RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

j-s

Oct 9, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #1 of 9 (5776 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by j-s
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

redlude97

Oct 9, 2012, 6:18 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j-s] (newbie) Flags : How and when to use them / differences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't have a copy of the self coached climber, it would be the perfect book and accompanying dcd to explain the uses of various movements much better than can be on the internet.

climb4free

Oct 9, 2012, 9:02 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Their uses are largely dependent on which hand you are looking to move and where the 1 foothold is located in relation to your center of gravity. Also, inside and outside flags are most useful on steep terrain.

(This post was edited by climb4free on Oct 10, 2012, 2:45 PM)

theextremist04

Oct 10, 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #4 of 9 (5656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flags are one of those things that are really difficult to teach, but once you figure them out they make perfect sense. They're one of the most intuitive climbing moves, at least in my opinion. I certainly never sit there working routes and think about when to use them.

brooklynclimber

Oct 10, 2012, 2:02 AM
Post #5 of 9 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theextremist04] (newbie) Flags : How and when to use them / differences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theextremist04 wrote:
Flags are one of those things that are really difficult to teach, but once you figure them out they make perfect sense. They're one of the most intuitive climbing moves, at least in my opinion. I certainly never sit there working routes and think about when to use them.
I agree. IN the Self Coached Climber there is a good discussion of moving your center of gravity using a flag. However, it was simpler for me just to use them...

j-s

Oct 10, 2012, 3:06 AM
Post #6 of 9 (5627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brooklynclimber] (newbie) Flags : How and when to use them / differences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess with practicing some more will I develop the habit of flagging and integrate it into my technique.

After reading some documentation, I've come to the conclusion that these moves are used mainly for balance and to avoid barn dooring, and do not only have a "reaching" purpose.

Technically speaking, am I right saying that when regular flagging, the reaching hand is generally the same as the supporting leg (the one that's on a hold... outside edge)?

Thus, when inside/outside flagging, the reaching hand is the one opposite from the leg that's supporting (inside edge)?

marc801

Oct 10, 2012, 5:26 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j-s wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess with practicing some more will I develop the habit of flagging and integrate it into my technique.

After reading some documentation, I've come to the conclusion that these moves are used mainly for balance and to avoid barn dooring, and do not only have a "reaching" purpose.

Technically speaking, am I right saying that when regular flagging, the reaching hand is generally the same as the supporting leg (the one that's on a hold... outside edge)?

Thus, when inside/outside flagging, the reaching hand is the one opposite from the leg that's supporting (inside edge)?

Oh for fuck's sake quit over analyzing it already! Just climb. Find out what works and what doesn't. Learn to feel your balance. Learn how to counter-balance. It ain't paint by numbers.

jt512

Oct 10, 2012, 3:45 PM
Post #8 of 9 (5527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j-s wrote:

Yes.

There's more information and good practice drills in the The Self-Coached Climber.

Jay

j-s

Oct 10, 2012, 4:50 PM
Post #9 of 9 (5502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] (newbie) Flags : How and when to use them / differences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Will look into that book, as it seems to be recommended by many :)

I know I may be overanalyzing the thing, but my intention was to know if there were different approaches about the topic in the climbing world (just like some people preach that using a screwgate carabiner upside-down is better when belaying since the gravity "pulls" on the screw in the proper direction, thus "kind of" preventing it from accidentally unscrewing, while others say it makes no difference for belaying purposes...)

Also I wanted some input from other climbers, in order to develop good habits from the start.

Thank you a lot for your comments. I will definitely buy Self Coached Climber!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook