Forums: Climbing Information: The Lab:
Improved sliding x: Is it really safer?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 37 Next page Last page  View All

Partner dominic7

Feb 25, 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #326 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Re: Improved sliding x: Is it really safer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
From a KISS perspective I can see people slapping a locker around both, figuring two strands is better than one, and being vulnerable to B) above. Is the consensus that straight clipping both strands (without a sliding X crossover in one strand) is a Bad Thing (tm)?

Roger that, can confirm that taking the big ride when only half your anchor blew is a Bad Thing™

over and out

Edit: Wait, what are you asking? There's no way to clip both with a single biner without an X and not be vulnerable to option B. Do you mean just clip one strand?

That's just what I'm asking. More to the point, which is being field tested and drop tested? The original drawing shows two biners, but certainly every person or important item being attached to the anchor won't be using two biners. If you only use one biner, do you sliding x the two strands or just clip one strand? Using a sliding x gets you the redundancy in the powerpoint but you give back a measure of the equalization you gain if you just clip one. I know which one I like, but I'm just curious which one will get the holy Falcon Guide urine sprinkled on it. :)

charlesjmm

Feb 25, 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #327 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
RGold,

That's another good go at a firewalled rig. This is a -2x version of charlesjmm's rig a few pages back: I haven't set either up and will when I get home. Like I said, I certainly see the logic in putting a firewall between extension and equalization but I still have my doubts about the ultimate efficacy and utility of doing so given the hardware required. I'd probably just lose the rings as well and go straight through the biner. I bet in real application the difference would be of negligable impact on the net results. Also not sure that I wouldn't just use three [trad] draws and a slightly longer equalizing piece to make it.

charlesjmm photo:

http://i42.photobucket.com/...erdavid/DSCN0082.jpg

Healyje, in order to prevent any confusion, please take note this picture was posted by Dr. Monkey on page 17……… it looks similar to my rig though……

Charlesjmm

Partner rgold

Feb 25, 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #328 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The fact that so few anchors are known to have failed poses a problem. Why bother with a better anchor rigging methods if we aren't seeing a whole lot of consequences of the use of current methods?

I think this is one case when real-world experience doesn't help. The problem is that a factor 2 fall onto the belayer is an exceptionally rare occurrence. Most climbers never experience one in an entire career, and no one that I've ever heard of has anything approaching the number of experiences I'd think would be required for "expertise."

Since the catastrophic circumstances that test the ultimate purpose of an anchor are so rare, we cannot say that anchoring practices have been adequate so far and don't need fixing. For all we know, the several tragedies we do know about might represent an extremely high failure rate for traditionally rigged anchors. I'm sure that a significant fraction of all climbing anchors built by "experienced" climbers could not withstand a factor two fall. I do not exclude my own anchors from this observation. I'd guess the percentage is over 10%, maybe much higher, but of course neither I nor anyone else has any real knowledge.

In the face of what is really a stunning level of ignorance, we have had to use of hunches, intuition, experience with less severe impacts, and yes, theoretical reasoning, which some people discount as soon as it conflicts with their private intuition system or the conventional wisdom of the day. The accumulated "common sense" about anchors is really not much more than folklore, and John, with his experiments, has just begun cracking open the door of a very dark room.

And he has to do this, because the rest of us can build whatever anchors we want and live or die by their adequacy, but he is telling other people how to build safe anchors, and surely an anchor is not a safe anchor if it cannot save a party from the consequences of a leader fall onto the belay.

I've never been a fan of acronyms like srene, because their advantage is their disadvantage: they substitute rote for thinking. But certainly the two critical ingredients in staving off anchor failure in the real world are the "e" and the "r," equalization and redundancy. The rub is they have to be achieved efficiently, both in terms of time and gear.

Non-orientable anchor systems are redundant but, in my opinion, more often then not seriously fail the equalization test and thereby lose half the battle. If all the pieces are bombproof, then failing the equalization test is not a serious problem. But desirable as three bombproof pieces may be, anyone who claims that their anchors always meet this standard is either delusional or utterly inexperienced. Less than perfect pieces are a fact of life, sometimes for pitch after pitch, and redundancy without significant equalization is an inadequate response that we get away with because we're tested so infrequently. We may not be there yet, but surely there is a better way to deal with the less than ideal circumstances that are an unavoidable part of climbing life.

Partner rgold

Feb 25, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #329 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's another good go at a firewalled rig. This is a -2x version of charlesjmm's rig a few pages back: I haven't set either up and will when I get home. Like I said, I certainly see the logic in putting a firewall between extension and equalization but I still have my doubts about the ultimate efficacy and utility of doing so given the hardware required. I'd probably just lose the rings as well and go straight through the biner.

The rig you posted (which isn't charlesjmm's) doubles the load to the middle anchors. I can't see any reason to do this when it is easily avoided.

This may be just a matter of linguistics, but I don't think there's anything to the concept of "firewalling" between extension and equalization, at least not in the picture I posted. Both equalization and extension happen in the part I called the "equalizer." The point of doing it in a way analogous to my picture is to use an equalizer with no limiter knots that has a short extension by virtue of relatively little total sling length.

As for the rings, I agree that one might profitably do without them. I put them in because of one of those untested hunches I just got done heaping scorn on: I have this image of a piece failing and the resulting turn of sling ending up over the gate of the biner. Whatever the impact the system takes would then produce an inward force on the gate, a rather unhappy prospect.

healyje

Feb 25, 2006, 1:17 AM
Post #330 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The rig you posted (which isn't charlesjmm's) doubles the load to the middle anchors. I can't see any reason to do this when it is easily avoided.
Thanks Charles, it's been a bit of a winding road and I'm still in programming skim mode. And jesus, Rich, I've heard you're a hard case - now I'm getting spanked and graded on my references - ok, ok, I fixed the references. I was actually attempting to acknowledge your very clever innovation removing the 2x loading on the middle anchors with my calling it your "-2x" rig.
In reply to:
This may be just a matter of linguistics, but I don't think there's anything to the concept of "firewalling" between extension and equalization, at least not in the picture I posted. Both equalization and extension happen in the part I called the "equalizer." The point of doing it in a way analogous to my picture is to use an equalizer with no limiter knots that has a short extension by virtue of relatively little total sling length.
No, it isn't linguistics. Such rigs, in comparison to pure AE ones, definitely "firewall" extension from equalization by design. The reasoning for this statement is that the equalizer legs don't go up to the anchors - instead static legs comprise the majority of the overall / "extended" vertical length of the rig. This severely curtails the length and impact of any extension within the much shorter equalizer component. The biners at the demarc between the equalizer and the static, fixed legs represents a very real "firewall" boundary between extension and equalization. Extension risk in general is mitigated by long, fixed static legs at the top; equalization is provided by the short dynamic equalizer at the bottom - i.e. they are [largely] "firewalled" versus the equalette or limited AE rig where the two are conjoined and integral.

In reply to:
As for the rings, I agree that one might profitably do without them. I put them in because of one of those untested hunches I just got done heaping scorn on: I have this image of a piece failing and the resulting turn of sling ending up over the gate of the biner. Whatever the impact the system takes would then produce an inward force on the gate, a rather unhappy prospect.
Two biners if you thought that was a real prospect I suppose.

hugepedro

Feb 25, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #331 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While this thread has been interesting, I fail to see the advantages that any of these rigs have over this:

http://i1.tinypic.com/oi6m8x.jpg

4 ft sewn runner, and 6-7 ft loop of 7mm perlon. Long enough arms to accomodate most anchor placement situations, and you often don't even have to retie the knots. I keep it pre-rigged on my harness. Place 3 pieces, and presto, anchor is rigged in 10-30 seconds, depending on if you have to retie the limiter knots.

Or the following for a 2 bolt anchor - the Huge-rig. :)

In reply to:
I think there is a rather obvious flaw in that ASCA argument.

In reply to:
Many climbers use a "sliding X" to equalize two pieces - ususally beginner climbers with bolt anchors. You should NEVER use this except in two specialized cases (see below). While the sliding X does equalize the pieces, it assumes that neither could break, since if one does break, there is severe extension in the system - enough that it would likely cause the carabiners to break. Since it assumes neither piece would break, it's a stupid system - if neither would break, there's no need for equalization. If one might break, then there is WAY too much extension. This is why many call it the "death X." Instead, use one sling off of each bolt or piece. You can tie one shorter to approximately equalize the pieces if needed.

Their premise is dead wrong. You don't use the sliding X assuming that neither could break. You use it because you do not know whether one will break, nor do you know, if one breaks, which one it will be that breaks. So you use it because you want each bolt to take the least amount of force possible, thereby increasing your chances that neither one will break.

You always use 2 slings for redundancy, and you tie knots to limit extension. You can tie the knots so that the amount of extension would be no more than what is possible even with a cordalette when the direction of force happens to be somewhat away from the line that was anticipated, which is not unusual.

Also, the issue regarding whether it will actually dynamically equalize under load is not really an issue. Most of the time it is already oriented in the direction of force, and it if is not it then it is no more out of line than what you would get with a cordalette.

I think it really comes down to personal preference, because if we're talking about a 2 bolt anchor, where the bolts and rock look solid, it doesn't matter what the heck you use.

Another point, as bostonclimbah mentioned, is speed and efficiency, and I'll add convenience to that. I keep a sliding X anchor rig on my harness, pre-rigged, knots tied and everything, ready to go. It takes me 5 seconds to build a 2-bolt anchor. The knots are tied to limit extenstion to 3 inches, and this still allows a 45 degree deflection to each side of vertical. Those are 27kn slings. This thing is truck. You'll also notice that I use 2 lockers at the bottom, and they are not opposed. This allows for very easy clipping and unclipping of the power point. Also, each locker is clipped to a seperate sling, allowing smoother movement (dynamic equalization) than if they were both clipped to both slings.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=41579

One thing my post in the above link doesn’t mention about the Huge-rig, if the bolts are not even horizontally I just flip one of my slings around (that’s why my limiter knots are tied unevenly like that).

Count me in with the KISS crowd. Someone earlier suggested people will start placing 4 pieces as a sort of standard, not me. Rigging won't determine my anchors. If I get 3 solid pieces I almost don't care what it's rigged with.

It is nice to see the sliding-X vindicated though. I remember having a big ol' argument with jt512 about the "death X" on here a few years ago. I wonder how long it will be before the ASCA takes this ridiculous statement about the sliding-X off their website:

In reply to:
Many climbers use a "sliding X" to equalize two pieces - ususally beginner climbers with bolt anchors. You should NEVER use this except in two specialized cases (see below). While the sliding X does equalize the pieces, it assumes that neither could break, since if one does break, there is severe extension in the system - enough that it would likely cause the carabiners to break. Since it assumes neither piece would break, it's a stupid system - if neither would break, there's no need for equalization. If one might break, then there is WAY too much extension. This is why many call it the "death X." Instead, use one sling off of each bolt or piece. You can tie one shorter to approximately equalize the pieces if needed.

The two cases where the sliding X is used:

equalizing tenuous pieces in a larger anchor - for instance, two poor nuts in a large natural pro anchor. The nuts are equalized, then the sliding X is equalized with other pieces through a cordelette, webolette, or other non-extending method.

equalizing two very tenuous pieces in extreme aid - for instance, a hook and a bashie on A4 terrain.

moose_droppings

Feb 25, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #332 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro,
Isn't the right leg in your anchor bearing 50% of the load, and the middle and left two anchor points 25% apiece?

curt

Feb 25, 2006, 5:14 AM
Post #333 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OMG. None of the previous three showed up when I tried posting. Now they're all here. Argh. Quadruple post, a new record.

Rich, it's the Olympics--you may as well go for the gold. 8^)

Curt

Partner cracklover

Feb 25, 2006, 5:50 AM
Post #334 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Couldn't you just eliminate the rap rings on the bottom equalizer?

It seems the sliding W (three leg magix X with no limiter knots which would kill the equalization) or the gordolette (which I haven't tried yet) is the only way shown so far to truly equalize among 3 placements.

No, the Mooselette also accomplishes this. I feel like it's gotten short shrift, considering how well it equalizes, and how KISS it is.

GO

hugepedro

Feb 25, 2006, 6:26 AM
Post #335 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hugepedro,
Isn't the right leg in your anchor bearing 50% of the load, and the middle and left two anchor points 25% apiece?

Yep. And I have no problem with that. It's still better than a cordalette because no single piece will ever bear 100% of the load. And if only 2 of my 3 pieces are solid placements then I have what you could think of as the equivalent of a 2 bolt anchor (no worries there, eh?). But I always get the equivalent of 3 solid pieces, whether I place only 3 or more than 3. There have, of course, been exceptions to that rule when I’ve made up for a dicey pro situation with a good stance.

glowering

Feb 25, 2006, 7:35 AM
Post #336 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
= hugepedro You'll also notice that I use 2 lockers at the bottom, and they are not opposed. This allows for very easy clipping and unclipping of the power point.

I would not do that for a top rope anchor. For a multipitch where you can keep an eye on it sure. But I've seen a top rope anchor with the exact same setup unscrew the gate, open the gate, and rescrew enough to hold the gate open. The other gate was unlocked but not open. Perhaps examining all the directions the rope travel could cause unsrewing the biners could be examined, but I switched to reversed and opposed non-locking ovals.

As far as the top rig with a sliding X on a 4' sling, and a sliding X on a cordelette, no ones saying that isn't a viable option, just looking for a better solution. In some situations that may be the best bet, but the equalette may be better in other situations with one less 4' sling and biner, and perhaps better equalization.

For the powerpoint on multi-pitch anchors I've been using a large biner like the BD rocklock or Petzl William. Much easier to clip and unclip your direct tie in, etc. without having to unweight the anchor.

Partner climbinginchico

Feb 25, 2006, 9:08 AM
Post #337 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://i5.photobucket.com/...lhessy/anchorpic.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/...sy/anchordropped.jpg

I came up with this messing around tonight. It uses one big ass WC 10mm sling and a double length mammut sling, and biners. It distributes load evenly, and has minimal extension. With three pieces it can be used with a shoulder length mammut sling. It extended a bit when I dropped one leg, and allows a decent amount of lateral movement with equalization. I used clove hitches to attach the WC runner to the biners to minimize extension.

Fast to rig, and break down, because there are no hard knots.

I will play with this tomorrow at the climbing wall at work, and take some more pics. The angle that looks like it's about 90 is actually closer to 30.

Partner climbinginchico

Feb 25, 2006, 9:08 AM
Post #338 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://i5.photobucket.com/...lhessy/anchorpic.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/...sy/anchordropped.jpg

I came up with this messing around tonight. It uses one big ass WC 10mm sling and a double length mammut sling, and biners. It distributes load evenly, and has minimal extension. With three pieces it can be used with a shoulder length mammut sling. It extended a bit when I dropped one leg, and allows a decent amount of lateral movement with equalization. I used clove hitches to attach the WC runner to the biners to minimize extension.

Fast to rig, and break down, because there are no hard knots.

I will play with this tomorrow at the climbing wall at work, and take some more pics. The angle that looks like it's about 90 is actually closer to 30.

pendereki

Feb 25, 2006, 2:00 PM
Post #339 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those of you experimenting with these new rigs-- has anyone noticed cause for concern that gear placements might be compromised by a moving power point? Is there enough play in the systems that belayer movement could cause cams to walk or hexes to wiggle out? Would an upward pull piece alleviate this issue and how could that be incorporated into these systems?

I am going to run around this thread and give everyone trophies for the next month or so.:!: Thanks :!:

Chad

dr.ed
Deleted

Feb 25, 2006, 2:00 PM
Post #340 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that rgold's last proposal is getting to the point.

1) Anchors are individually rigged with webbing or whatever to point close to the belayer.

2) These individual connections are then gathered into an equalizing system.

3) The belayer attaches to the equalizing system with the climbing rope.

The tricky part is 2), coming up with an equalizing system that works with multiple anchors simply, and minimizes extension upon individucal anchor failure.

flyinglow

Feb 25, 2006, 2:36 PM
Post #341 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tied a equalette with butterflies for limiters, and came up with a way to equalize 3 pieces with it! As myself and others have said, pulley effect allows you to double the force on one side of an anchor. if you clip 2 pieces to one side and one to another, the problem has been that the doubled side gets only 1/4 of the force to each piece. but a sling added below in this configuration should evenly distribute the load(real world, you should double the sling for redundancy)

the equalette can still be used in standard configuration for 2 or 4 pieces of pro also.

what do y'all think?

http://i42.photobucket.com/...ow/3pieceeqlette.jpg

edit to add C/U:

http://i42.photobucket.com/...lyinglow/3pczoom.jpg

vivalargo

Feb 25, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #342 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ain't it amazing that this thread has received upwards of 21,000 hits? And we've rarely gotten off course. All good stuff.

I'd like to just chuck in one more thought. I've always been a huge KISS fan, and if truth be known, so long as I have totally bomber placements, I often just tie in with the rope just to keep from cocking around. The more garish anchoring rigs come into their own for various reasons in various circumstances. As Richard G. has repeatedly pointed out--and correctly, in my book--the reason so few cordelettes, or anything else, ever fail is that factor 2 falls so infrequently occur. The same can be said for commercial aviation accidents--they almost never happen, probably because the pilots are so well trained and the gear (wings, et al) rarely if ever get truly maxed. And yet in commercial aviation they don't start scaling back the pilot training or making flimsier planes because they rarely get maxed.

And so for us, in the climbing world, we need to keep this aviation model in mind. Build stuff for the worst case scenarios--as simply as possible--and also, don't try and shortcut the "pilot training" part. As is, folks are worried about climbers not being able to tie a few simple knots without getting confounded. To me this is totally ridiculous. In any other endeavor that is potentially dangerous we expect folks to learn how to do thing to safeguard the adventure. Climbers simply have to learn some basic stuff, and that's a fact. To expect rigging to be totally brainless and foolproof is to expect too much from those struggling to cook up these systems, and expecting too little from those who will someday us these systems. Compared to what others learn--and must exercise-- to fly a plane or scuba dive, climbers are obliged to know very little indeed. But it will never get to the point to where they will have to understand nothing at all.

JL

hugepedro

Feb 25, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #343 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You'll also notice that I use 2 lockers at the bottom, and they are not opposed. This allows for very easy clipping and unclipping of the power point.

I would not do that for a top rope anchor.

I would. I don't do a bunch of top-roping where multiple people are running up and down the rope, and most of the time the biners are in sight. If they're out of sight and handling multiple trips I'll reverse and oppose them, otherwise there's no reason to worry.

In reply to:
As far as the top rig with a sliding X on a 4' sling, and a sliding X on a cordelette, no ones saying that isn't a viable option, just looking for a better solution. In some situations that may be the best bet, but the equalette may be better in other situations with one less 4' sling and biner, and perhaps better equalization.

I understand everyone is looking for a better solution, I'm just saying that I haven't seen it in this thread. I see no advantages in the areas of simplicity, speed, strength or equalization in any of the ideas being kicked around here. Better than a cordalette, yes, but not better than what I use most often.

What I see with this equalette thing is 1 less sling than my rig, the same number of biners, probably more "fiddly" to equalize, and not as much range in re-orienting to the load. In fact, the position that the limiter knots are tied in the picture of my rig allows it to be used to rig either horizontally or vertically oriented anchor pieces without having to retie the limiter knots, most of the time. You use the long leg on the top piece in a vertical orientation. Most of the time, once I have my 3 pieces in, I whip this off my harness and my anchor is rigged in a matter of seconds, no fiddling required.

In reply to:
For the powerpoint on multi-pitch anchors I've been using a large biner like the BD rocklock or Petzl William. Much easier to clip and unclip your direct tie in, etc. without having to unweight the anchor.

Nothing wrong with that. I just prefer redundancy at every link in the chain.

roy_hinkley_jr

Feb 25, 2006, 7:20 PM
Post #344 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As is, folks are worried about climbers not being able to tie a few simple knots without getting confounded. To me this is totally ridiculous. In any other endeavor that is potentially dangerous we expect folks to learn how to do thing to safeguard the adventure. Climbers simply have to learn some basic stuff, and that's a fact. To expect rigging to be totally brainless and foolproof is to expect too much from those struggling to cook up these systems, and expecting too little from those who will someday us these systems. Compared to what others learn--and must exercise-- to fly a plane or scuba dive, climbers are obliged to know very little indeed. But it will never get to the point to where they will have to understand nothing at all.

JL

Knots are easy, that isn't the problem. Understanding the physics of falling is beyond the grasp of most climbers...go to a crag and ask around, more than likely few can properly explain theoretical fall factor (let alone actual fall factor) or what the most important number is on a carabiner (hardly anyone will say open gate). It's taken a decade for climbers to finally understand that the cord-o-death has serious drawbacks for trad; should have been obvious but very few got it or said anything. Just look at some of the pics in this thread where people don't capiche the pulley effect.

Sounds like you're combining the two anchor books into one encyclopedia of rigging that will overwhelm the majority and only help a minority. Of course it all makes total sense to you and people like rgold because you're emersed in it. But a lot of things you take for granted go right over the heads of many climbers -- this thread is mostly populated by nerds and look at all the confusion ;-) Book authors (not just JL) often assume a greater understanding of science by the average person than our education system justifies. At least with flying and scuba, students are required to take courses from an instructor and pass tests but climbers aren't even required to read a book (yet).

Include the fancy rigs in the back if you must but spending more space up front explaining the very basics of physics (that none of your books cover, or any other instructional book for that matter) will be more valuable to more climbers IMHO. That will prevent more mistakes than just offering up 101 ways to rig 4 nuts with pros and cons on each. After all, geezers are just going to flip through it and look at a few sections to pick up an idea here and there. It's the people starting out and the ones beginning to get serious about trad who will read it all.

kubi

Feb 25, 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #345 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like this one a lot. Sets up quickly, equalizes perfectly no matter the angle. I only see two problems with it: 1) exessive extension. With a 20ft DueGlidealette and 3 equal arms the failure of one peice dropped the powerpoint about a foot, which I belive is beyond the limit of safe extension outlined early in this thread by JL. 2) There is no easy way to adjust the height of the powerpoint. If the only protection at a belay stance is at head level you'll end up with a powerpoint down by your feet. I don't doubt there are knots to take up some slack, but they aren't one of the 4 or so knots I know how to tie well.

edit: nevermind. You can easily take up any amount of slack by just clove hitching a biner into one of the arms. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

johngo

Feb 25, 2006, 9:48 PM
Post #346 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wowzer, some of these rigs remind me of the time I dosed my pet spider:

NETS MADE BY SPIDERS FED ON DRUG-DOSED FLIES
http://www.hashish.net/weblife.html

:lol:
johngo

Partner csgambill

Feb 25, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #347 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wowzer, some of these rigs remind me of the time I dosed my pet spider:

:lol:
johngo

Ha, I agree. I think this is a great thread and there are a lot of great ideas. But in my opinion, the complexity of some of these anchors outweighs the benefit you get from their equalizing properties. The more complex something is, the easier it is to screw up. Especially when you're tired. As JL just said,
In reply to:
I've always been a huge KISS fan... The more garish anchoring rigs come into their own for various reasons in various circumstances.
It's all a matter of picking the right tool for the job at hand.

-CG

flyinglow

Feb 26, 2006, 2:08 AM
Post #348 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I like this one a lot. Sets up quickly, equalizes perfectly no matter the angle. I only see two problems with it: 1) exessive extension. With a 20ft DueGlidealette and 3 equal arms the failure of one peice dropped the powerpoint about a foot, which I belive is beyond the limit of safe extension outlined early in this thread by JL. 2) There is no easy way to adjust the height of the powerpoint. If the only protection at a belay stance is at head level you'll end up with a powerpoint down by your feet. I don't doubt there are knots to take up some slack, but they aren't one of the 4 or so knots I know how to tie well.

edit: nevermind. You can easily take up any amount of slack by just clove hitching a biner into one of the arms. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

don't know if anybody has tried this before, but i just thought of another way to limit extension and add redundancy to an AE setup:

build AE normally.
pull up some slack next to a biner and tie a loop on a bight.
clip loop into biner.
repeat for all 3 legs. (don't make it tight, just big enough to float w/ no tension (on loop)through desired range of movement. it should still equalize and move normally,just a be a little shorter)

If a piece blows, or even if a cord is cut, you get minimal extension, and lose only one piece, leaving the others still equalized once the slack is out.
It also only takes a couple extra seconds, and no extra gear!

downside, it's not as pretty, or quite as easy to check once it's set, but if it's set up properly and checked before the backup knots are tied it should be no problem. the knots also might catch in-between the biners on extension causing some funny loading, but it still won't drop you entirely.

vivalargo

Feb 26, 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #349 of 915 (115601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
As is, folks are worried about climbers not being able to tie a few simple knots without getting confounded. To me this is totally ridiculous. In any other endeavor that is potentially dangerous we expect folks to learn how to do thing to safeguard the adventure. Climbers simply have to learn some basic stuff, and that's a fact. To expect rigging to be totally brainless and foolproof is to expect too much from those struggling to cook up these systems, and expecting too little from those who will someday us these systems. Compared to what others learn--and must exercise-- to fly a plane or scuba dive, climbers are obliged to know very little indeed. But it will never get to the point to where they will have to understand nothing at all.

JL

Knots are easy, that isn't the problem. Understanding the physics of falling is beyond the grasp of most climbers...go to a crag and ask around, more than likely few can properly explain theoretical fall factor (let alone actual fall factor) or what the most important number is on a carabiner (hardly anyone will say open gate). It's taken a decade for climbers to finally understand that the cord-o-death has serious drawbacks for trad; should have been obvious but very few got it or said anything. Just look at some of the pics in this thread where people don't capiche the pulley effect.

Sounds like you're combining the two anchor books into one encyclopedia of rigging that will overwhelm the majority and only help a minority. Of course it all makes total sense to you and people like rgold because you're emersed in it. But a lot of things you take for granted go right over the heads of many climbers -- this thread is mostly populated by nerds and look at all the confusion ;-) Book authors (not just JL) often assume a greater understanding of science by the average person than our education system justifies. At least with flying and scuba, students are required to take courses from an instructor and pass tests but climbers aren't even required to read a book (yet).

Include the fancy rigs in the back if you must but spending more space up front explaining the very basics of physics (that none of your books cover, or any other instructional book for that matter) will be more valuable to more climbers IMHO. That will prevent more mistakes than just offering up 101 ways to rig 4 nuts with pros and cons on each. After all, geezers are just going to flip through it and look at a few sections to pick up an idea here and there. It's the people starting out and the ones beginning to get serious about trad who will read it all.

Because I mostly agree with this statement is the reason that the rigging systems discussed in this thread appear at the end of the book, long after we've gone over (and dame well exhausted the topics) individual placements, forces, direction of pull, and the absolute necessity of setting a bomber "Jesus nut" (the first pro off the belay) that will arrest any fall, as opposed to the anchor. That means all of this talk about anchoring systems is basically for ease, peace of mind, and for the very few of us who will someday experience a factor 2 fall.

While few climbers like to needlessly dick around with rigging, how many climbers out there are actually seed climbing, or can't take the extra minute needed to square a system away, as opposed to just slapping something together and thinking this is "better" because it's faster.

If anything, this thread points out some of the material that needs to be widely disseminated-- a tricky thing to encourage when so many people climb only on bolts and wonder -- What's the point?

JL

andrewbanandrew

Feb 26, 2006, 2:41 AM
Post #350 of 915 (115596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about just hitching into the anchor with the rope? Does nobody do that?

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 37 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook