Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Stoves

Mar 24, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #1 of 30 (9866 views)
Shortcut

How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Man I never been this excited in my life.

Come April 14th I will be at Red Rocks for 7+ days. There's about 10 of us going. (As always I'm the least experienced one)

My question is how can I get the most out of this trip once i'm there and what should I do in terms of preparation?

I'm planning to do some sport climbing so should I just practice lead at the gym?

Is there time for me to take a trad class and maybe do some trad?

Considering how I'm a V2 Boulder/ 10.b Lead climber at the gym and this is my first outdoor trip what routes should go for it? Am I looking at 5.8?

Any suggestions on a specific route?

@blueeyedclimber: Thanks for writing your trip report to RR that was a nice read.

Much appreciated,
Stoves.

(This post was edited by Stoves on Mar 24, 2011, 4:19 PM)

socalclimber

Mar 24, 2011, 4:32 PM
Post #2 of 30 (9827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stoves] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Stoves wrote:

Come April 14th I will be at Red Rocks for 7+ days. There's about 10 of us going. (As always I'm the least experienced one)

My question is how can I get the most out of this trip once i'm there and what should I do in terms of preparation?

I'm planning to do some sport climbing so should I just practice lead at the gym?

Considering how I'm a V2 Boulder/ 10.b Lead climber at the gym and this is my first outdoor trip what routes should go for it? Am I looking at 5.8?

@blueeyedclimber: Thanks for writing your trip report to RR that was a nice read.

Much appreciated,
Stoves.

First off, I think the reference to blueeyedclimber speaks volumes. He learned a valuable lesson.

Yes, forget what you do in the gym. Keep the ratings low. 5.8 or lower if you are doing trad.

Don't go there with any expectations. Just go. Have fun. I made this mistake more than once years ago and learned my lesson. Just go. Maybe you'll get some multi-pitch in, maybe not. Maybe you'll get some sport climbing in, maybe not. Maybe you will boulder. Maybe you'll do a lot of hiking and get shutdown. The weather may suck, the winds high, and the temps low. You could spend the week in a t-shirt or in multiple layers of clothing.

My point is, don't expect anything. Just go. Prepare for backup plans. Redrocks is a gorgeous area. Grab a guide book, a decent partner and see what happens.

Road trips often lead to disaster and disappointment when expectations are to high and to focused. I can't count the number of times I've been on trips with a single goal in mind only to get shut down and then just mope about like a spoiled child who didn't get their toy of choice for xmas.

Be prepared to say fuck it, let's do something else since this area is full of people lining up for popular routes.

Take that approach, and you will have a fine time.

Have fun!

marc801

Mar 24, 2011, 4:48 PM
Post #3 of 30 (9813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Stay out of the Black Corridor. Sure, lots of sport routes there, but probably the least pleasant of all the areas within RR. It's even less pleasant than some gyms.

jt512

Mar 24, 2011, 5:39 PM
Post #4 of 30 (9779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Stay out of the Black Corridor. Sure, lots of sport routes there, but probably the least pleasant of all the areas within RR. It's even less pleasant than some gyms.

Yea, the Black Corridor is really unpleasant, yet it seems that my partners always want to go there. There are much better sport climbs in RR, at walls that are much less crowded.

Jay

lena_chita

Mar 24, 2011, 5:42 PM
Post #5 of 30 (9775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:

Wow! I wondered if it gets crowded in better weather.

I guess there was an unexpected benefit in going there on a cold december day. Sure, it was cold b/c the sun barely gets in there in winter. But on the plus side, no one else was there.

To the OP:

How experienced are the "more experienced" people in your group of 10? Ideally, they should be able to answer all your questions.

I agree with VTG. It's your first trip, so no big expectations, no specific goals. Just be safe and enjoy it, whatever comes your way.

It is always a good idea, when going to a new place, to start with climbs that are well below your limit. Even people who climb outside a lot might take a bit to get used to the feel of "new" rock. You have 7 days, you will have time to try harder routes, if you feel solid and confident on the easy ones.

markc

Mar 24, 2011, 5:53 PM
Post #6 of 30 (9762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is more general advice, which you may still find useful. If you're doing that long of a trip and you're planning a mix of climbing and touristy stuff, pack in as much climbing on weekdays as possible. That's my goal on longer trips, as there's generally much less competition for routes during the week.

I'd suggest not going crazy in the gym. Now and then someone posts about how much shit they're doing in the gym to prepare, then get injured right before the trip. If you're already leading in the gym, just keep at it and adjust your expectations outside. If things are going well, you can bump up the difficulty. Make sure you're familiar with cleaning before you're at the top of a wall and trying to get directions from someone 80' away. That would be worth going over and rehearsing in advance of the trip.

Don't bother with a trad class yet. If your friends are experienced they can always put you in a team of three without many duties other than climbing. I've done that for people on their first outing. As has been said, be open and enjoy the trip.

michael1245

Mar 24, 2011, 5:54 PM
Post #7 of 30 (9760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ughh...that picture gives me the creeps. when is low season?

(This post was edited by michael1245 on Mar 24, 2011, 5:55 PM)

petsfed

Mar 24, 2011, 6:25 PM
Post #8 of 30 (9732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michael1245] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

michael1245 wrote:

When the daytime temps are around 104.

I did my time in the Black Corridor. Now I never have to go back...

socalclimber

Mar 24, 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #9 of 30 (9677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
michael1245 wrote:

My god what a cluster fuck...

That place makes Trash Can Rock, Swan Slab and Manure Pile combined look empty.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Mar 24, 2011, 10:10 PM)

kappydane

Mar 24, 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #10 of 30 (9657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Be careful about thinking that 10b in the gym is the same as 10b in RR. I would also be a little wary of getting on some 5.8's like Ultra Man until you figure out the slab climbing. The grades vary widely by area and between sport and trad. In my limited experience, the 5.7 to 5.9 sport routes are a lot easier than similarly graded trad. The 5.9 sport routes in the Gallery are chill compared to Straight Shooter, Topless Twins, or Varnishing Point, for example. If you do easy trad, there are a lot of short routes with walk offs that would be a good place to start.

Bats

Mar 25, 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #11 of 30 (9631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up...I am going out there in June. Is there any multi-pitch sport routes? My partner and I are up for trad, but we will have 3-4 sport climbers with us, and trying do something as a group, maybe its a girl thing.

Stoves

Mar 25, 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #12 of 30 (9626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lena unfortunately I only know one of them who's bringing me as a guest.

My buddy advice was to keep practicing leading at the gym and work on my endurance.

But of course getting some extra inputs from my rc.com friends wont hurt.

@Marc: Will stay out of the nasty corridor for sure!

Going to the RR for the first time and having no expectation.. not that easy!

thanks for the tips boys and girls.

jt512

Mar 25, 2011, 2:52 AM
Post #13 of 30 (9601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stoves wrote:

No, you'll go. Your friends will insist.

Jay

marc801

Mar 25, 2011, 3:54 AM
Post #14 of 30 (9573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
petsfed wrote:
michael1245 wrote:

My god what a cluster fuck...

That place makes Trash Can Rock, Swan Slab and Manure Pile combined look empty.
That's not as crowded as it can get. There's another pic somewher on the web that has twice as many climbers/posers, but I was unable to find it in a quick post from work.

When we were at RR in Nov 2009, I took my friends (who had never been) over to the Black Corridor just so they could see what the scene was like (we were climbing elsewhere but nearby). We knew we were close when the smell hit us - a combination of rancid sweat, sunscreen, urine, and patchouli. There were easily 30 people in there.

enigma

Mar 25, 2011, 5:27 AM
Post #15 of 30 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
Stoves wrote:

Much appreciated,
Stoves.

First off, I think the reference to blueeyedclimber speaks volumes. He learned a valuable lesson.

Yes, forget what you do in the gym. Keep the ratings low. 5.8 or lower if you are doing trad.

Don't go there with any expectations. Just go. Have fun. I made this mistake more than once years ago and learned my lesson. Just go. Maybe you'll get some multi-pitch in, maybe not. Maybe you'll get some sport climbing in, maybe not. Maybe you will boulder. Maybe you'll do a lot of hiking and get shutdown. The weather may suck, the winds high, and the temps low. You could spend the week in a t-shirt or in multiple layers of clothing.

My point is, don't expect anything. Just go. Prepare for backup plans. Redrocks is a gorgeous area. Grab a guide book, a decent partner and see what happens.

Road trips often lead to disaster and disappointment when expectations are to high and to focused. I can't count the number of times I've been on trips with a single goal in mind only to get shut down and then just mope about like a spoiled child who didn't get their toy of choice for xmas.

Be prepared to say fuck it, let's do something else since this area is full of people lining up for popular routes.

Take that approach, and you will have a fine time.

Have fun!

Yes, good advice !!!! Cool

vegastradguy

Mar 25, 2011, 7:09 AM
Post #16 of 30 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bats wrote:
Thanks for the heads up...I am going out there in June. Is there any multi-pitch sport routes? My partner and I are up for trad, but we will have 3-4 sport climbers with us, and trying do something as a group, maybe its a girl thing.

not really- at least not in red rock. Unimpeachable Groping comes close, but you have to run it out 40' on easy terrain (5.6-5.8).

of course, in June, you wont be interested in Red Rock, as it will be scorching hot. Mt. Charleston will be NICE that time of year, and it has quite a few mid-.11 multipitch lines (up to 3-4 pitches), along with lots of shady bolt clipping. its not world class, but its cool and better than dying of heat stroke.

if anyone has any questions about RR or whatever, feel free to pm me for beta.

Gmburns2000

Mar 25, 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #17 of 30 (9508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Stoves wrote:

No, you'll go. Your friends will insist.

Jay

I had actually never heard of it until today. There's an off-chance that I've seen a pic of it before (from another trip the WW and BEC took with a mutual friend), but I didn't know what it was until today, and even then I'm not positive it was the same place.

Not saying anything important, except that maybe my guidebook reading skills are either crappy or great, depending on where one stands.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 25, 2011, 1:31 PM
Post #18 of 30 (9496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

I had actually never heard of it until today. There's an off-chance that I've seen a pic of it before (from another trip the WW and BEC took with a mutual friend), but I didn't know what it was until today, and even then I'm not positive it was the same place.

Yup, that was the place. When I went it wasnt' that crowded but there were definitely people in there. It's nice on a hot day, except midday when the sun shoots right through it, but I agree, there are MUCH better sport routes elsewhere.

Josh

blueeyedclimber

Mar 25, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #19 of 30 (9494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:

I resemble that remark!Cool

socalclimber

Mar 25, 2011, 1:40 PM
Post #20 of 30 (9485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
socalclimber wrote:

I resemble that remark!Cool

Hey, we've all been there! I once did a 10 day road trip where we only ended up doing a total of one 8 pitch route, and two single sport lines. And to be honest, we had a blast!

Sometimes that's how it goes.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 25, 2011, 1:53 PM
Post #21 of 30 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stoves wrote:
I still get like this before a road trip after years of climbing. Smile

In reply to:

10 of you? That's a lot in one group. Are you splitting up into partners or are you planning on setting up ropes and everyone gang top roping all day. If the latter, you might want to rethink it, especially if you will hog popular lines for a significant amount of time. You might annoy some people.

In reply to:

If you can, get as much leading in the gym or outside as possible. In addition to that, I don't know what kind of shape you are in, but doing cardio would help. If you go into the canyons, then some of the approaches are very long. For the sport climbing areas, it doesn't matter. Although, doing cardio and maybe working out a little will make you more ripped for when you take off your shirt to impress the ladies at the sport cragCool

In reply to:

If you can get outside before your trip, I would do that. Maybe hit the gym during the week after work.

In reply to:

There's always time. What about your friends? What is their experience level? Taking a class certainly wouldn't hurt.

In reply to:

That's hard for us to gauge, but generally yes, when you go outside you should start below your gym level to get a feel for it. Then you can increase the grades once you feel comfortable. That might be after your first climb, or maybe it may take a few trips. Who knows?

In reply to:

I don't think i have done any routes at your level worth recommending. The best thing to do is get the guidebook and start making a list.

In reply to:

Thanks for the compliment.

Have fun and take all the advice to heart. As you got from my TR, sometimes things don't work out. It's your first time there, just go and have a good time.

Josh

Bats

Mar 25, 2011, 6:31 PM
Post #22 of 30 (9434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tip.
I have climbed in 98F with 100% humidity at Erock and 102F at Yosemite Valley before. An early start would be good. Crack is fine, its the slab climbing that gets ridiculously hot. Finishing around 3pm and then swimming the rest of the day or do the tourist thing.

caughtinside

Mar 25, 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #23 of 30 (9429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you're rolling 10 deep and you haven't led outside the gym?

Just go with the flow.

nolifeking

Mar 25, 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #24 of 30 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. I took a trip with some friends there a few weeks ago, first time to red rocks, first outdoor leads. We went to the black corridor for our second day, there were never more than two other parties there, it was very chill. We got really lucky I guess.

silascl

Mar 26, 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #25 of 30 (9352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] How to get the most of my upcoming Red Rocks trip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
So you're rolling 10 deep and you haven't led outside the gym?

Just go with the flow.

This sounds good to me.

I've been the noob who had top ropes set up for them. I never requested a route or an area, let someone in your group do what they want and be happy you've basically got a free guide for the day.

I've also been the not quite a noob leading some 9s and 10s for people so they could TR them. The ones who talked all day about wanting to do this route or go to this place, so I could lead a route, so they could TR it, are annoying and I no longer climb with them.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook