Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Niftiest approach ever?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner j_ung

Apr 21, 2008, 6:10 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Niftiest approach ever?  (Europe: Spain: Andaluc_a: El_Chorro)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know a lot of people hate approaches, but not me. I love 'em. Not all of them, mind you, but if it's an interesting walk (or whatever) I really feel like it's a welcome part of the day. I know how weird this is coming from a guy who lives at the New River Gorge, where approaches are convenient (read: the climbing equivalent of microwave popcorn), but whatever.

Now, check this out:

http://www.brightcove.tv/...p;channel=1408963331

It's one of the approaches for El Chorro in Spain. Looks like a via ferrata, but the guy with the camera doesn't appear to be attached to it. Whee!

Anybody have a better one? Let's hear your approach stories, even if they don't involve the scenery, like the above.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Apr 21, 2008, 6:11 PM)

moose_droppings

Apr 21, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Niftiest approach ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The approach to the back side of Harney Peak is the best the Hills have to offer, IMHO. I start at the horse camp were Willow Creek and Palmer Gulch come together, this is all wilderness area. Take the Willow Creek trail for about a half mile, then jump the ridge to the southwest. When you gain the first ridge, the view (pic above) is nothing short of breath taking in any season. Following the old trail takes you right into the bottom of Palmer Gulch (lower right just off the pic) where another old trail (Lost Cabin) is somewhat distinguishable. Both sides of the Palmer shoot up quite a ways giving a forward view of the slabs on the back side of Harney. Rock abounds everywhere throughout this area and its never ending neck wrenching to take it all in. The springs runs stronger through this part, even after that last 6 years of dry times through the central hills. A couple more miles of this scenery will get you to the bottom of the slabs on the northwest side of Harney. You can get on the rock here and gain 800ft before you get a peek at the real top of Harney itself off to the south east. The view from here is almost a 360 degree vista of much of the Black Hills.
Every time I've come out of here, I feel flushed of all earthly weights that build up over a course of less satisfying times. Its a tuff approach, but the area brings a zest that takes the edge off of it.

potreroed

Apr 21, 2008, 8:18 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Niftiest approach ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In El Potrero Chico you can step out of your car, walk 5 feet and you're on a 9 pitch route. Walk another 25 feet and you're on an 11 pitch route. Go another 25 feet and you're on a 15 pitch route. 20 feet further is another great 10 pitch route. Now that's a sweet approach.

maracas

Apr 22, 2008, 6:31 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Niftiest approach ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In Huasteca you can belay from the back of your truck while you grab a beer from the cooler.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook