RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

aaronj

Mar 30, 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Alpine climbing in the Sawtooths
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am wondering if anyone has any beta on some alpine climbing in the sawtooths.. I'm looking to do something like the North Couloir on Williams Peak and something on Mt Thompson.. I can't seam to find the info I want.

elvislegs

Mar 30, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alpine climbing in the Sawtooths [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you need to know? I might be able to help.

As far as a guide book, Idaho, A Climbing Guide has good beta on most anything you might need. It's pretty extensive.

I have done a few routes in the Sawtooths, all excellent. I am going out this late spring to do a few more.
I could use a partner, if you are in need of one give me a shout.
-Sean

aaronj

Mar 30, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Tom Lopez's book is worthless.. for any type of technical climbing in the sawtooths.. This is the only reference to routes on Williams Peak in his book Quote " Williams Peak is located 5.5 miles southwest of Stanley. Climb via the southwest ridge from the saddle between Williams and Thompson Peak." WTF ? This is a load of crap, and the worst rt. description I've seen. It also references "The peak can also be climbed from Goat Lake via its northwest ridge. Access the lake from Iron Creek." Neither of the 2 routes DESCRIBED<-- :lol: are the one I'm looking for.

The only reason I say this in this thread is because everytime and everywhere I look for info on the sawtooths.. I am reffered to this book.. I have climbed the Petzoldt Couloir, Chockstone Couloir, and other easy climbs in the sawtooths, and want to try somthing else. I remember Rock & Ice Roadtrips #1 had a section on some alpine climbs in the sawtooths.. I just can't locate it.. I was hoping someone had done the North Couloir on Williams and could give me a little beta on rt. descent, gear, etc. or any other alpine climbs they recomend.

elvislegs

Mar 31, 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh. Good point, that is pretty lousy beta. I haven't exactly read the book cover to cover. Sorry to rub salt in THAT wound.

I will consult with some of my partners and try to get you some better information.

retrock

Mar 31, 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love that area, beautiful. You might find "The Elephants' Perch", in Kechem Idaho has Topo bata and a knowlagable staff but the gear is top dollar. http://www.elephantsperch.com If not, PM me and I will help you as much as I can. I'm planning a trip for some trad climbing. Grand Mogul Mountain to Hayburn Ridge, then to Beckys Direct on Elephants Perch. South of your area. It will Be our first time Back in that area. Any Bata would be helpful.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook