RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

crackmeup

May 26, 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1840 views)
Shortcut

Nagging discomfort in A1, ring finger
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've had this issue with my ring finger for a few months:

When I latch onto a jug in a dynamic fashion so that there is sudden pressure on the crease between the ring finger and the palm of my right hand, I experience some degree of pain. I believe that's the A1 pulley. It also hurts when I do deep friction massage lengthwise (from the palm to the finger and back), or if I smack the area against some object.

I have perfect, pain-free range of motion. I can make a fist, play the piano, type, etc. with no pain. I can also climb just fine; I climb everything open-handed, and never have any pain with static movements (even when bouldering at my limit). Of course I don't crimp, that would hurt too. I avoid problems that require crimping (thumb over fingers). If I can send it with an open-hand grip great, if not I skip it.

I became aware of this when trying to do a hangboard training session a few weeks ago, which I stopped short. I hadn't done a hangboard period since December. I haven't stopped climbing, and the problem is not getting better or worse. I tried Dave MacLeod's 30-minute cold water hand soaking, and it doesn't seem to help much.

I got a recommendation for a PT that I will go see, but I'm posting this here just to see what people make of this.

onceahardman

May 27, 2013, 11:03 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackmeup] Nagging discomfort in A1, ring finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, crackmeup,

It's good news that it is not getting worse.

Pulleys heal slowly. Keep it moving, AROM daily. Don't do too much friction massage. Maybe 2 minutes every other day.

Otherwise. it sounds like you are taking pretty good care of it. I'd probably have you back off a little, climb 1-2 times per week, on non-consecutive days.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook