RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

granite_grrl

May 1, 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #1 of 2 (6807 views)
Shortcut

Runner's opinion wanted - glycemic stores
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My running group goes out Sat morning at 7:30am. I enjoy these runs and when I go on them I won't eat breakfast before. Typically I'll go 10-15km, so if I'm taking it easy, 1-1.5 hours.

Problem is that it's Saturday and I like to go climbing too. When I do both in the same day I find I'm good for a couple hard burns and then I fizzle out. I'm thinking this is because I have depleted my glycemic stores with the run in the morning.

Just curious how other people have managed running before climbing, or if it's just something I need to cope with if I decide to head out running on Sat morning before climbing.

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on May 1, 2015, 12:53 PM)

viciado

May 6, 2015, 12:22 PM
Post #2 of 2 (6489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Runner's opinion wanted - glycemic stores [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have found the same to be true when I cycle before climbing. This is usually about an hour of technical terrain, so, while on the lower end of endurance energy consumption, it does compare somewhat your situation.

You can somewhat mitigate this effect by increasing the glycogen stores in the local muscles. For running and climbing this means low intensity endurance training for the target muscle groups. Long, Slow Distance for running and ARC or climbing EASY laps. These are usually the most boring days of training and thus hard to maintain, but the pay-off is noticeable.

You could also check out glycogen loading, but IMHO, it is more for competition or a specific peak performance goal and should be planned in coordination with a competent personal trainer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook