RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ballpointpenner

Nov 9, 2006, 8:36 AM
Post #1 of 6 (839 views)
Shortcut

Getting geared up for outdoor climbing in Japan
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dear climbers,

This is my situation. Though I've been climbing on and off for some years, until now, I have never taken the sport seriously and had not bothered to invest in the equipment, preferring to rent. As of perhaps a month and a half ago, however, things have changed, and I have really started to get into this sport. Now, hitherto, my climbing has always been at indoor gyms, and it has always been restricted to bouldering and toprope. However, due to this recent resurgence of interest, I have decided to transform what was going to be my relaxing xmas vacation into a climbing trip. Suffice is to say that I am going to a sunny place that happens to have a lot of outdoor climbing opportunities (Thailand).

So, its finally time for me to invest in equipment. To be honest, I know nothing about outdoor climbing, never having tried it. I figure I'll need shoes, a harness, some rope, a carabeener, a helmet, a chalkbag and chalk. Is there anything else? – naturally I want to keep using this equipment when I return to the gym, after the trip.

[Of course, I need a parter too, insofar as I intend to go beyond bouldering – though I am going alone, where I am going is a pretty big climbing destination which has training courses at various levels and, hopefully, useful and friendly people.]

Also, while I still have time, I might order online, as Japan’s prices are vicious (typically, for everything and anything) – does anyone know a good online dealer that ships to Japan? Also, does anyone know of any good climbing shops in Japan, particularly in Niigata prefecture? For that matter, would I be better off trying to get the stuff in Bangkok? Also, are there any good packages out there that someone who is, for all intents and purposes, a beginner should consider?

Also, as far as shoes go – is there anything in particular that I should look for, besides good fit? Presently, I am borrowing a pair of mocassyms (I think thats the name – red ones with stealth rubber) and I have no complaints. Would an identical pair also be suitable for outdoor climbing, or should I look for something else?

Ok, thanks for reading this slightly lengthy post. I appreciate the advice, which I am sure is forthcoming.

- Bpp

sfox

Nov 10, 2006, 3:53 PM
Post #2 of 6 (839 views)
Shortcut

Re: Getting geared up for outdoor climbing in Japan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, so I'm no expert or anything, but a word of advice, don't buy anything you don't know how to use and that you don't know you need. For instance, you didn't mention a belay device or anything to create anchors with. Let's just say someone tells you that you are gonna need a full set of hexes....but you have no intention of ever climbing trad, without the knowledge of what you need, you just wasted a good chunk of change. If you are planning on getting into outdoor climbing, spend the money on a guide or take some classes, then decide what you are gonna need to buy.

Get the basics, shoes, harness, chalkbag and take some classes.

S

P.S. But what do I know....I was nominated n00b of the year recently :D :lol:

bigfatrock

Nov 13, 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #3 of 6 (693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ballpointpenner] Getting geared up for outdoor climbing in Japan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a guy named Jason Kehl who knows all about climbing in Japan. You should hook up with him, I bet he would be willing to show you the ropes.

layedback

Nov 20, 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #4 of 6 (660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ballpointpenner] Getting geared up for outdoor climbing in Japan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Konichiwa

I have spent quite a bit of time climbing in Japan and even stole some partners from local climbing schools. Lots of arias to climb at. Hook up with a JP climbing school, you will get lots of info on how to climb, what gear you will need, and maybe you will even locate a local climbing partner. The equipment is really basic, what you really need are the outdoor climbing skills in order to be a safe and reliable partner.

wandering_redneck

Dec 3, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #5 of 6 (605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to help you out. I've been in Japan for two and a half years and I've only been climbing since March '06. I purchased my own gear (harness, chalkbag, shoes, etc). There are some great places to climb, but not many places that I've heard of where you can rent gear. If you're not climbing indoors or don't live near any places where you can just walk out to the rocks and climb, you'll have to travel of course. I'm staying in Yokosuka and the nearest place is about a half an hour away. The big walls are farther away, some are about four hours out. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but just letting you know that if you're serious about climbing, be prepared to be in a car or on the train for a while.

ballpointpenner

Dec 6, 2006, 1:21 PM
Post #6 of 6 (584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wandering_redneck] Getting geared up for outdoor climbing in Japan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies guys.. actually I do have an indoor gym in a nearby town that I go to 2-3 times a week. I've really been enjoying it for the last few months and am learning something new every time.

All this time, I've been borrowing this guy's unused mocs, which has been really great -- but recently I went up to Niigata city and purchased some Huecos there. Specifically, because I was afraid that a more gymmy shoes would die on my upcoming thailand trip... so far, though, they have been crap in the gym (I only took them out there, once).. by crap, I mean that they've been slipping in many places where the mocs held no problem. Dunno if I should try to exchange for another size, or just get a second 'gym' pair.

Again, thanks for the advice.

- Bpp

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook