RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

aaronbr86

Feb 22, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut

cam purchasing help (for NC)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Disclaimer: Ok, before anybody starts bitching at me telling me I'm going to die from cheap gear I just wanted to clarify that I already know that cheap gear is going to kill me and I will end up splattered on the rock.

I have been looking at Rock Empire cams as I cant afford Black Diamond (poor college student) and have been looking at the different models. I was wondering what model people would recommend for here in NC as well as what ranges they would purchase if in my position. I know they are cheap and have their quirks but I have enough back from my taxes to buy a set and I think I can deal with the quirks........if not I'll bite and save up for BD.

-Aaron

landgolier

Feb 22, 2006, 4:48 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Re: cam purchasing help (for NC) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

People like the robots, though there is a cult following for one of the bigger pulsars to fill a the gap between I think the #4 and #5 C4; I dunno, I use WC for the big stuff. However, if I were going to go out and buy some, I would get the set of the 5 big durangos. Those are great cams in the mid sizes; I know people who can afford anything who use them as their main cams. I would carry those as my doubles any day. You can spring for the 3 small ones if you really want, but I think in that range you are better off saving up for aliens/TCU's/Zeroes. If on some random lead you offered me a yellow alien and a pink tricam or the 3 smallest flexcams, I would take the alien and the tricam, and that's about the same $$.

forkliftdaddy

Feb 22, 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forged Friends are a NC classic. Tie 'em off, take some time to understand them, and then whip away.

braaaaaaaadley

Feb 22, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

True, if you cant afford "good" cams, it does not mean that you have to go for crappy ones instead. Either get a set of forged friends (avoid the small ones), or wait for sales online to appear. Propably the greatest mistake I have done when buying gear was to start off with cheaper stuff... save your pennies for good gear because it will last and you will thank yourself when you're 25 feet above your last placement and your fumbling around with your cheap stickey cam.

aaronbr86

Feb 22, 2006, 5:34 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your help, due to your advice I'm thinking about spending the extra dough and buying a small set of bd c4's . Screw it, I can do without other stuff and not have to worry about shitty cams. You know the old phrase "you gotta pay to play" I guess I'll have to live by it. Thank god for them upping my credit card limit. For the larger sizes I will prob go with friends or something cheaper, but if I'm going to be using them constantly I think that you all have convinced me to go with something I will actually enjoy placing.

-Aaron

piton

Feb 22, 2006, 5:59 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

save up for the BD. wild country tech friends are nice also

Partner heiko

Feb 22, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you wanted a little more than a few opinions before you buy C4s at twice the price, you might want to check the comments on RockEmpire cams in the gear section here on RC. A number of people seem to be quite satisfied with them. I've personally looked at the Pulsar #5 and it seems to be a good cam.

However, as people already hinted at, there's not only BD vs. RockEmpire, so why not go for the solid average and buy Metolius, DMM or WC forged?

joshy8200

Feb 22, 2006, 6:05 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes...I second the idea of holding off and buying the namebrand in cams. Their action and durability will pay divendes as said when you're sketching above that last placement.

Wild Country Tech Friends aren't as expensive as C4s...yet just as good. Where in NC are you located? A shop in Gastonia called PiedmontCamper sells cams by Wild Country and Omega...probably DMM too since they're an offshoot of Wild Country. The owner Mr. Todd will usually give you prices that are just as good as internet stores...don't know how close you are to Gastonia though.

Footsloggers up in Boone was clearing out some old model cams awhile back...I was just up there last weekend and their climbing rack looked very picked over. They may still be trying to sell off older models.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook