Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Swollen/Painful knuckles on middle fingers.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

ryand1337

Aug 15, 2013, 9:34 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Swollen/Painful knuckles on middle fingers.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing for a little over a year, a couple months back I started having pain and swelling in both my middle finger knuckles. I can no longer make a tight fist or stretch them completely without pain or resistance. I am really not sure what to think of this, I have no idea if its a tendon, ligament or a pulley injury. I went to my doctor and he said it was trigger finger but I know that's not it because my fingers never get stuck in one position.

If anyone has any insight on what this injury is that would be amazing!

onceahardman

Aug 15, 2013, 10:51 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryand1337] Swollen/Painful knuckles on middle fingers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pain and swelling are signs of inflammation. Inflammation of a joint, by definition, is arthritis.

You are putting too much force on your joints. Back off, rest until the pain goes away, but keep the fingers moving.

When you return, try climbing actual rock, more than plastic.

funintheslots

Aug 15, 2013, 2:48 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryand1337] Swollen/Painful knuckles on middle fingers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I stretch my fingers almost every day. Get a 30 second timer, set up the stretch and hold. Gentle but firm, it's not a competition.

I especially concentrate on the driving finger (aka middle finger); it gets at least 3 30-second stretches.

scotchie

Aug 15, 2013, 4:07 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [funintheslots] Swollen/Painful knuckles on middle fingers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Daily stretching has been helping me also. 4 stretches - flexor with palm facing down, flexor with palm facing up, extensor palm down, extensor palm up. I think this also helps with tight muscles from typing.

The original poster indicated it was also painful to stretch. In that case, then rest is the only option until it gets a bit better. Don't stretch if it hurts to do so.

I've read that for long term prevention it might be best to adopt a cyclical training program that involves periods of no climbing, in order to give the joints some time to heal. Cycle between climbing and a different sport, or even work in some easy trad or alpine, which wouldn't put as much stress on the finger joints. I'm not a living example of this, though. I like to climb...

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook