Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
j-tree, bishop or red rocks?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

abouttopeel

Jan 14, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2605 views)
Shortcut

j-tree, bishop or red rocks?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: The_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Planning a weeklong trip at the beginning of April. Sport 5.8-5.10 and I am just a n00b at trad.

slavetogravity

Jan 14, 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Re: j-tree, bishop or red rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don’t know much about Bishop, short of the bouldering and some friends of mine that went to do some sport climbing and came home unimpressed.

As for J-tree. It is one of the most noob-unfriendly and humbling climbing areas in the West. The grades are considered sandbagged by some and consequently, the more moderate classics have been host to serious carnage over the years. If you can’t jam, J-tree is going to kick you ass. If your not climbing 5.12, sport climbing in J-tree is almost non existent. Also many moderate and popular routes require that you build your own anchors. With all that said J-tree is one of best climbing areas on earth.

Red Rocks, is home to soft grades, and well bolted routes. The sport climbing is world class, and well developed. The multipitch climbing is also great. With countless multi pitch classics to cut your teeth on. Many are 5.10 and under and some don’t require that you build your own anchor. Safe and Easy beast describes Red Rocks. Plus your all of 20min from Vegas.

bandidopeco

Jan 15, 2005, 1:31 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bishop is the place i usually go in the winter for a 2 day trip. Tons of sport climbing in the owens river gorge, but it's mostly the type where your hands will always be over your head. The moves are generally not that unique, although i have climbed only a fraction of the routes. I've only climbed 1 route at Red Rocks (friends too hung over, had other priorities, dammit) and have a little bit of expirience at J-Tree. Like was said before, great trad climbing, tough sport.

collegekid

Jan 15, 2005, 1:43 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bishop....

Owens river gorge has numerous high quality sport routes within your grade level (in fact it's where i did my first sport lead).

The bouldering in bishop is far better than the sport climbing. You can find a bouldering area for virtually any weather...when it's hot, go to the buttermilks or (at even higher elevation) druid stones; when it's cold, go to the low-lying happies or sads.

Plus the town of bishop is pretty climber friendly, whereas las vegas is a massive jungle.

mikeyo

Jan 15, 2005, 6:29 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would vote Bishop.....Owen's River Gorge is great for that level of sport. But I've never been to Red Rocks or J-Tree...So who am I to say???

topher

Jan 15, 2005, 7:09 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would say that if you only have a week i would not go to all 3 places. each place you have listed is big... and you are really only going to be spendin tops 2 days at each.. so you wont even have found your way around.. haveing been to bishop and red i would say that red is better place for new climbers.. ive tryed to climb at j-tree but do to a broken hand it never happend but i would say if you dont know much about gear and how to use it j-tree is a bad idea..

grigriese

Jan 15, 2005, 7:15 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bishop or Red Rocks are both great destinations that would offer you many climbing options for a weeklong trip in the spring. One thing to consider, Las Vegas has more options for things to do when not climbing. Personally, I would chose Bishop. It's beautiful, the region is relatively undeveloped, and you can also boulder at the Buttermilks or Happy Boulders. Mammoth will probably still have snow at that time so you could go snowboarding/skiing if you wanted to.

J-Tree is trad land with old school ratings and a few sport routes for variety. A J-Tree 5.7 could make a 5.10 sport weenie cry!

enjoimx

Mar 18, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont go to Jtree...its far too hot there and the rock is choss.
Red rocks is too big.

Happy boulders sound good!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook