Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

alpnclmbr1

May 25, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #101 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Re: I decked today [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that this has never happened before.
Also, as far as I know, it has never even come close to happening. Ie. I have never seen or even heard of a functional draw damaged in this manner.

sarcat

May 25, 2005, 6:09 PM
Post #102 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I was out climbing right now instead of stuck in the office pseudo-climbing on rc.com.

vegastradguy

May 25, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #103 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well, as alpnclmbr1 said, I was about 5 feet above the first bolt which was 10 feet off the deck. When I fell and got to the point that I was 5 feet off the ground, the rope and draw were weighted. During the next 6 inches (or so) of falling, the draw was being dragged across the sharp edge. It was during this portion of the fall that the draw was severed. I previously mentioned that I was 1 1/2 to 2 feet to the right of the first bolt when I fell. It is very likely that the weighting of the draw caused me to swing approximately this distance back to the left, but in the fraction of a second I was falling I didn't happen to notice this effect. I don't see how it is relevant anyway.

Does this explanation help with your understanding at all? If not, what exactly are you saying should have happened that didn't happen? Also, my description of the fall in the original post didn't detail issues such as the amount of swing I experienced. Do you assume that because I didn't mention any deviation from a vertical flight path that I was inferring that I fell straight down? I don't have it on videotape, so I can't be sure of much more than I've already articualted. However, I will engage in a civilized discussion of the accident for the benefit of us all. Keep the questions coming.

well, that makes more sense. from the sound of your original post it was like you fell straight down and the draw snapped the instant it was weighted and did not slow you down or spent any time under tension.

the fact that it was weighted and from the side over a sharp edge does make sense, but i have to say- if the edge is that sharp, someone better move that bolt post-haste...

jw11733

May 25, 2005, 6:33 PM
Post #104 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think sharp edge did not cut the webbing, tension from the rolling biner did it.

With 22kN spectra? So you think there was an 11+ kN impact force? I don't think so, or he would have squished out of his harness like toothpaste. It was cut by an edge for sure.

This is a very thought provoking incident, one to learn from. (What's the lesson?) Thanks for posting JBell, and I'm glad you were OK!

Partner slacklinejoe

May 25, 2005, 6:33 PM
Post #105 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I the only person who carries different length draws to make sure the biners don't hit the rock poorly? If it had been a longer or shorter draw it may not have rubbed so poorly under a fall.

jbell2355

May 25, 2005, 6:48 PM
Post #106 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alpnclmbr1- Does the fact that you haven't heard of this happening mean that it can't happen? What is your problem? Just relax...quit trying to discredit me. Allow me to post the pictues and see for yourself. The QD was like new...I fell and it was cut through. Those are the germane facts.

Why on Earth would I lie about this? I'm not some 14 year old kid trying to get some attention. I'm a professional businessman who loves to climb. I had a really shitty experience that I hope to help other people avoid. In my opinion this is one of those very rare threads that could be very helpful to a number of climbers and you're sabotaging it. Leave well enough alone. Didn't your mother teach you the golden rule? If you don't have anything nice to say, shut your f'in' mouth!

vegastradguy

May 25, 2005, 7:03 PM
Post #107 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Biner works as pulley in this case causing a 2-1 mechanical advantage on that webbing

want to clarify this one?

In reply to:
, I think sharp edge did not cut the webbing, tension from the rolling biner did it.( Pulley increased the force by 2x and rolling biner is the biner loose in the little gap inside the sling)

what? this makes no sense.

In reply to:
also webbing is cut from sewn( The weakest part of the sling) most knots reduces the strength of the webbing or rope by 30% .

no, it's not. look at the picture, the cut is an inch above the bartacks. and, if you want to get technical, a bartack is the strongest part of the sling, not the weakest. on a knotted sling, the weakest part is the knot- but this has nothing to do with what happened.

also, jw has a point- if, by some act of God, jbell actually was able to generate over 22kn of force during a 5' fall onto a bolt, he would be a pile of slimy goo on the rock. theres no way he could have even remotely approached that kind of force in a fall as described.

go back to climbing school, majid, everything you say is completely wrong.

tradnomad

May 25, 2005, 7:07 PM
Post #108 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Didn't your mother teach you the golden rule? If you don't have anything nice to say, shut your f'in' mouth!

Come on now, if everyone listened to this rc.com would be a boring place :lol:

majid_sabet

May 25, 2005, 7:15 PM
Post #109 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mr .Vegas with all respect, I am not going to argue with you or any one else, the only time I will do that is when I found out that you are either in the same level of skill and knowledge with me or higher.

vegastradguy

May 25, 2005, 7:16 PM
Post #110 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mr .Vegas with all respect, I am not going to argue with you or any one else, the only time I will do that is when I found out that you are either in the same level of skill and knowledge with me or higher.

:lol:

okay, kiddo, you go ahead and do that.

jcpace

May 25, 2005, 7:24 PM
Post #111 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Biner works as pulley in this case causing a 2-1 mechanical advantage on that webbing, I think sharp edge did not cut the webbing, tension from the rolling biner did it.( Pulley increased the force by 2x and rolling biner is the biner loose in the little gap inside the sling) also webbing is cut from sewn( The weakest part of the sling) most knots reduces the strength of the webbing or rope by 30% .

What?!

alpnclmbr1

May 25, 2005, 7:28 PM
Post #112 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess everyone missed the fact that when you fall on a single bolt on less then vertical slab, the draw will not even touch the rock in a fall.

The only times that a draw drags on the rock with force is with a bolt on a less then vertical section following an undercut overhanging section. (this is usually how old project draws break)

The other time the draw drags on the rock is when someone takes a greater than 15 foot ride on a sustained slab.

chuckle

jcpace

May 25, 2005, 7:28 PM
Post #113 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
alpnclmbr1- Does the fact that you haven't heard of this happening mean that it can't happen? What is your problem? Just relax...quit trying to discredit me.

I agree. alpnclmbr1, you're an ass.

pheenixx

May 25, 2005, 7:30 PM
Post #114 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Am I the only person who carries different length draws to make sure the biners don't hit the rock poorly? If it had been a longer or shorter draw it may not have rubbed so poorly under a fall.

Please explain WHY the length of the draw would have mattered..?

Whether the length of the draw was 4" or 10" - it is a "static" piece of pro (thus NOT absorbing any shock). It would have still rubbed (possibly) the edge at the same "edge location" and cut (if that's what it did). the spectra at that same point..no..?? Unless the stress was on the biner end and that load of "rock edge/spectra/biner sandwich" is the dynamic that severed the spectra.

fitzontherocks

May 25, 2005, 7:30 PM
Post #115 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Priceless, this thread.

OK, real question here-- and jbell, I stand by my earlier statement. You're doing a service to climbers here, so thanks large for that. My question is a theoretical one. At the risk of totally re-directing this thread (yet again), chipping is not a big problem where I climb, but what are the ethics of chipping the offending edge/nub so that this incident wouldn't happen again? I read someone suggest moving the bolt. Seems like that's no less offensive than chipping off the little razor-nubbin. Anyone?

alpnclmbr1

May 25, 2005, 7:34 PM
Post #116 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
alpnclmbr1- Does the fact that you haven't heard of this happening mean that it can't happen? What is your problem? Just relax...quit trying to discredit me.

That is better than being an idiot.

This was the op of a thread.

In reply to:
I lost one of my BD neutrino quickdraws at JTree this past weekend (5/06/05) and am wondering if anyone picked it up. I am not quite sure where and when it was lost, but i was at Headstone, Saddle rock, lenticular dome, and n. astro dome. if you have found it, you can PM me or write me at joshpace@gmail.com. thanks.

chuckle

alpnclmbr1

May 25, 2005, 7:36 PM
Post #117 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That is better than being an ______.

This was the op of a thread.

In reply to:
I lost one of my BD neutrino quickdraws at JTree this past weekend (5/06/05) and am wondering if anyone picked it up. I am not quite sure where and when it was lost, but i was at Headstone, Saddle rock, lenticular dome, and n. astro dome. if you have found it, you can PM me or write me at joshpace@gmail.com. thanks.

chuckle

vegastradguy

May 25, 2005, 7:43 PM
Post #118 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess everyone missed the fact that when you fall on a single bolt on less then vertical slab, the draw will not even touch the rock in a fall.

The only times that a draw drags on the rock with force is with a bolt on a less then vertical section following an undercut overhanging section. (this is usually how old project draws break)

The other time the draw drags on the rock is when someone takes a greater than 15 foot ride on a sustained slab.

um, where does it say that he fell on a less than vertical slab?

(i am, however, waiting to see a picture of this route....)

pheenixx

May 25, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #119 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That is better than being an idiot.
My dictionary seems to equate the two. Ass=Idiot, def: don't climb with either.

majid_sabet

May 25, 2005, 7:51 PM
Post #120 of 188 (26786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any time you take a soft gear such as webbing, rope, sling etc and you bend a loop, that loop itself becomes the weakest part of that system or webbing etc. Now once you use either a sewn or use a knot to attach the loop, the attachment becomes the weakest part however every thing else contributes to the weakness of the system. Using a biner in between webbing creates a mechanical advantage meaning the force or the weight of the object is divided equally to both sides therefore you can pull the object easier but here we are not pulling the object since our object is a dead bolt in some rock, if your webbing is rated at 2000 lbs with a loop now you have 4000 lbs strength in that system without the sewn or knot, once you have any sewn or knot, the strength reduces by some # near 30% +-.

during leader fall, this tension is slowly transferred from the biner to the sling until the material starts to pull and then you will have a snap (in most cases they brake from the knot or sewn or near it), I have not seen one that brakes from the middle and if you have any info on seen one webbing that snapped from the center without any cut or damages cause by sharp edges let me know.

If there is a full tension on the sling and you bring any sharp objects to this picture, it will snap and we all know that, so let’s turn that sling around and examine the cut. I still think that sling got snapped by tension not from a sharp edge.

crimpandgo

May 25, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #121 of 188 (26785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned that this has never happened before.
Also, as far as I know, it has never even come close to happening. Ie. I have never seen or even heard of a functional draw damaged in this manner.

Why do you say this has never happened before? There have been several threads on this very topic here on RC. It may be rare, but it does happen.

vegastradguy

May 25, 2005, 7:58 PM
Post #122 of 188 (26785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any time you take a soft gear such as webbing, rope, sling etc and you bend a loop, that loop itself becomes the weakest part of that system or webbing etc. Now once you use either a sewn or use a knot to attach the loop, the attachment becomes the weakest part however every thing else contributes to the weakness of the system. Using a biner in between webbing creates a mechanical advantage meaning the force or the weight of the object is divided equally to both sides therefore you can pull the object easier but here we are not pulling the object since our object is a dead bolt in some rock, if your webbing is rated at 2000 lbs with a loop now you have 4000 lbs strength in that system without the sewn or knot, once you have any sewn or knot, the strength reduces by some # near 30% +-.

majid, look, you are focusing on how weak this gear is. it's not. it's rated to 22kn- by and large, a sport climbing fall cannot possibly generate this kind of force.

In reply to:
during leader fall, this tension is slowly transferred from the biner to the sling until the material starts to pull and then you will have a snap (in most cases they brake from the knot or sewn or near it), I have not seen one that brakes from the middle and if you have any info on seen one webbing that snapped from the center without any cut or damages cause by sharp edges let me know.

by this logic, all runners will snap in half when weighted by a fall.

In reply to:
If there is a full tension on the sling and you bring any sharp objects to this picture, it will snap and we all know that, so let’s turn that sling around and examine the cut. I still think that sling got snapped by tension not from a sharp edge.

that's exactly what happened- full tension across a sharp edge! have you actually read this thread or are you just making shit up to suit what you do know about climbing gear?

your thoughts are so bizarre, i'm suprised you climb at all. by your own logic, climbing is far too dangerous to even attempt.

jw11733

May 25, 2005, 8:01 PM
Post #123 of 188 (26785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alpnclmbr1,

Ok, what do you think happened? What broke the draw? Enlighten us.

crimpandgo

May 25, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #124 of 188 (26785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I am not an expert but you should be able to look at the damaged area and determine a pull tear from a cut tear. And if the rating of the sling is 22kN, the sling would have been pre-damaged or defective to break due to force. As everyone else has mentioned, the climber lived to tell you this story, so obviously he did not feel 22kn of force.

ikefromla

May 25, 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #125 of 188 (26785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Even on sport routes where rock fall is not a problem, you should still wear your helmet. There is no downside to wearing it,
unless you are trying to climb at your limit, in which case the downside is that it is cumbersome.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook