RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

alcyone

Dec 22, 2004, 6:47 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1089 views)
Shortcut

popping?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Every once in a while, usually after a day of climbing, I get this strange popping in my hip. It happens every time I take a step and can get pretty painful. It usually only lasts a day, and then the following day the entire area around it is sore as hell. I have no idea what it's caused by, and I'm curious to see if anyone has any input. Thanks.

Ashley

gnubbs

Dec 22, 2004, 7:12 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Re: popping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a couple of things that make me suggest seeing a doctor about this one. First, my step father had to have both hips replaced when he was around 40 because of sudden necrosis of femerol head. He said that it started with his hips just being sore and wierd for a couple of days. Next thing you know he couldn't walk. (granted, this is extremely rare.)

Second, I work with orthopedic surgeons everyday and you don't want to ignore something long enough for one of them to get involved. Think carpentry and football players. Those are not pretty surgeries.

If you have insurance spend the couple of hours and go talk to a doctor. Bones can heal well, but joints always seem to be another story.

gnubbs

collegekid

Dec 29, 2004, 7:42 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Re: popping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Note: my experiences are probably completely unrelated to yours.

One day when i was on a 6 or so mile training run for cross country (on hilly pavement), my hip started to bother me on the way up a (lonnnng, think over a mile) hill. On the way down the other side, it started bothering me even more...to the point that i had to walk, and even had trouble with that. I did nothing about it, and it went away (never bothered me to that extent again). For the rest of my running career it bothered me, but not to the point that I couldn't train and race.

For me, the popping felt like a tendon or muscle was sliding over the outside of my hip with each stride (on both sides). I can still notice it slightly when I walk, but it doesn't effect me at all. I think it probably just got extra irritated the one time it really bothered me. Is your popping located within the muscle (outside the joint) or inside? It seems kinda strange to me that climbing, of all things, could cause any sort of pain in the hip joint.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook