RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

amsam

May 5, 2002, 4:53 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Concussions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just recently got my second concussion playing ultimate frisbee. My doctor said not to do any strenuous activities for a while, but when I asked him how long it would take before I could get back to climbing, all he said was "It might be a little while"
So, how long should I be taking it easy. When can I go climbing?

Partner iclimbtoo

May 5, 2002, 5:15 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Concussions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it "might be a while" implies that your doc probably wants you to wait a couple of months. However, I am rebellious when it comes to doctors and their perscriptions. I have a stress fracture in my foot and my doc told me NOT TO RUN AT ALL! We had a track meet that night, and not only did I run my fastest split, but our 4x400 team broke the school record. So what I'm saying is that I think sometimes docs can get a little TOO carried away in telling us what to do. My foot hasn't given me any problems lately either, so I don't know...

My suggestion would be to ask your doc first how long is "a little while". Make him give you a straight up answer. Then, you have to make the decision from there. First of all, if you don't have a climbing helmet, you should buy one. (I recommend the BD Half Dome). Secondly, if it seems like too long of a time to wait and you're going to go against your doc, I would say to at least do it indoors on TR only for a while. Too many things could happen outdoors (Falling rocks, falls, etc...). Then maybe after you're docs prescribed time, then go outside and have fun!

Remember though, doctors are doctors for a reason. If you decide to disobey orders, that's YOUR responsibility and YOUR choice.

[ This Message was edited by: iclimbtoo on 2002-05-05 10:17 ]

cragman

May 23, 2002, 4:09 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a little info, concussions are serious. Even if you feel fine consider the effects that can occur even 10 weeks after the accident, headache, nausea, blurry vision and dizzyness. now picture yourself on a lead climb 80' above deck, dizzy nauseaus and with blurry vision. You could end up seriously injured, maybe worst. Go from there and evaluate your situation.

Climb safe,
Manuel

orestes1724

May 26, 2002, 10:22 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i got my second cuncussion when i was 13 snowboarding...i had no choice but to finish boarding down the rest of the way (unless i was going to ride the panzy sleigh...no offence to anyone who has rode on the rescue mobile) and i was fine. i guess it was pretty serious but i was back out there the next week. i would just wait a week or two. get a helmet and just take it really easy. you could still get very hurt but i dont see anything to serious if your very very careful.

kunzie

Jun 13, 2002, 8:53 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

umm, iclimbtoo, I don't wanna sound like some stupid nagging old maid, but if you have a stress fracture, stress is gonna make it fracture more. Ok, it might not hurt now, but try it in the future and it'll ache when you put your climbing shoes on. Doctors did go for 4 years at least in medical school. It's like saying, I've got a greenstick fracture in my arm, but I don't give a rats ass about what my doctors says, I'm gonna do handstands until I collapse.
It's your body you're screwing up.
sorry, just have to have a rant

micahmcguire

Jun 14, 2002, 5:28 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

doc knows best

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook