Forums: Climbing Information: The Lab:
Improved sliding x: Is it really safer?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 37 Next page Last page  View All

healyje

Mar 15, 2006, 4:53 AM
Post #651 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Re: Improved sliding x: Is it really safer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Worth reposting from page 31:

In reply to:
In reply to:
John,
Does a static cordellette reduce the aforementioned inequality of multi-length cordellette arms? :?:

Not sure what you're asking here--but testing shows that ANY and all anchoring systems with a fixed masterpoint are not equalized or even redundant (in the strict sense of the term) unless the arms are perfectly equal length--meaning the only way a cordelette is viable is in connecting two side by side placements--like bolts found atop a sport climb. And since the "Quad" tested out much better at this task, that's the way to go.

If you look at the two systems beyond the equalette that show promise -- the Gordolette and the Moosealette -- both have a sliding masterpoint. You have to have that for off axis loading and for the system to dynamically adjust--or so it seems thus far.

The equalette will never perfectly equalize 3 or 4 pieces, but both arms will be almost perfectly equalized in both horizontal and vertical orientations, and the two strands of both arms will share in acceptable load distribution if said strands are connected to primary placements. This system will also adjust (the masterpoint biners will slide) to some off axis loading without the arms/strands going lax--if you have it set up correctly.

As somebody said earlier, no one system is the end all be all for all situations. It just turns out that the cordelette--which I heavily promoted from the outset--did not remotely test out as advertised, and so can no longer be considered a general rigging strategy. In fact for anything but two side by side placements, the term "static equalization" is a meaningless term. And even with two side by side bolts, for instance, a tiny bit of akimbo loading on the fixed masterpoint and you're on one placement.

JL

[ And get over it - that is the equalette in the schematic of mine on Jake's list ]

curt

Mar 15, 2006, 5:12 AM
Post #652 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't believe that fingertrouble is being made to do so much heavy lifting in the equalette anchor analysis. I'll come out of lurk mode long enough to help the poor guy out, but someone like rgold who has established a rep for knowing physics should really step in...
If you think that fingertrouble and rgold are reading from the same page of music, you haven't been following these several threads very carefully.

In reply to:
In my book (sorry to mention it, but...) ...This is what's shown in the first and second parts of the illustration on page 152 of my book... If you believe what I've written in my book... The first time I've seen it published...is in my book... etc...

In reply to:
It must be frustrating to find how little influence your book has had, but that's life. There is nothing in your book that wasn't well, if not universally, known before.

The difference between the two is that rgold has actually had something useful to contribute to this discussion.

Curt

hugepedro

Mar 15, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #653 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hugepedro
Couldn't you use 3 sliding X's in thats place like pictured on page 9?
Looks to be close to the same thing, either way is pretty simple.
The same would go for the 3 sliding X's on a 3 arm anchor, middle leg would get 50%. If one felt the need for 4 pieces I would be inclined to use this if the situation warranted it.

Yes, that's it. But these rigs slide easier than a sliding-x. There isn't much new about this at all, just that clipping them this way rather than clipping them as an X never occured to me until others suggested it. On a 3 piece anchor I have no problem with 1 piece taking 50% most of the time.

healyje

Mar 15, 2006, 6:04 AM
Post #654 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Helpful selected Largo quotes (not necessarily in chronological order):

http://rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1309933#1309933
In reply to:
The tests were to determine, once and for all, which system was better at load sharing when sustaining a dynamic fall (Factor 1 for our testing)--the Cordelette, or the Sliding X. Both rigging systems were tested when rigged to vertical and horizontally oriented anchor points. In the vertical configuration--as you find in a crack--the rigging systems have unequal sized legs; in the horizontal configured anchor (as found, for instance, with bolts placed side to side on top of a sport climb), the legs are as close to equal as they could be tied.

Moreover, each set up was tested with several diameters of high tensile strength cord and webbing (Dyneema, Technora, Spectra, et al), as well as with old style nylon cord and webbing.
JL
http://rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1310296#1310296
In reply to:
What I'm saying here is that it was thought by some that the Sliding X (with limiter knots) was a poor choice because if one piece in the system failed the extension in the system would produce a "shock load" on the remaining piece(s). So far, testing says otherwise.

The business of what a true shock load is, and why, is a very long discussion.

JL
http://rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1313314#1313314
In reply to:
An interesting note is that while the sliding x is the clear winner so far as equalization goes, it still had a tendency to be erratic, owing to the x clutching or binding on itself. The solution was simple--use a wide mouthed, anodized biner at the master point, and the loading on 2 points was just about equal (less than 10% difference).

JL
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1326110#1326110
In reply to:
These paragraphs concern the initial testing, done with the cordelette (in both equal and unequal arm length configurations) connecting only two primary anchor points.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1324902#1324902
In reply to:
How we all hate to change our ways . . . I kinda figured some folks would cling to the old per rigging strategies--but let me admit this much:

A dozen years ago, I promoted the cordelette across the board. Testing found that it didn't work as advertised--or even close to as advertised. Unless a cordelette has perfectly equal length arms, and is attached to TWO side by side placements (like bolts), it does not function remotely as well as other systems. You should not use the cordelette to connect 3 pieces in ANY configuration. In fact, if you are trying to rig up anything but two side by side pieces, there is no such thing as a "well made cordelette."
Can I make it any plainer? I have no vested interest in any rigging system save the one that actually works.

Why have more of these systems not failed in the past. Simple: very few belay anchors ever sustain a factor 2 fall, or anything close to it.

If you insist on using the cordelette (in any configuration beyond the 2 side by side placements)--have at it. No one's stopping you. But do so knowing that testing (by the most experienced drop-tester in the US, with the results worked up by two PhD. statisticians/climbers) says you are potentially at risk.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1317519#1317519
In reply to:
5. Another note: There is little if any evidence of a strand breaking in a rigging system in any real world fall. Providing your gear is in good condition, the concern that a strand might break is a theoretical, not a real world, concern. Anything can get cut--even the rope--but a strand does not simply break from a fall. Note how many cam tie in loops have actually broken in all the hundreds of thousands of falls on those units. Any? I've never heard of this happending if the cord is in good shape.

6. So far, the equalette and the quad are field testing the best (in both ice and rock climbing situations). Easy, solid, fast to set up and dismantle, no doodads, and no special gear.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1319258#1319258
In reply to:
In reply to:
all right, equalette=duo-glide, I understand that now, doesn't seem to equalize very well though.

Huh? The reason we are pushing the equalette is not because it is something we are hung up on but because in the actual drops tests it equalized remarkably well. And since extension of a few inches is not an issue, and because the equalette can sustain off axis loading, it's looking the best of the lot so far in terms of field testing. Believe me, I have no preference as to any rigging system save that it is simple, uses no extra gear and actually works as advertised.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1319705#1319705
In reply to:
This just in: The field testers just told me that that picture featuring the unweighted arms of the Equalette is not strictly accurate because the master point was not sufficiently weighted, or weighted at all. When the master point is weighted--as with a belayer's body weight--and off axis loading occurs, the master point slips toward the directional of pull and equalization--across all four placements--is maintained. This slipping master point is facilitated by using anodized pear biners, which glide fluidly even under great loading. Of course the master point will only slip so far before running into a limiter knot, but from what I'm being told, for this to realistically happen the rope would have to be clipped through a point of pro (the last piece before the belay) way off the plumb line (left or right), and the second would have to fall on that pro before reaching it. And that's a pretty rare scenario in which the loading would rarely if ever get very high as it's a second falling on a top rope, as opposed to a leader falling directly onto the belay--which is a super rare thing, thank God.

Thanks to Tom Cecil, Bob Gaines, Gordo and others who have put in the hours to field test this stuff. I think we're getting closer to a few basic systems (Sliding X with limiter knots and anodized biners; equalette, Gordoette; and the Quad for top roping and sport/bolt anchors) that will cover just about anythng the rock can throw at us. I also want to stress that the cordelette, when rigged with perfectly equal arms and lashed to two bomber placements, is still a viable rigging tool, even though it doesn't test out as well as the other systems. The cordelette is only clearly less effective when combining more than two placements and when the arms are of unequal lengths. That much said, I wouldn't expect every climber to give up the cordelette anytime soon. Many will continue with their same ways, not understanding that the cordelette was never actually proven to be effective in equalizing in the first place.

aradia

Mar 15, 2006, 6:06 AM
Post #655 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your math is wrong. If each of the four segments uses 9" of cord, and one blows on each side, the master point will extend 4.5", not 18".

Although this correction was wrong, cracklover pointed out in a PM that my math was still incorrect. Using the numbers I gave, the extension will be 9", not 18". Oversight on my part. Oh well. Considering this, it looks like a pretty good rig.

hemp22

Mar 15, 2006, 6:57 AM
Post #656 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for doing that Joseph. now you should probably make your new signature a link to that post....

I finally got to set up the new rigs from mhabricht and papounet. I also think that the cloves in mhabrict's setup are a great way to set it up to equalize with less extension than in papounet's free-flowing version. But, mhabrict's rig seems a little more finicky to set up than the plain equalette.
I kind of like a hybrid of the two:
Start with a plain equalette setup, and just add to biners to the insides of the 2 primary limiting knots (just clip them between the loops inside, no need to actually tie them into the knot - like papounet showed w/ the rap rings).
Then from each of those biners, proceed to set up the rest like mhabricht's version - with the equalizing line from the outside biner going to clove hitches on the pro.
I don't mind using non-locking biners for that part since if the biner breaks or comes open, the extension is still limited by the cloves.
So, it shares the good equalization plus extension limited by cloves with mhabrict's version, and it shares the ability to be used as a standard equalette with papounet's version....
(of course, the expense of getting a little better equalization is 2 extra biners, and more time - so I don't know that I'd actually use it in this configuration more often than in standard configuration.)

Edit to add pictures (and again to resize them):
1) the hybrid michalette/papounette. created by adding a couple biners to existing pre-tied equalette.
http://i2.tinypic.com/rhpfk2.jpg

2) close-up of one half of the rig. note that the excess cord length is just tied off with an overhand on a bight on the inner of the loose limiting strands.
http://i2.tinypic.com/rhph8g.jpg

3) When being used for a 3-piece anchor, this system would consist of one side (2 pieces) being set up as the hybrid, and the other side (1 piece) would just be cloved like a standard equalette (and the extra biner removed)...
http://i2.tinypic.com/rhph5s.jpg

healyje

Mar 15, 2006, 8:19 AM
Post #657 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hemp,

Other than the biners being around overhand knots as opposed through 8's I can't see any difference between your rig above and mhabicht's. Maybe I'm just missing it or can't tell from the pictures, but it looks just like this one of mhbicht's:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/...0/6299michaelrig.jpg

And on three points I'd clove both strands on the "1" side or I'd keep both equalizing halves, but clove both inside strands on the middle piece.

charlesjmm

Mar 15, 2006, 9:36 AM
Post #658 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(Edited to enhance pictures and rigging procedure)

An alternative rigging method of mhabicht´s design - no clove hitches. Connection to the placements is made via a Double Figure 8 (having a bigger and a smaller loop). Extension will depend on how big you set up the bigger loop:

http://i49.photobucket.com/...9/carlosjmm/MH06.jpg

This approach provides efficient use of the cordelette and calibration is required on 2 knots only. I would carry it pre-rigged.

Closeup of the Double Figure 8 - very easy to calibrate :

http://i49.photobucket.com/...9/carlosjmm/MH07.jpg

For three placements, just clip either loop of the Double Figure 8 to the standalone piece. And following Papounet´s thinking, it could also serve as a fire wall if scaled properly.

CharlesJMM

papounet

Mar 15, 2006, 1:39 PM
Post #659 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
mhabicht,

Just wanted to say that the more I play with your rig (michalette?) the more I like it. I don't necessarily like the interplay of knot and biner but my cord is too short to tie an "in-line figure-8" which is what should be used. Good on you for thinking it up - this is one I might actually use if I wanted more active equalization than a straight equalette. Here is my shot of it:

papounet,

The principal problem I have with your variant of this design is you've removed the cloves which I think are actually the key element of mhabicht's design and one it shares with the equalette. It equalizes more than adequately with the cloves and suffers far less extension with them than without them. I think your use of rings is fine, but I think you downgrade the one of the best aspects of the design removing the cloves.

Dear healyje,

the design from michael really caught my eyes. and I am happy that we agree on how good it is.
the difference between michael's design and mine is the intended usage.

Michael's design is an improvment over the equalette of John. It is a full length cordalette whith a dual function: attaching far protection (which are far) to the anchor point and then linking the point into one anchor powerpoint. because of the length of the arms, clovehitches are necessary to limit the extension

My design is a "firewalled" approach. The cord length I use is 1/3 or 1/4 of a typical cordalette (1.8m seems right). it does not allow for pro which are far from the anchor powerpoint zone, you have to use additional biner/draws,... for some of them
But because of its limited size, the extension is limited.
for the paranoid minded, it is true double strand everywhere.
(as the force is halved betwen each side, one may argue that a single strand clovehitched is enough)

so both michael's designs and mine are better than John's equalette. Our 2 systems work as 2 alpine equalizer side by side linked by a sliding II. Both can be pre-rigged (rap biners are lighter/small than biners)

Michael is a one long cordalette design (with the bulk and weight associated)
Mine is a much more compact stand alone equalizer that may need additional connectors.

I am inclined to think that depending how many pro have to be extended to reach my equalizer system, it is possible that michael's design could be faster to setup and need less biner

hemp22

Mar 15, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #660 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joseph, you're right, the only difference between the one I posted and michael's is that the biners are under the knots instead of through them. I'd rather not have to work the biners into the middle of the knots, or to replace the knots with larger ones, so by just clipping under the knots you can leave the standard equalette limiter knots in place without having to do anything to them. I guess I wouldn't want to leave those 2 extra biners through the limiting knots if I was just going to use it as a regular equalette. You can convert between a standard equalette setup and this setup without fooling with the limiter knots, which is the nice feature that came from papounet's idea.

good points on the 3-piece anchor. I guess I'd want to keep the 4th strand cloved to one of the placements, but which placement I go to would just depend on the relative locations of all of them.

Partner epoch

Mar 15, 2006, 5:19 PM
Post #661 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So, has the better mousetrap been built? I have been following this from inception and I have totally lost everything that has been going on in relation to building the better mousetrap. Isn't the point of placing gear in relation to anchors to ensure that they are BOMBER?? Sure, redundancy while being able to be multi-directional are great, but if you are building an anchor, assuming that you'd be belaying a second in a multi-pitch situation, wouldn't you build it to sustain a pull in the direction of your last placed piece of pro????!!!! Call me an idiot, but unless this is to be set up for toproping, I really don't see the signifigance of having a directionally equalizing anchor unless top roping.

Am I looney or is someone else following what I'm saying???

Furthermore you CAN rebuild and equalize the anchor to support a lead following the previous pitch, as well as provide a directional placement to keep an upward pull.

Hence, no need to build a better mousetrap.

I use cordeletts as well as weboletts, and I have nor do/will/forsee me having any issues with the current set ups. If I need to provide directional equalization while climbing, it's usually off of two pieces that are attached using an improved sliding X and I continue climbing. My anchors are ALWAYS built to hold irregardless of what way they are being pulled. Even thoug they are "static" and do not self equalize. I try to anticipate the direction of pull and set them up approperately.

crotch

Mar 15, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #662 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. Both of these seem like elegant solutions.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/...0/6299michaelrig.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/...9/carlosjmm/MH06.jpg

I like the 2-loop figure eight of the bottom photo, but like the cloves of the top photo.

charlesjmm

Mar 15, 2006, 7:26 PM
Post #663 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crotch, I have included labels in your post to aid explanation.

In reply to:
Wow. Both of these seem like elegant solutions.

http://i49.photobucket.com/...nalysisEQ-NECorr.jpg

I like the 2-loop figure eight of the bottom photo, but like the cloves of the top photo.

I have found these 2 designs to be functionally equivalent. Attention must be exercised while calibrating :
In Mhabicht´s design, Equalization range and Extension are balanced by the length of the slack strand.
In CharlesJMM variant, Equalization range and Extension are balanced by the size of the bigger loop in the Double Figure 8.
In both cases, optimal configuration is obtained when placements are grouped fairly close.

In terms of rigging convenience, if you carry them pre-rigged :
- In Mhabicht´s design, you must calibrate 4 clove hitches.
- In CharlesJMM variant you must calibrate the bigger loop of the 2 Double Figure 8s.
- For 3 pieces, you must calibrate 3 clove hitches versus 1 big loop of the Double 8.

CharlesJMM

healyje

Mar 15, 2006, 7:45 PM
Post #664 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Isn't the point of placing gear in relation to anchors to ensure that they are BOMBER?? Sure, redundancy while being able to be multi-directional are great, but if you are building an anchor, assuming that you'd be belaying a second in a multi-pitch situation, wouldn't you build it to sustain a pull in the direction of your last placed piece of pro????!!!! Call me an idiot, but unless this is to be set up for toproping, I really don't see the signifigance of having a directionally equalizing anchor unless top roping.

I think you are agreeing with Craig (or is it Greg / boltdude) who expressed the primacy of the individual pieces with the rig totally secondary or negligible import with regard to anchors. I frankly don't agree with that as a principal way to view what anchors are all about. I start with two realities in mind a) the cards I've been dealt relative to available pro and b) the set of possible anchors that fulfill my current requirements. It's the conjoined mapping of those two that result in the final anchor I build, and that may or may not utilize all the available "bomb" placements. The priority is the final anchor when I build one - not the individual placements. Also, a placement is only "bomb" relative to it's contribution to an anchor, not in isolation. It doesn't really help if you can get a bomb piece in but that won't work directionally within an anchor. The bottom line is an anchor is a system - the performance of the collected whole of it is what is of primary importantance. Otherwise you wouldn't build anchors - you'd put in pieces and "anchor" to them individuallly.

In reply to:
I use cordeletts as well as weboletts, and I have nor do/will/forsee me having any issues with the current set ups. If I need to provide directional equalization while climbing, it's usually off of two pieces that are attached using an improved sliding X and I continue climbing. My anchors are ALWAYS built to hold irregardless of what way they are being pulled. Even thoug they are "static" and do not self equalize. I try to anticipate the direction of pull and set them up approperately.

In general the test data does not support these statements, proceed as usual, but hope for no unusual events - and one of John's points is you should [ideally] be building anchors that can withstand the ever unlikely, but very real, catastrophic event that always happens to someone else.

Again, no one is in search of perfect equalization or any other anchor attribute - this has been an explicit search for "good enough" and anchors that give you options when confronting a variety of possible placement configuations. What we've been survey and evaluating is both the edge boundaries of various anchor designs and the utility of their various elements. I'm personally looking for a collection of anchor building blocks that provide me with the most [simple] options possible for when I get to the top of a pitch.

healyje

Mar 15, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #665 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charles,

First up I should say that is mhabicht's rig and not a variant of mine. Second, while the differences are subtle I don't consider the two "functionally equivalent". The configuration and performance differences are actually quite different with the cloves or lack of them driving those differences. I consider that cloving of the strands to be the principal driver of the best that mhabicht's design delivers. Does it require "tuning" to optimize the extension vs. equalization mix on each side? Yes, but that is more than offset by the control that tuning delivers. That the extension and equalization components are isolated (as in Craig's solution) is the best aspect of the design. Your variant does away with that isolation to gain some ease-of-use, but at the loss of options and control that I'd prefer to retain hence my preference for mhabicht's design. Specifically you lose control over extension. In your variant equalization and extension scale together - wider pieces and longer equalization results in more extension if a piece blows. Mhabicht's design allows for long equalization with essentially no increase in extension.

charlesjmm

Mar 15, 2006, 9:12 PM
Post #666 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Healyje,

I have amended my post to reflect your observation, thank you.

In terms of functionality what I have found is that, although Equalization and Extension components are isolated in mhabichts design, as you spread apart the pieces the amount of slack cord (which controls equalization & extension) is unavoidably reduced to accommodate the greater distance amongst pieces and therefore equalization is sacrificed. In this case, I believe the isolation of functions provides no substantial practical advantage to improve Equalization, knowing now that we can "relax a bit" regarding extension.

CharlesJMM

Partner philbox

Mar 15, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #667 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm liking the mhabitcht over the CharlesJMM. What I'm thinking is that the mhabitcht is a little more versatile than the CharlesJMM. It seems to me that the legs on the mhabitcht can be set wider than the CharlesJMM.

jakedatc

Mar 15, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #668 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a few questions about the Mhabitcht rig.

1. what is the distance between the 2 knots on the bottom
2. does that distance need to change each anchor or can it be set in advance and the adjustments be made with the clove hitches and slack.

3. do you need to have the upper biners tied into the knots or can they be clipped below the knot and then into the slack

healyje

Mar 15, 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #669 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Healyje,

I have amended my post to reflect your observation, thank you.

In terms of functionality what I have found is that, although Equalization and Extension components are isolated in mhabichts design, as you spread apart the pieces the amount of slack cord (which controls equalization & extension) is unavoidably reduced to accommodate the greater distance amongst pieces and therefore equalization is sacrificed. In this case, I believe the isolation of functions provides no substantial practical advantage to improve Equalization, knowing now that we can "relax a bit" regarding extension.

CharlesJMM

Charles,

Your point is well taken and a valid criticism/issue, but I will probably counter that by either going with 5.5. Technora and making it longer or by using draws to reduce the need for more cord - still have to do a bit of thinking/playing with it relative to that decision.

healyje

Mar 15, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #670 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
1. What is the distance between the 2 knots on the bottom?
This question is more important relative to [static] equalette designs. I'm liking mine in the 8-9" range though with mhabicht's design it less of an issue because of the active equalization so it can be shorter without constraining things too much.

In reply to:
2. Does that distance need to change each anchor or can it be set in advance and the adjustments be made with the clove hitches and slack?
I would say by and large it would be set-and-forget sort of deal.

In reply to:
3. Do you need to have the upper biners tied into the knots or can they be clipped below the knot and then into the slack?
I haven't played with that aspect of it as much as I want yet. I don't like the interplay between biner and knot when just enclosing an overhand with the biner. I also don't want to use up the cord an inline-8 would require; At the moment I'm undecided over this aspect of the design.

Overall I think this is an exceptionally insightful evolutionary leap on mhabicht's part in realizing nothing should be wasted...

glowering

Mar 15, 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #671 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's another variant. I'll try next time to get a double figure 8 on the lower knots so the biner doesn't have to sit on the shelf on the lower knot. When you tie the limiter knots get plenty of slack in that little loose strand.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3930/my1mn.jpg

Here's the quad bill7 asked for:

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/501/quad6dq.jpg

billl7

Mar 16, 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #672 of 915 (121084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here's the quad bill7 asked for:
Thanks much for making and posting the pic - it is different than I was thinking. The name "quad" is sensible of course. Correct me if I'm wrong: collapse a loop of cord; fold it over onto itself; tie two limiter knots; each master point biner (2 total) hangs on 2 strands.

Bill L.

justthemaid

Mar 16, 2006, 1:36 AM
Post #673 of 915 (121075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
3. Do you need to have the upper biners tied into the knots or can they be clipped below the knot and then into the slack?

I was wondering the same thing myself. I've been trying it both ways. I like the ease of just clipping it under the knot, but I understand there might be some issues with the interplay. Let's hear some more opinions.

[quote="healyje"]
In reply to:
Overall I think this is an exceptionally insightful evolutionary leap on mhabicht's part in realizing nothing should be wasted...

I have to agree here. The more I play with this the more I like it. (I think it's my new favorite.) With practice it's not really hard to set up, and I like that it doubles as a plain equalette.

Glowering- good try but I'm finding the limiter knots are messing up the works especially if you have erratic placements. I still prefer mhabicht's. (Equalizes better/ more redundant).

fingertrouble

Mar 16, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #674 of 915 (121075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charles, there's one attribute of your latest design that I think hasn't yet been brought out fully. It could be said that it doesn't effectively manage extension, or that it fails in half.

For example, consider the structure on one side of the main master point. Say that pro placement options mean that one leg of the pair on that side ends up being 1 foot long and the other leg is 4 feet long. If the short leg's placement fails, that side will drop about 1 foot; if the long leg's placement fails it will drop 4 feet . . . but only if there is enough length between the limiter knots at the power point to allow it. If the power point carabiners come against a limiter knot, the side of the anchor with the failure might not be loaded and the 2 placements on the other side might take all the load, depending on the specifics of the anchor layout (a vertical crack being an obvious challenge).

This issue concerns the length of the 4 legs (to limit extension), constrains the location of the limiter knots, and potentially limits the universal applicability of the design. It also adds a bit of subtlety to the construction of any given anchor. Many of the proposals I've seen recently could allow substabntial extension that would impact the power point, so this concern applies to some other 4-placement designs, too, but not to the most obvious one: a 4-placement anchor made with 3 2-placement equalettes.

healyje

Mar 16, 2006, 5:32 AM
Post #675 of 915 (120941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...so this concern applies to some other 4-placement designs, too, but not to the most obvious one: a 4-placement anchor made with 3 2-placement equalettes.

Craig, by that do you literally mean three different overlapping equalettes to a shared/common master point? If so I'm not sure that's an "obvious" one or just that we think quite differently, unless of course you were specifically thinking of a big wall aid route and in PTPP/Chongo state of mind. Three cords would be a bulky lot to haul around even in 5.5mm...

First page Previous page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 37 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook