RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

scienceguy288

Dec 15, 2014, 2:54 PM
Post #1 of 3 (7708 views)
Shortcut

Campus board rung recommendation?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have started campus board training as per Rock Climber's Training Manual. I did some experimentation on a few different rung sizes to figure out which I should use. I can definitely do 1,2,3,4,5 matching on the (Metolius) mediums without much difficulty. However doing ladders presents some issues. I can only do 1,3,5,6 on the mediums and then on the larges, I can do 1,3,5,7 and then cheat using 8 as an intermediary step to get to 9. I do 5 matching leading right, 5 matching leading left, and then 5 ladders for each campus workout. I want to construct a board, as I will be soon moving to a city where the gym does not have a campus board. However, I can't afford two whole sets of rungs. So, if you were in my shoes and had to pick between one size or the other, which would you suggest? Thanks.

kennoyce

Dec 15, 2014, 4:33 PM
Post #2 of 3 (7684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] Campus board rung recommendation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

scienceguy288 wrote:
I have started campus board training as per Rock Climber's Training Manual. I did some experimentation on a few different rung sizes to figure out which I should use. I can definitely do 1,2,3,4,5 matching on the (Metolius) mediums without much difficulty. However doing ladders presents some issues. I can only do 1,3,5,6 on the mediums and then on the larges, I can do 1,3,5,7 and then cheat using 8 as an intermediary step to get to 9. I do 5 matching leading right, 5 matching leading left, and then 5 ladders for each campus workout. I want to construct a board, as I will be soon moving to a city where the gym does not have a campus board. However, I can't afford two whole sets of rungs. So, if you were in my shoes and had to pick between one size or the other, which would you suggest? Thanks.

Get the smallest ones you can handle. It sounds like you are doing just fine on the medium rungs. Obviously there is room for improvement, but that's what you want. Campusing is for training contact strength, and larger rungs don't do as good of a job training contact strength so get as small as you can safely campus on.

lena_chita

Dec 15, 2014, 4:59 PM
Post #3 of 3 (7676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Campus board rung recommendation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
scienceguy288 wrote:

Get the smallest ones you can handle. It sounds like you are doing just fine on the medium rungs. Obviously there is room for improvement, but that's what you want. Campusing is for training contact strength, and larger rungs don't do as good of a job training contact strength so get as small as you can safely campus on.

+1.

Sounds like you are doing pretty well on the mediums. And you get so much improvement in the first few workouts, it seems that you wouldn't be using the large ones for anything other than the warm-up ladders.

I don't know if you can buy those rungs singly, or in smaller packs, but
If there is an option, maybe you could get just 3 large ones, to train 1-4-7, maybe, since you cannot do it on the mediums yet?

You can move the rungs farther apart as you progress, maybe start with 1-4-1 (bump up and back down), and them get to 1-4-6, and finally 1-4-7. And eventually 1-5-9 Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook