RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

HardingHog

Jan 29, 2012, 2:38 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2207 views)
Shortcut

Wanting to start climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys

I have pretty much played baseball my whole life and even up through college and now that I am finally done I have wanted to pick up a new hobby and I believe climbing is it. I have climbed in a gym in Little Rock some but besides that I am not even sure where to start. I don't really have any friends that climb so I don't have any connections or people to ask about advice so I decided to sign up here hoping you guys can help me out and give me some advice on where to start. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Partner camhead

Jan 29, 2012, 2:59 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HardingHog] Wanting to start climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Here_Part_1_725.html

superchuffer

Jan 29, 2012, 4:27 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep going to the gym. meet people, be nice and they will take you climbing outside

herites

Jan 29, 2012, 7:43 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to the gym, trying to make some friends, Usually people are friendly, if you are a nice person. Try to get out to the real rocks asap. Offer to carry the rope and bring beer/pay for food/gas. You can also hire a guide if you got money to blow. If you are asocial then read a lot, buy a guidebook, find the easiest route with accesible top and toprope solo it. Only do it if you really hate people and got everything wired. You could take up bouldering too, but climbing isn't a sport you could safely practice and enjoy alone.

HardingHog

Jan 29, 2012, 7:53 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herites] Wanting to start climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info guys there is a pretty small gym in the town I am in but a very large gym in Little Rock so I'll probably hit up the gym here a few days a week and then go to LR on the weekends
In reply to:

ky2a

Jan 31, 2012, 4:31 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herites] Wanting to start climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

herites wrote:
Go to the gym, trying to make some friends, Usually people are friendly, if you are a nice person. Try to get out to the real rocks asap. Offer to carry the rope and bring beer/pay for food/gas. You can also hire a guide if you got money to blow. If you are asocial then read a lot, buy a guidebook, find the easiest route with accesible top and toprope solo it. Only do it if you really hate people and got everything wired. You could take up bouldering too, but climbing isn't a sport you could safely practice and enjoy alone.

Haha THIS!

Also don't know about your country.. but down here we have climbing groups and organisations .. people usually meet others through them... might want to try facebook for groups i guess .. have nfi.. but yest def bring the BEER :)

jacques

Jan 31, 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HardingHog wrote:
Hey guys
I don't really have any friends that climb so I don't have any connections or people to ask about advice so I decided to sign up here hoping you guys can help me out and give me some advice on where to start.

What is your goal for climbing. Do you like going outide in high mountain or do you like the difficulty of a climb in a gym and the emulation of a group. If you read magasine you will see if you want tio look good to find a women or if you want to climb in remote places just for fun.

Personally, I like friendship on multi pitch route in remote area. As nobody is around most of the time, I have to know how to get out of trouble as a team. Our level of risk is very lower in comparaison with gym. I think that those people are going to test your skill before commiting in a hard climb. A course, can help knowing the basic. As you climb a 5.7 and found that your belayer don't know how to belay...it is not that much fun.

theextremist04

Feb 1, 2012, 2:50 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'm assuming you go to Harding...if so, go to the gym in your town more. Even if it sucks, you'll find more climbing partners, and maybe at some point you can find someone to go climbing outside with (Jamestown isn't far at all.)

Arkansas has a ton of great rock, there's no reason to be stuck in a gym.

(This post was edited by theextremist04 on Feb 1, 2012, 2:51 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook