Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

timstich

Sep 7, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #1 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Hiker death on Longs Peak
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

From the Denver Post, 9/7/04:

ROCKY MTN. NATIONAL PARK

Lost climber's body found on Longs Peak

The body of a 26-year-old man was found on the summit of Longs Peak on
Sunday afternoon - the first death at the mountain this year.

The man, who was from India but living in Fort Collins, was last seen on
the mountain, above 14,000 feet, at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, parks spokeswoman Kyle Patterson said. Park staff were notified at 6 p.m. that he had not returned to his two hiking partners.

The exact cause of death had not been determined, and the man's name was not released Sunday.

The mountain had snow, high winds and below-freezing temperatures Saturday and Sunday, Peterson said.

The man was found wearing tennis shoes, jeans and a hooded sweat shirt.

killclimbz

Sep 7, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #2 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hiker death on Longs Peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, it is amazing this does not happen more often. People hike that in flip flops and no water or food. It was well known that the weather was going to be tough. I am sorry that this happened but it seems that so many people have no sense of self preservation.

alan_ellis

Sep 7, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #3 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I will be waiting in anitcipation as to the reason why he died.

I read another source where hypothermia was suspected. When are these idiots going to realize that cotton and jeans are a death sentence in the mountains if they get wet.

johnhemlock

Sep 7, 2004, 3:47 PM
Post #4 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I read another source where hypothermia was suspected. When are these idiots going to realize that cotton and jeans are a death sentence in the mountains if they get wet.

That seems a bit harsh. Are the mountains only for those who wear Goretex and Schoeller? All this speculation makes me feel like I'm watching Fox News.

killclimbz

Sep 7, 2004, 3:50 PM
Post #5 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

That seems a bit harsh. Are the mountains only for those who wear Goretex and Schoeller? All this speculation makes me feel like I'm watching Fox News.

I would say no. Given the circumstances, and the bad weather was expected, it was foolish for him to be out there, and he payed the price. Longs may be one of the most popular 14'ers, but it also has lots sections that if you screw up that is it. Add rain and snow and it becomes treacherous for those who are well prepared. He probably would have been fine, if it was a sunny pleasant day...

timstich

Sep 7, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #6 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It is highly likely that he got into whiteout conditions as the snow moved in and he got hypothermic. Before I moved to Colorado I had not encountered this sort of sudden drop in temps in the mountains. It made a distinct impression on me the first time. I won't head into the mountains without fleece and rain pants/jacket even in summer. Been cold in the wind too many times.

gds

Sep 7, 2004, 4:22 PM
Post #7 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I don't think so. Sure it's sad that someone dies but the numbers of folks who go out into conditions for which they are totally unprepared is really astonishing. And it creates lots of situations like this.

And it isn't just the high mountains. I live in the desert and hike low peaks here all the time. I often come across folks that are out in the desert for hours with no or little water. It's just plain stupid and dangerous.

So it isn't the comments which are harsh-- only the outcome.

mtnjunkie

Sep 7, 2004, 4:24 PM
Post #8 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, folks, hawk233's post had a little bit of dry humor in it.

Anyway, I've always been surprised that there aren't more accidents like this on 14ers as well. I don't think you need hundreds of dollars worth of gear to "climb" the mountains. Had he of had a $10 poncho (which seem to be quite popular in Estes during the afternoon t-showers) he might be alive today.

crimpandgo

Sep 7, 2004, 4:38 PM
Post #9 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the term "Harsh" was meant in reference to your lack of compassion for a fellow man. The hiker obviously made a fatal mistake and paid a stiff price. If you think you are completely above making a mistake that could cost you your life, keep on calling the victims idiots :shock:

I would like to extend my sympathies to the man. He made a mistake. I only wish that he would have been lucky enough to live through the mistake to learn for the next time. :cry:

johnhemlock

Sep 7, 2004, 4:40 PM
Post #10 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was hiking with Carlos Carsolio once on the way to do some paragliding and he got lost. In the hills overlooking his town. On a path he's hiked many times before. So I guess it happens to everyone. Not much downside to getting disoriented in the town parks of Mexico, though.

csproul

Sep 7, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #11 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also think that it is a little"harsh" to judge the results without knowing what really happened. He may have simply had a heart attack and died and this may have had nothing to do with the conditions.

mother_sheep

Sep 7, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #12 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So much speculation. Listen to all of you. Hell, the guy may have taken a tumble or maybe he was blown off the peak like others have, for all we know.

What were his partners wearing? hmmmmmmm?

Of course I think the guy probably met his demise because he was not prepared for the elements. But why don't you people wait until they release the facts before you start arguing with eachother about what he may or may not have done wrong.

Are you people trying to educate or feed your egos?

gds

Sep 7, 2004, 4:48 PM
Post #13 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think the term "Harsh" was meant in reference to your lack of compassion for a fellow man. The hiker obviously made a fatal mistake and paid a stiff price. If you think you are completely above making a mistake that could cost you your life, keep on calling the victims idiots :shock:

I would like to extend my sympathies to the man. He made a mistake. I only wish that he would have been lucky enough to live through the mistake to learn for the next time. :cry:

I don't think that anyone doesn't feel bad for the poor guy. But it is wrong to lump all mistakes into the same grouping. Yes we all make mistakes. But hiking high peaks without proper clothing, not having water, not having a map & compass, etc are quite different from many others. The decision to go out unprepared is made at rest in a safe situation and you can take all the time you want making the decision. Making a mistake on the go in a high stress situation is -to me- very different. Sure it can get you just as dead but it is not the same thing.

It's like driving drunk. Sure you can have an accident while sober but being drunk just changes things- a lot.

To me going up a 14,000 footer in CO in September with only light cotton clothing is more like driving drunk. So the death is sad but the nature of the death is not the same as if it resulted from a different type of mistake.

killclimbz

Sep 7, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #14 of 124 (13231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So much speculation. Listen to all of you. Hell, the guy may have taken a tumble or maybe he was blown off the peak like others have, for all we know.

Of course I think the guy probably met his demise because he was not prepared for the elements. But why don't you people wait until they release the facts before you start arguing with eachother about what he may or may not have done wrong.

I'm just trying to feed my ego...

mother_sheep

Sep 7, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #15 of 124 (13231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Good job! Want a cookie?

petro

Sep 7, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #16 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The issue is that someone died.

Too many people belive that mountains are happy little things best portrayed protruding from the mist of a hastily painted Bob Ross painting. Incidents like these should remind us all that mountains cannot be kept in styrofoam under heat lamps to be quickly served to our fast food society. Mountains can show their teeth, and will punish arrogance, unpreparedness, and bad decisions with overwhelming force no matter how many roads we carve into them, or bulls-eyes we paint along their paths.

I got a fortune cookie last week... "Expect the best, but prepare for the worst."

Be careful out there, use your head, and remember that there are no reset buttons on life.

noshoesnoshirt

Sep 7, 2004, 5:04 PM
Post #17 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

ROCKY MTN. NATIONAL PARK

Lost climber's body found on Longs Peak.

Emphasis is mine.
Odd that nobody jumped right on this bit....

dingus

Sep 7, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #18 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am sorry that this happened but it seems that so many people have no sense of self preservation.

There are 6 billion humans and the number is rising annually. This tends to dismiss your point about self-preservation. Most people, the vast majority in fact, have excellent self-preservation senses. We're talking ONE death here.

DMT

mother_sheep

Sep 7, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #19 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

ROCKY MTN. NATIONAL PARK

Lost climber's body found on Longs Peak.

Emphasis is mine.
Odd that nobody jumped right on this bit....

Yeah, that's about par for the course. They always call hikers climbers when they're are rocks or peaks within range. That's an easy way to tell that the author IS NOT a climber.

dingus

Sep 7, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #20 of 124 (13231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

When are these idiots going to realize that cotton and jeans are a death sentence in the mountains if they get wet.

Bout the same time you idiots realize that when the park service establishes trails tourists are going to hike them in (gasp!) whatever they happen to be wearing.

DMT

killclimbz

Sep 7, 2004, 5:15 PM
Post #21 of 124 (13231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I am sorry that this happened but it seems that so many people have no sense of self preservation.

There are 6 billion humans and the number is rising annually. This tends to dismiss your point about self-preservation. Most people, the vast majority in fact, have excellent self-preservation senses. We're talking ONE death here.

DMT

Unfortunately I didn't say they were dying in droves. Just that people go out into situations, or take actions without any regards what so ever for the consequences. Go for a drive on any major interstate for examples.
So yeah, you have a point. Then again how many car accidents that result in deaths, could be avoided annually, by simply slowing down? Again, a lack of self-preservation in my eyes. 6 billion people and growing just shows that there are a lot of people F*&!ing and having babies before they die. Either way, it's a fairly unsceintific view, just observation.

dingus

Sep 7, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #22 of 124 (13231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Had he of had a $10 poncho (which seem to be quite popular in Estes during the afternoon t-showers) he might be alive today.

Funny how this thread goes from a dead body on the summit of Longs, cause of death unknown, to the potential Life Save of a Ten Dollar Poncho.

DMT

killclimbz

Sep 7, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #23 of 124 (13231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Good job! Want a cookie?

Sure, do you have any thin mints?

dingus

Sep 7, 2004, 5:19 PM
Post #24 of 124 (21656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But it is wrong to lump all mistakes into the same grouping.

Fact is, you don't know what killed the man. So you don't know what mistakes contributed to his demise. So lumping any mistakes seems a bit... premature.

DMT

johnhemlock

Sep 7, 2004, 5:20 PM
Post #25 of 124 (12252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Too many people belive that mountains are happy little things best portrayed protruding from the mist of a hastily painted Bob Ross painting. Incidents like these should remind us all that mountains cannot be kept in styrofoam under heat lamps to be quickly served to our fast food society. Mountains can show their teeth, and will punish arrogance. ..

If the mountains punish arrogance then I feel sorry for many folks in this forum. Mountains are actually pleasant, wonderful places to be unless you are trying to take one from an Italian gun position or climb one on an avalanche slope. Making them out to be grim war-chambers is silly and self-aggrandizing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook