RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jermeng

Oct 12, 2006, 5:22 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

'gunks fees and enforcement
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey east coast climbers,
I'll be climbing in the 'gunks in a couple of Mondays and I'm looking to find some info on the day-use fees for climbing in the 'gunks. Here are my questions:

1) Are rangers "camping" out at the beginning of the carriage way or parking lots to check for permits?

2) If you are caught w/out a permit, what is the cost of the fine?

3) Is it really $15/day/person!!???

4) Who's got the best beer in New Paltz?

Thanks a bunch for all your help,

Jeremy

anykineclimb

Oct 12, 2006, 5:32 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Re: 'gunks fees and enforcement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

where you park to get to The Trapps, theres a "ranger" there to take fees. you then get a tag for the day (think wristband at bar)

during the day, the ranger guy will drive around and check on the climbers to see if they paid, if not, you pay on the spot.

$15 buck really isn't too bad. its one of those place you HAVE to visit and like others have said its private land so the money goes to supporting the area.

curt

Oct 12, 2006, 5:47 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey east coast climbers,
I'll be climbing in the 'gunks in a couple of Mondays and I'm looking to find some info on the day-use fees for climbing in the 'gunks. Here are my questions:

1) Are rangers "camping" out at the beginning of the carriage way or parking lots to check for permits?

2) If you are caught w/out a permit, what is the cost of the fine?

3) Is it really $15/day/person!!???

4) Who's got the best beer in New Paltz?

Thanks a bunch for all your help,

Jeremy

Pay the day use fee, buy an annual permit, or climb somewhere else. Simple, isn't it? Oh, and there's no shortage of good beer in New Paltz. Start at the Bacchus.

Curt

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 12, 2006, 7:29 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Gunks is easily the best, IMHO.

Its private property, so pay the fee... Don't try to dodge the fee, as climbing there is a privlage.

On a different note... With questions like that, I assume you don't donate to the Access Fund. Am I right?

Oh yea... The description for this forum asks users NOT to post directly to this forum, but to instead post to it from the Routes Database. The reason is so that future users looking for beta about that area will see this thread "linked" to that area.

Nice pic, BTW. :D

jermeng

Oct 12, 2006, 8:39 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thanks for all the info. I usually don't have any problems paying day-use fees; but $15/day/person is on the steep side. I have only been to the ‘gunks once before and it was $10 then. It was worth it because that was a one-day trip and not multiple days. The season pass isn’t of much value to me, as I do most of my climbing in J-tree.

To answer your question, I do donate to the Access Fund. And I’m actually looking to get my employer to match my next donation to them.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the forum posting etiquette. That, I did not know.

-Jeremy

crimpstrength

Oct 12, 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gilded Otter is unbeatable. They have this pumpkin ale right now that is soooo delicious. Three Pines IPA is a favorite of mine too.

Partner devkrev

Oct 12, 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Pay the day use fee, buy an annual permit, or climb somewhere else....

Or find somebody who has a lifetime membership, Curt, and climb with them, RIGHT CURT?!

:wink:

dev

johnny_jibba

Oct 12, 2006, 1:39 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The rangers usually arrive at the trapps bridge, the parking areas, and the top of the stairmaster sometime around 8 am. If you park and get by these areas before then, you walk right in.

If you bump into a ranger later and he asks to see your pass, just tell him you didn't grab one yet and pay him the $15. I don't try to hide from them, but I'm not going out of my way to pay either. I have my own feelings about the $15 fee, but I'll keep them to myself to avoid turning your thread into a flame war.

Regarding beer: the German place under the nears has an excellent selection of Hefe Weizen, some bottled and some on tap. The Bachus has something like 200 bottled beers as well as some nice drafts. When the Otter opened, it was terrible so I never went back. However, I hear they have since gotten much better, so you may want to give them a try as well.

tradrenn

Oct 12, 2006, 2:09 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

saxfiend

Oct 12, 2006, 2:52 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was up there in June, there was a ranger on the carriage road a couple of mornings checking things, but not every day. Personally, although I'd rather climb for free, the Gunks is worth $15/day to me.
In reply to:
Beer Barn in New Paltz has the biggest selection of beer.
Haha, I remember coming back to Atlanta and telling one of my buddies about my trip. I was all set to tell him about the fantastic Gunks climbing, but the first question out of his mouth was "did you get some beer at the Otter?" :roll: Silly me, not having my priorities straight . . .

JL

joeforte

Oct 12, 2006, 3:40 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One way I rationalize the $15 fee is the fact that there is free camping (which usually costs $10-20 anyway), and there are brand new bolted belays and raps on or near most of the popular climbs. If you take these two facts into consideration, it doesn't seem too steep anymore.

curt

Oct 13, 2006, 6:36 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Pay the day use fee, buy an annual permit, or climb somewhere else....

Or find somebody who has a lifetime membership, Curt, and climb with them, RIGHT CURT?!

:wink:

dev

Yep. That's kosher too. 8^) I bet if you happened to know someone who had a lifetime membership to the Mohonk Preserve and offered them a bottle of really good single-malt scotch, they would be inclined to let you into the Gunks with one of their guest passes. :D

Curt

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook