RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

jtgolden1s

Dec 11, 2015, 8:35 PM
Post #1 of 3 (13447 views)
Shortcut

New Guy from US Midwest
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello!!! I am excited for this first post! I recently started rock climbing with a couple friends a few months ago. My buddies have been rappelling for years and are very familiar with rope work. After a couple rappelling trips I talked us into climbing and have been doing it every weekend. We climb in the midwest, mainly southern Illinois. Just wanted to drop in and say hello, this forum has been a great help.

On question, what type of knot would anyone want to recommend with the setup in the photo below. I would utilize two trees, and because the ends of the ropes will not be used because of the length of the rope I am not sure what the best knot would be.

[URL=http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/jtgolden1ss/media/Climbing20Anchor20001.1_zpsl4vuhmo3.jpg.html]

Thanks!

sungam

Dec 13, 2015, 8:59 PM
Post #2 of 3 (13318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jtgolden1s] New Guy from US Midwest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Which knot are you talking about? The knot at the power point or the knot at the trees? Will there be a sling on the trees or will you be tying to rope itself around the tree?

Partner epoch

Dec 14, 2015, 6:18 PM
Post #3 of 3 (13264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jtgolden1s] New Guy from US Midwest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jtgolden1s wrote:
Hello!!! I am excited for this first post! I recently started rock climbing with a couple friends a few months ago. My buddies have been rappelling for years and are very familiar with rope work. After a couple rappelling trips I talked us into climbing and have been doing it every weekend. We climb in the midwest, mainly southern Illinois. Just wanted to drop in and say hello, this forum has been a great help.

On question, what type of knot would anyone want to recommend with the setup in the photo below. I would utilize two trees, and because the ends of the ropes will not be used because of the length of the rope I am not sure what the best knot would be.

Thanks!
Keeping it simple and not too complicated (advice from the random internet, here - so take it with what you may) I would suggest using Bowlines to secure your ends to the trees in question. Also, I would suggest adding another "power point" figure 8 knot a foot or so next to the one you currently have, like this . Read this document to get a better idea. Learn the tensionless knot and you can easily adjust the length to better equalize your redundancy. For now, though, a bowline will hold just fine.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook