RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

10ftdrp

Jun 16, 2004, 1:09 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Cali climbing near Redding
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm from oklahoma and im planning a trip out to visit my uncle near redding around mt shasta... i know that there are a few things cloe by such as Lassen Nat Park, Castle Craggs, and Mt Shasta. I'm into sport climbing TR and boldering and ive heard there arent bolted routes in some of the areas for those of you who know what parks do have bolted routes? Are they worth going to? and is there anywhere i'm missing? Also how much gear will i need and what do you suggest?

tigerbythetail

Jun 16, 2004, 1:40 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cali climbing near Redding [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps a little research here -

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listState.php?CountryStateID=4

in the Northern California Section will answer your questions. There are a number of areas that may fit the bill, but check it out first.

Have fun on your trip.

10ftdrp

Jun 16, 2004, 1:47 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have looked in that stuff but its not complete. im looking for ppl that have gone to the parks and climbed there cause ive been told by a freind that there is more than bouldering in Lassen Nat Park. he only knows that there is sport climbing but not how much and not how much gear is required. check the cali route thingy....

tigerbythetail

Jun 16, 2004, 2:15 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lassen is a great place to visit, and has plenty of bouldering as well as sport climbing. Some of the bouldering seems to be listed in the route database, but the routes are not. Check out the Bellybutton and Eagle Peak Cliffs (I think that's the name) for sport climbing. The approach for both areas start out of the parking lot that's used to hike to the summit of Mt. Lassen. The Bellybutton is the obvious large formation off to the right while the cliffs are off to the left. I'd recommend the cliffs as the hike isn't bad (maybe 15-20 minutes), the climbing is great and you'll see far fewer people than at the Bellybutton.

roughster

Jun 16, 2004, 2:55 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would throw down a vote for the Shredding. Head out of Redding on the 299 east towards Burney and look on the left hand side about 26 miles out. Small pull out just passed a small waterfall on the left. Hike up to the crag which is hidden from the road. Fun sport routes on semi-chossy limestone.

Please make sure you park your car COMPLETELY off of the highway as this has been an issue in the past.

roughster

Jun 16, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can also go west on the 299 and hit up Trinity Aretes which has some fantastic quality limestone sport routes.

Oh, you could give Cecilville a shot. I think Cecilville has the BEST limestone in all of California to tell you the truth.

Well, theres always Natural Bridge out by Hayfork...

Elephant, Promonotory, and Footsteps by Arcata.

You will be easily within probably some of the best, if not the best, bouldering in the state with Lost Rocks at the mouth of the Klammath River. Combine that with stops at Moonstone and Houda and you have more rock than you could climb in many seasons!

Wait...isn't Sheeps Pass just a stones throw away across the border past Weed.

Your problem isn't a "lack" of climbing, its deciding on which out of the many places to go!

Man, does the rest of the world not realize that NorCal has some of the states best spots or what? :lol:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook