RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Jamie_B

May 6, 2013, 1:12 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3297 views)
Shortcut

Hurting my Upper arm/shoulder
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have just hurt my upper arm (or shoulder, hard to tell exactly what hurts) for the second time in 4 months. 1st time was my right arm, now its my left but the pain in the the exact same place. Is this something I just have to deal with or could I be doing something wrong? Is there any way to stop this happening again because it means I cannot climb for a while (last time was a week, I'll give it longer this time as it stillh urts a bit).

Jamie_B

May 6, 2013, 3:02 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tfinney110] Hurting my Upper arm/shoulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for your informative reply.

onceahardman

May 6, 2013, 9:36 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jamie_B] Hurting my Upper arm/shoulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jamie_B wrote:
I have just hurt my upper arm (or shoulder, hard to tell exactly what hurts) for the second time in 4 months. 1st time was my right arm, now its my left but the pain in the the exact same place. Is this something I just have to deal with or could I be doing something wrong? Is there any way to stop this happening again because it means I cannot climb for a while (last time was a week, I'll give it longer this time as it stillh urts a bit).

This is way too short on detail to enable me to be helpful.

(1) If it is in the exact same place, why can you not describe exactly what that place is?

(2) What, exactly, were you doing when you injured it?

(3) What motions cause the worst symptoms? Be specific, i.e. shoulder flexion, abduction, scaption, external/internal rotation with/without resistance, elbow flexion/extension, pronation, etc. If you don't know what these terms mean, then you should really begin your treatment by familiarizing yourself with basic shoulder physiology.

Or, just go hire an orthopedic surgeon to tell you what you did.

Jamie_B

May 7, 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Hurting my Upper arm/shoulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. It's hard to tell where it was coming from, all I can say is that it is between the upper half of my upper arm and my shoulder (including the shoulder).

2. The first time it happened I slipped on a hold so all my weight unexpectedly fell onto my right arm, the second time it just sort of appeared while I was climbing, I didn't notice until I was on the ground.

3. What caused it to hurt is pulling on it, I haven't found anything that makes it hurt other than things I would do while climbing but I'll look those things up.

ChaseLeoncini

Jun 13, 2013, 5:07 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jamie_B] Hurting my Upper arm/shoulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Look up shoulder bursitis. Start there.
Then try shoulder impingement syndrome, shoulder tendonitis, and frozen shoulder. Im not saying its any of these but after looking these things up you may learn a bit about the physiology of the shoulder as well as narrow your search.

I have bicep tendonitis right now and it is a pain in the upper arm/tip of the shoulder that hurts only when applying pressure. I have full range of motion otherwise.

Edit: Re-reading, it sounds like it is probably that. ^^

(This post was edited by ChaseLeoncini on Jun 13, 2013, 5:09 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook