Whether that was a concious choice at any, or all stages is unknown but it could be a combination of both.

I've climbed above less than ideal anchors a few times in my short career but never when the climbing itself was poorly protected or there was any measurable chance of a fall. Idealy the anchor is bomb proof at all times but that goes double when the climbing above has suspect protection.

Gotta wonder about the two piece, unidirectional anchor, an odd choice indeed.

snoopy138

Sep 11, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #16 of 228 (13385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
Has it been completely cleared up yet whether the anchor failed or if she lost control of the belay? Does anybody have information about the belay location? I read somewhere that the obvious, comfy ledge doesn't afford great protection...

Also, I'd like some clarification on the SCMU guideSCMA member/evaluator across the way a coupla weeks ago who my buddy and I saw belaying off a single .75 while using a hip belay... And this wasn't a stance belay.

fixed that for you. it's not really all that pertinent to the thread, though.

billl7

Sep 11, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #17 of 228 (13369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As for general public information, I don't think much more is clear than a) both anchor pro and pro on lead came out, b) belayer was stunned and/or lost conciousness, c) belay-control was lost, and d) the leader fell off the second pitch and down through the height of the first pitch while the belayer remained on the belay ledge. And there isn't really an established order to those.

I've seen contradictory statements about whether the leader actually hit the belayer versus the belayer slammed into the wall by lead-fall force through the rope. That's not to say these are the only two possibilities to result an stunned/unconcious belayer.

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Sep 11, 2008, 7:55 PM)

jt512

Sep 11, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #18 of 228 (13366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Would someone be willing to provide a synopsis of what's known already? Or at least links?

Thanks,

GO

The thread at supertopo.com
The original rc.com thread

jt512

Sep 11, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #19 of 228 (13350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
Has it been completely cleared up yet whether the anchor failed or if she lost control of the belay?

It was both! The anchor failed. The belayer was knocked unconscious and lost control of the belay.

If you make a list of everything that went wrong in this accident -- from anchor failures to the helicopter getting caught in a severe thunderstorm mid-rescue -- it is clear that this accident could have been a major disaster. That's why I think it deserves more attention than it has gotten.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Sep 11, 2008, 7:58 PM)

trenchdigger

Sep 11, 2008, 8:01 PM
Post #20 of 228 (13340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I debated about starting a second thread about this accident, and ultimately decided to do so in order to provide a more appropriate thread title, given the seriousness of the accident.

There are so many unanswered questions arising from this accident that other climbers could learn from. Why did the leader build only a 2-piece anchor? Why didn't his supposedly highly experienced partner insist on a better anchor? Was the start of the second pitch really hard to protect, or was failure to put in a piece above the anchor an error made from ignorance or lack of skill? The list could go on and on.

I realize that both climbers are still recovering from their injuries, but I hope that once the are able to, that they can help shed some light on the factors that led to this accident. I'm sure that there are important lessons to be learned from their experience.

Jay

I totally agree that there can be a lot to learn about this accident. Thanks for posting the RMRU report too. I think your post may be a bit premature though, because as you mentioned, we still know very little about the facts of this incident. I hope you'll revive this thread when more information becomes available.

There are a number of factors which may have contributed to the severity of this accident. I addressed those in a thread on another board about this accident as a general "lessons learned" ideas (copied below) based on accident reports that were available at the time.

1.) Make sure you have adequate gear with you to properly protect your route. If you find that you don't have enough gear to safely continue, consider bailing from the route. Your life and health are worth more than a couple of pieces of gear.

2.) Build BOMBPROOF anchors that can withstand the greatest possible force generated by the worst possible situation. A two-piece trad anchor is rarely sufficient.

3.) Make sure the anchor is multi-directional. We can't tell why their anchor failed, but it is possible that it was unable to withstand an upward pull. A piece placed to prevent that may have helped.

4.) When possible, build the anchor where the belayer is out of the way of a falling leader, rocks, etc.

5.) Avoid high fall-factor falls. Place gear immediately after leaving a belay even if the climbing is easy. If you can't, know that you're risking the worst possible fall in a rock climbing scenario. Combining that with a questionable anchor makes matters significantly worse. If you can't properly protect a route, bailing is always an option to consider.

6.) Don't be afraid to point out safety issues when you're climbing. Ask your partner to add another piece to the anchor, place more gear on lead, get the rope out from behind their leg, or consider bailing from a route if you can't safely proceed. Don't let your ego or fear of hurting someone's feelings get in the way.

7.) Wear your helmet - both when leading and when belaying. In this case, the helmet is likely to have saved the leader's life.

I look forward to hearing any details the climbers involved are willing to contribute. Further speculation about the specifics of what happened won't get us anywhere.

tomcat

Sep 11, 2008, 8:04 PM
Post #21 of 228 (13333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't imagine anyone who has climbed a long time has not belayed from a two piece anchor.Or one that really had just one good piece and some lesser.

Some folks carry doubles of stuff,I rarely do.People who climb with less stuff tend to juggle gear a bit more.It's never been a problem for me,or lots of other skilled climbers.

Usually in discussion of belay anchors and first pieces the point is made that unless you are using a gri-gri or a munter,if the jesus piece fails,you will forfeit the needed bend back at the belay device as the falling climber passes the belay and be unable to stop the falling climber regardless.For that reason alone, always consider discussion about redirects and anchor equalization academic at best.Personally I think the importance of that first piece far outweighs anchor equalization,or numbers of pieces.

zeke_sf

Sep 11, 2008, 8:08 PM
Post #22 of 228 (13328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
Has it been completely cleared up yet whether the anchor failed or if she lost control of the belay?

It was both! The anchor failed. The belayer was knocked unconscious and lost control of the belay.

If you make a list of everything that went wrong in this accident -- from anchor failures to the helicopter getting caught in a severe thunderstorm mid-rescue -- it is clear that this accident could have been a major disaster. That's why I think it deserves more attention than it has gotten.

Jay

Thanks, Bill and Jay, for clarifying. Pretty bad stuff.

I also remember it was medium/larger cams and a nut involved. Aside from the fact 3+ pieces is the "standard" for traditional anchors, you'd still expect two well-placed pieces should hold that fall, yet they obiously didn't. I wonder, rock failure or placement failure?

zeke_sf

Sep 11, 2008, 8:11 PM
Post #23 of 228 (13321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:

Also, I'd like some clarification on the SCMU guideSCMA member/evaluator across the way a coupla weeks ago who my buddy and I saw belaying off a single .75 while using a hip belay... And this wasn't a stance belay.

fixed that for you. it's not really all that pertinent to the thread, though.

To the contrary, I think it shows what you Suicide climbers are all about. Okay, it doesn't.

billl7

Sep 11, 2008, 8:14 PM
Post #24 of 228 (13316 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] More on the Suicide Rock Accident (100-ft fall, total anchor failure) - 8/31/08 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tomcat wrote:
Usually in discussion of belay anchors and first pieces the point is made that unless you are using a gri-gri or a munter,if the jesus piece fails,you will forfeit the needed bend back at the belay device as the falling climber passes the belay and be unable to stop the falling climber regardless.

Unless one always re-directs through the anchor, there's almost always space/time for the leader to fall before placing the "jesus nut". If so then the belayer needs to routinely make the switch in brake hand position once the "jesus nut" is placed. After that, being able to switch back in time if the "jesus nut" fails is dodgey at best.

(This post was edited by billl7 on Sep 11, 2008, 8:18 PM)

Carolyn11

Sep 11, 2008, 8:41 PM
Post #25 of 228 (13253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Correct me if I am wrong here but there are circumstances where a two piece anchor is acceptable. certainly in ice climbing and some alpine environments as well as perhaps fourth class rock scrambles. As I rule I always build 3 piece anchors when rock climbing but I have seen many including highly experienced leaders build two piece anchors on climbs they felt where well below their limits.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook