Bus - Laredo to Potrero Chico
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

*thriller*
Deleted

Aug 25, 2004, 2:34 AM
Post #1 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Bus - Laredo to Potrero Chico  (North_America: Mexico: Nuevo_Le_n: El_Potrero_Chico)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey
I read somewhere in a post on this site that you can take the bus from Laredo to monterrey for $17, so I looked into flights to laredo as opposed to monterrey and found that i can save hundreds of dollars, so i'm wondering if someone could fill me in on a bit more of the details. i've been to the potrero before, but i drove, and this time i'll probly be flying - at least part of the way.

has anyone done this before and have the info firsthand? do you get the bus from laredo or nuevo laredo? is it greyhound or another bus line? how often do the busses run? is the bus terminal near the airport? any other info i might need to know??

any help would be great
thank

ian

*thriller*
Deleted

Aug 25, 2004, 1:23 PM
Post #2 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bus - Laredo to Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

anyone done this trip or have any info???

Partner chugach001

Aug 25, 2004, 2:02 PM
Post #3 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

I know Robert Holmes in Miss. has done this. I forget his name on this site. You can email him rhomes@bellavon.net.

Jeff

roc-dude
Deleted

Aug 25, 2004, 2:07 PM
Post #4 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't give you a lot of details because it has been 8 yrs, but I have caught a bus in Dallas to Laredo then switch to another bus that takes you to the main bus terminal in Nuevo Laredo where you catch a bus to Monterrey. I have heard they now have buses that originate in one country and continue on to the other.

It was not hard at all and was pretty fast to do the bus crossing. A quicker way would be to get a cab at the airport to the border walk across the border then get a cab to the main bus terminal in NL. Check with the Lonely planet guide to Mexico they do a good job covering border crossings and tranportation.

chuffinator

Aug 26, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #5 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo!

Take the bus from Laredo to Monterrey. Cost is about $19. Once in Monterrey take the Mina line ($2.00) to Hidalgo. There you go.

chuffinator

Aug 26, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #6 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM me if you need more info.

maracas

Aug 26, 2004, 7:43 PM
Post #7 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before you fly to Laredo, take into account that there are direct bus lines (used by mexicans and mexican-americans) that take you direct from the Houston in the US (about 4 different lines all in the same block) direct to Mty for $US 30, they normally leave at 8:00 p.m. takes about 10:00 hours, and are very reliable and safe, then it is a $US 2 trip from Mty to Hidalgo (every hour I think), for a 1:00 hour trip.

The only downside, is to get to this bus street from the airport takes about 30:00 minutes by car, I do not know how to get there in public transportation, so you might end up paying nicely for the cab ride. But getting to Houston might be cheaper that getting to Laredo since you will probably have to connect in Houston anyway to get to Laredo.

Have a good trip.

*thriller*
Deleted

Dec 17, 2004, 7:52 PM
Post #8 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey
Our trip is fast approaching (11 days!!) so I thought I'd dig up this old thread of mine to see if anyone has more up-to-date directions on the bus from laredo or nuevo laredo to monterrey. Anyone done the trip this year? is it cheaper to walk across and catch a bus on teh mexican side? if so is it worth the effort? my one concern is how often the busses are running - i don't want to be waiting all day for the bus. anyone know what the schedule is like? can't seem to find anything online. Directions to the bus stations on each side of the border would be cool too if anyone knows where to find them.

And if anyone here is going to be there between the 28th of december and the 7th of january we'll be the couple in the yellow MEC tent at La Posada with the caguamas in-hand after a day of climbing the easy stuff! come and say hi - us canadians are friendly folk, eh?

-Ian

slavetogravity

Dec 17, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #9 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flew South West Airlines Seattle to Sanatonio Texas. 86.00 dollars
Sanantonio to Laredo. Grey hound Bus 17.00 dollars
Laredo to Monterrey. (some Mexican Bus, Very nice) 15.00 dollars
Monterrey to Potrero Chico. Taxi. Approx.. 50.00 dollars spit two ways.

Have fun. Whey flying South West it's best to book on line.

slavetogravity

Dec 17, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #10 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
is it cheaper to walk across and catch a bus on teh mexican side? if so is it worth the effort?

Is it cheaper. Yes.
Is it worth it. HELL NO!
If you think the border has gotten nuts on Canadian side. You haven’t seen nothing yet. Laredo has got to be sketchiest US city I've ever been in. Spend the extra 5 dollars and take the Greyhound across.

*thriller*
Deleted

Dec 17, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #11 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We actually booked our plane tickets a couple months ago as soon as i was sure i could get the time off work. The fare has about doubled since then too, so i'm glad i did! We've got pretty much all of the plan worked out except for the busses, so if anyone has any more detailed schedule info i'd really love to hear it.

thanks again
ian

maracas

Dec 27, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #12 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not worry about the buses, the time between departures is at most every half hour.

Take the nicer buses, the cost in not much different.

We´ll be there for the new years´ party, look out for a gray Jeep Liberty or a white SEAT Leon.

See you soon.

juanjo

Dec 27, 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #13 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The mexican busses are very nice, they deppart as maracas says every 30 mins, just be careful in who you trust at nuevo laredo since the last months it turns a very dangerous place to be.
Have a nice flight and if you need anything pm me.

bernard

Dec 27, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #14 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too am curious about the public transport options.

Buses to Monterrey are available at or near the Laredo airport?.....or do you have to taxi off to a separate/remote bus terminal?

How do you work the return trip when your last leg involves a taxi? Are taxis back to Monterrey easy to find in Hildago?....or do you have to work that out on your taxi ride to Hildago?

How about this "Mina" line. I'm assuming this is the train that runs to Hildago from Monterrey? How does one find this rail service (the terminal) when arriving in Monterrey by bus? Is there a return to Monterrey leg on this line?

Thank you....from all the slow to catch on people

juanjo

Dec 28, 2004, 8:25 AM
Post #15 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mina is not the train is a bus line that goes from Monterrey to Hidalgo and you can catch it at the bus station of Monterrey

maracas

Dec 28, 2004, 4:56 PM
Post #16 of 16 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a bus line that leaves from the same place where you arrive from Laredo, it is US$2 (or about), do not worry, look for the Mina line to Hidalgo, there is a little bus terminal in Hidalgo´s town square. From there is where you need a cab to the campgrounds, or a good 5 km walk (guessing). If you start walking with your big pack, any pickup truck from a local will probably give you a ride.
From the same bus terminal in the town´s square buses leave for Mty.

It is easier than you think.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook