Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Thai Trip
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

adventurebuddies

Sep 3, 2002, 6:37 PM
Post #1 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip  (Europe: England: Peak_District: Stanage_Edge__OS_: Stanage)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to Thailand the last week of Nov through the second week of Dec. Want to hit the best climbing there since I don't have too much time. Any recos on key areas? (Right now I'm looking at Krabi/Railay). Also, want to know if I need to hire a guide or not. If there is any climbing around Ankor Wat that would be great -- Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

davebbq

Sep 3, 2002, 7:05 PM
Post #2 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive been to this paradise last year and I'm going back for sure next January. Railay beach is for sure the place in Thailand, but next time I go try the Koh Phi Phi Islands were rock climbing is less popular, but more expensive for living. What I saw of Cambodia is that it's as flat as Florida. So don't expect any climbing near Angkor Wat, but you gotta go there also ! Enjoy rock climbing in heaven !!!

David Gervais

eric

Sep 3, 2002, 10:43 PM
Post #3 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Railey in Krabi province is climbing paradise. Been there 2 years in a row and will go back again early next year (maybe sooner?).
You can fly straight to Krabi from Bangkok for about US$65, which I find faster and cheaper than the Phuket route. From Krabi town, long tail directly to East Railey for 70 baht.Then walk over to West Railey and on to Ton Sai. If you don't like the walk, take a minibus or local sangthiew from Krabi airport to Ao Nang and a long tail from there to Tonsai for 50 baht. It's a little trickier (as in not as obvious), but the same price and faster.

I totally agree that Tonsai is THE place to stay unless you really like to watch fat sun-burnt blobs lounging on the beach. But it does mean you will be walking a bit to get to a lot of the nice climbing areas.

The price for accomodation depends on the season. You may have to pay up to US $10 per night. Tonsai Bungalow goes from 50 baht to 300 baht.Dream Valley and Andaman are a bit more.

You might want to check out Simon Foley's website for good general beta.

You do not need to hire a guide, although I find it fun to hang out with them. You can pick up a copy of Wee Changrua's new guide for about 600 baht at most of the shops on Railey (less than the website price, btw). If you're travelling solo, you can easily find partners just by visiting the different areas and talking to people.

Have fun.

adventurebuddies

Sep 4, 2002, 4:49 PM
Post #4 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great advice! Thanks a lot. Can't wait to get there!

How about Chang Mai? I heard there was climbing there - anyone know what it's like?

eric

Sep 4, 2002, 5:40 PM
Post #5 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On the subject of longtails...

[Self-righteous preaching mode on]

There is nothing worse than hanging off, say, Thaiwand wall, or at the top of Groove Tube, and having the beauty of the natural surroundings shattered by the deafening noise of a longtail boat.
They suck. Everybody hates them. Avoid them.
Don't assume the locals are oblivious to the damage WE do to the place. Thais are surprisingly environmentally conscious (relatively speaking), and it's my impression that they would like nothing better than to have the longtails go away if there were a practical alternative.

Yeah yeah, I know you have to take one to get there, but try to make that it. Don't use them for routine transportation along the peninsula. The walk from Tonsai to Raelay isn't that bad. I can do it in 10 minutes. 15 in the dark. Or you can wait for the tide.

Of course it's your choice, but please remember the impact such activities have.

Oh heck, while I'm on the subject, my other bit of preachiness is about water bottles. Please bring a water filter and avoid buying water (you can buy huge refillable bottles but they are very hard to lug around). The small plastic bottles end up everywhere 'cause of the wind -- even if you 'dispose' of them 'properly'.

Ok, I'm done now. Sorry.

eric

Sep 4, 2002, 6:03 PM
Post #6 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, Tonsai bungalows -- and most other places -- will offer you a discount for a longer stay. In the low season the normal rate was 80 baht per day, 50 baht if you stay 3 or more days.
I understand that the owner thinks it's necessary to install fans, even though there is a nice breeze throught the valley there. This will supposedly increase the price to 300 baht in the high season -- perhaps 90-100 baht low.

I always stay at Tonsai Bungalows because I like showering outside , they are nice to me, feed me well, and let me have it for 40 baht per night. Besides, you just don't get that feeling of being in the jungle when you have linoleum on the floor

jdmorris

Sep 8, 2002, 6:41 PM
Post #7 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a great new climbing area in Chiang Mai which offers a bit of a different taste of Thailand than the south. Check out the website www.thailandclimbing.com for a bit of insight.

looselucy

Sep 9, 2002, 12:47 AM
Post #8 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great website! Looks like a beautiful place to climb!!

climbincajun

Sep 10, 2002, 6:46 PM
Post #9 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cambodia is flat.. No climbing, but Angkor Wat is worth the trip. If you can, also go to Ta Prohm, another nearby temple...there are these amazing trees that have overgrown the temple.
If you wanna look elsewhere, I have also heard of good climbing in Malaysia.

simonfoley

Sep 12, 2002, 4:27 AM
Post #10 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not sure that the idea of long-tails is such a bad one. This is when you consider the alternative, Although I think should walk across the (very small hill) to Raliey from Ton Sai, the developers who seem intent of ruining Krabi agree.

I have heard that this month has seen a cutting down of many of the trees on the walk-way and the fitting of permenant lights. This means more traffic on Ton Sai of the non-climber variety and more permenant changes in the area.

This area is fast changing and I am not convinced that it is all for the bettter.

Any thoughts?

Simon Foley
www.simonfoley.com/climbing

adventurebuddies

Sep 17, 2002, 6:13 PM
Post #11 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow - thanks to all of you for all the great info. It's too bad about the development issues, etc., but I guess that's what happens when people realize they can cash in on a beautiful location. I've seen it happen with other places as well.

But I'm definitely looking forward to this trip - moreso now that I've gotten all this positive feedback.

Thanks again!

H

jdmorris

Oct 5, 2002, 12:16 AM
Post #12 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Thai Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, Railay is a paradise. There is a new area in Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand as well. There are 60+ routes now and nobody is there. It is dirt cheap and the climbing is surrounded by Thai farming villages giving great insight into Thai rural life. Check www.thailandclimbing.com for more information.

Josh

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook