Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Any climbing near Williamsburg Virginia?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

01grander

Nov 16, 2006, 5:46 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1119 views)
Shortcut

Any climbing near Williamsburg Virginia?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im going there for thanksgiving and im not familiar w/ the area at all. Is there any routes w/in 30 min? I know William and Mary have 2 walls but any natural rock places? I know theres a database of routes on this site but i have no idea what places are around Williamsburg so it would take me hours to mapquest them all. Thanks

braaaaaaaadley

Nov 16, 2006, 6:15 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [01grander] Any climbing near Williamsburg Virginia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To quickly answer your question... NO. The closest real climbing from Williamsburg is near Charlottesville, which is about 3.5 hours from Williamsburg. Which way are you coming from because you might drive past some on your way there...

Oh, and btw, as one of the features of the new site you can access a map of most areas just by clicking on the area... check it out its pretty cool.

(This post was edited by braaaaaaaadley on Nov 16, 2006, 6:19 PM)

01grander

Nov 16, 2006, 7:24 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [braaaaaaaadley] Any climbing near Williamsburg Virginia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok thanks im actually coming up w/ my cousins and wont have my car w/ me or id take the drive one day. I guess ill have to stick to the climbing gym at W&M and i think theres another gym around. Sucks im pretty close to some decent climbing but cant really go.

scuzzyMD

Nov 17, 2006, 2:51 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [01grander] Any climbing near Williamsburg Virginia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There aren't any really good places to climb here in Williamsburg. At William and Mary, we have the Adair Gymnasium wall which isn't open to non-students and a new Nicros wall in the remodeled rec center. The rec center wall is only 25ft high with seven topropes and two autobelays, and it won't be open from nov 21 to nov 26th (all the students leave for thanksgiving break) anyway.
In terms of outdoor climbing, Richmond (45 min away) would be your closest bet where you can do some sport climbing at Manchester Wall which is an old bridge pylon along the James river with a bunch of bolted routes. I've never personally been there but I hear it's a lot of fun. Just google "Manchester Wall." Other than that, there's the "Peak Experience" gym in Richmond. For anything else you'd have to head out to WVa to places like franklin or to northern VA to mather gorge/carderrock, both 3 or more hours away (especially with holiday traffic).

Hope that helps. Sorry you won't get to do much climbing over break :(

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook