Forums: Climbing Information: The Lab:
Improved sliding x: Is it really safer?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 Next page Last page  View All

charlesjmm

Mar 16, 2006, 5:53 AM
Post #676 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Re: Improved sliding x: Is it really safer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Charles, there's one attribute of your latest design that I think hasn't yet been brought out fully. It could be said that it doesn't effectively manage extension, or that it fails in half.

For example, consider the structure on one side of the main master point. Say that pro placement options mean that one leg of the pair on that side ends up being 1 foot long and the other leg is 4 feet long. If the short leg's placement fails, that side will drop about 1 foot; if the long leg's placement fails it will drop 4 feet . . . but only if there is enough length between the limiter knots at the power point to allow it. If the power point carabiners come against a limiter knot, the side of the anchor with the failure might not be loaded and the 2 placements on the other side might take all the load, depending on the specifics of the anchor layout (a vertical crack being an obvious challenge).

This issue concerns the length of the 4 legs (to limit extension), constrains the location of the limiter knots, and potentially limits the universal applicability of the design. It also adds a bit of subtlety to the construction of any given anchor. Many of the proposals I've seen recently could allow substabntial extension that would impact the power point, so this concern applies to some other 4-placement designs, too, but not to the most obvious one: a 4-placement anchor made with 3 2-placement equalettes.

http://i49.photobucket.com/...losjmm/MHExplExt.jpg

Indeed, the applicability of this design is bound to scenarios where anchor placements are grouped close to each other. Under this condition, the Double Figure 8 provides a viable means of achieving equalization and limited extension constricted by the amount of material contained in the bigger loop (analogous to RGold´s equalizer in the Chopolette). The limiter knots at the master point come into play only when a complete side of the anchor fails; otherwise, the Double Figure 8s handle the situation.

Lastly, I would consider this design a reliable and convenient alternative when the rock allows for compact grouping of placements : gear requirements are basic; rigging is simple; provides equalization and limited extension.

Thank you all for the feedback.

CharlesJMM

fingertrouble

Mar 16, 2006, 3:43 PM
Post #677 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

...so this concern applies to some other 4-placement designs, too, but not to the most obvious one: a 4-placement anchor made with 3 2-placement equalettes.

In reply to:
Craig, by that do you literally mean three different overlapping equalettes to a shared/common master point?

I guess I should have been more clear, but I thought I'd seen something like what I meant posted before (but maybe with sliding-X's not with 2-placement "equalettes"?). Or maybe it just seemed obvious to me.

What I meant was equalizing two placements of the four with a 2-placement equalette (with limiter knots), equalizing the other two placements with another 2-placement equalette (with limiter knots), then joining these two equalettes with a third 2-placement equalette (with limiter knots) that supports the master point. You'd use 3 runners instead of 1 long accessory cord runner.

fingertrouble

Mar 16, 2006, 3:43 PM
Post #678 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

...so this concern applies to some other 4-placement designs, too, but not to the most obvious one: a 4-placement anchor made with 3 2-placement equalettes.

In reply to:
Craig, by that do you literally mean three different overlapping equalettes to a shared/common master point?

I guess I should have been more clear, but I thought I'd seen something like what I meant posted before (but maybe with sliding-X's not with 2-placement "equalettes"?). Or maybe it just seemed obvious to me.

What I meant was equalizing two placements of the four with a 2-placement equalette (with limiter knots), equalizing the other two placements with another 2-placement equalette (with limiter knots), then joining these two equalettes with a third 2-placement equalette (with limiter knots) that supports the master point. You'd use 3 runners instead of 1 long accessory cord runner.

fingertrouble

Mar 16, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #679 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:

glowering

Mar 16, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #680 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Glowering- good try but I'm finding the limiter knots are messing up the works especially if you have erratic placements. I still prefer mhabicht's. (Equalizes better/ more redundant).

I'll have to try it with erratic placements and see. This setup takes a little practice to tie the limiter knots correctly, but tied correctly it should equalize as good as anything else. As I mentioned get plenty of slack in that little loose strand, or it won't equalize.

The problem I have with mhabicht's (and the Gordolette, etc.) is that, although they are elegant/cool solutions, they are too time consuming and complex for everyday use. I'm already bummed that I will be probably be moving from the static tied cordelette (which only has one overhand or 8 knot and I could rig in less than 1 minute and easily visually check) to the equalette (which has 4 clove hitches that must be adjusted for length, and hopefully the limiter knots can be left in for most anchors-otherwise you are looking at dealing with 2 overhands and 4 clove hitches at every anchor, if that's the case I'll probably just keep about 4 pretied sliding-Xs with limiter knots on me to clip together as needed, I'll have to see what happens this Spring in real world situations).

I'll play around with my design some more when I get the chance. But the advantage is that is should be quicker and simpler to set up than the equalette and equalize better with limited extension. If the limiter knots can normally be left in the cord, then all this design would require for each new anchor is tying two overhand knots. I also tied it with 4 limiter knots, but didn't see much advantage in terms of lessening extension, and it just added two more knots, but perhaps this would be needed with erratic placements.

Bill7 - I believe my post of the quad and your statements about how to tie are correct, but Largo didn't go into too much detail when he posted about it, but I think that's it. For two bolts it looks great, if you used it for 8 placements (like a double equalette) you'd want a long cord.

justthemaid

Mar 16, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #681 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Charlesjmm:

http://i49.photobucket.com/...losjmm/MHExplExt.jpg

Lastly, I would consider this design a reliable and convenient alternative when the rock allows for compact grouping of placements : gear requirements are basic; rigging is simple; provides equalization and limited extension.

I'm a knot- junky so this one's fun for me. It's kind of situational, and not as practical as Mhabicht's rig, but I commend you for another creative contribution.

PS Could we please think up a better name for Mhabicht's rig? Typing mhabichtlette is a nightmare.

Sliding equalette?

Sliding duo-glide?

Double-duo?

Any other suggestions?

healyje

Mar 16, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #682 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, given his name is Michael, in a pm I was suggesting the "Michalette" (as opposed to bastardizing his handle to the "bitchalette"). But given this Equalette actually does "glide" I woud probably be more for divorcing "Duo Glide" from "Equalette" and using that name to call this one the "Duo Glide". Or maybe just "mGlide".

reg

Mar 16, 2006, 5:25 PM
Post #683 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mhabicht: gotta put my 2 cents in: cool design but adding the two omega wire's connecting the loops at the top are unnecessary points of failure! how about double figure 8 (dog ear, bunny ear, whatever) instead?

justthemaid

Mar 16, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #684 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the purpose of our discussions, I think I'll just call it "Mike's duo-glide". Seems like an accurate description.

moose_droppings

Mar 16, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #685 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Noticeing all the rigging with clove hitches has got me wondering as to their strenght in a sudden force. Now I've trusted dearly many times in a clove hitch, but I'm just wondering if there is any stats (or anyone in the know) on slippage when there loaded quite suddenly with a good force, or any difference if tied with cord or webbing? Just need to ease my mind, thanks.
Fingertrouble, theres a picture of the 3x2's on page nine set up in a 3 piece and 4 piece anchor, is this what you were talking about.

And maybe the "mikeglide"?

mhabicht

Mar 16, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #686 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mhabichtlette- That's funny..... how about Hawklette? Does anyone know why?

I am happy that some of you seem to like my rig. I was wondering why no one else is clipping the "butt" of the fig 8 as seen in my profile. I think this is less stressful than clipping the inner shelf. Try it...you'll like it. I have been clipping the "butt" of figure 8s for a long time and I have not developed cancer or anything, is there something I am missing safety-wise about clipping the knot like that?

On another note- if you rig the mhabichtlette quickly WITHOUT the cloves then add the cloves once you establish the direction of pull you must "steal" the extra slack for the clove on the load bearing side which will appropiately shorten the sliding side and leave the extension side a little limp. That is much faster than trying to guess in advance where to put the clove. If you end up with a super long slack side and want to limit extension more just add another clove to the limp side. It wont be a bother at all to the first clove and if the second is weighted due to leg failure the other clove will be unweighted and the second clove will recenter itself onto the spine of the biner.

This has been fun to watch...thanks guys/gals/superhumanclimbermachines.

-michael

justthemaid

Mar 16, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #687 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Double post.

justthemaid

Mar 16, 2006, 5:39 PM
Post #688 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weird- triple post.

vivalargo

Mar 16, 2006, 5:40 PM
Post #689 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Quad

This TOTALLY SIMPLE rig is mean to stay pre-tied on a length of 5.5 tech cord and is a speciality item for two side by side bolts as commonly found atop sport climbs and top rope situations. It is almost instantaneous to rig, allows some off axis loading, is elephant strong and almost perfectly equalizes two placements (had the best test results of them all per equalizing two points).

Field testers (especially guides) have found it not only bomber but very handy and, as said, lightning fast to rig.

Since two side by side anchor points are so common, it's a very useful rig to have if you commonly encounter those set ups.

JL

justthemaid

Mar 16, 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #690 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="mhabicht"]
In reply to:
... I was wondering why no one else is clipping the "butt" of the fig 8 as seen in my profile. I think this is less stressful than clipping the inner shelf. Try it...you'll like it. I have been clipping the "butt" of figure 8s for a long time and I have not developed cancer or anything, is there something I am missing safety-wise about clipping the knot like that?

Again- I don't know. It would be interesting to know which knot/carrabiner configuration is strongest. The fig 8 seems stronger, but the overhand takes up less cord . Hmmmm.

In reply to:
- if you rig the mhabichtlette quickly WITHOUT the cloves then add the cloves once you establish the direction of pull you must "steal" the extra slack for the clove on the load bearing side which will appropriately shorten the sliding side and leave the extension side a little limp.

-michael

For those who said Mike's duo-glide was slow to set up, follow Michael' instructions. I timed it- total time (after 4 pieces of gear were placed)- 60 seconds. Add 15-20 seconds if you are sloppy and need to feather the cloves into better positions.

Good job Michael.

glowering

Mar 17, 2006, 3:36 AM
Post #691 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I played with this one a couple more times and it seems to be working good. The limiter knots are tricky to tie correctly the first couple times you try, but then it seems faster to set up than the equalette. I shall now name it the Astro-Glide :wink: Unless you hang your haul bag from it, then it's called the piglette. :roll:

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/5425/full4ql.jpg

Like many of these equalette based designs, I think it's good to tie it offset, then it will work if pro is higher on one side than the other. I just remember my fisherman's knot is on the short side, so I put that side on the two pieces of pro that are lower.

http://img208.imageshack.us/...08/176/skinny0nx.jpg

One drawback with this one is the limiter knot will pull through the biner when an inside piece fails, but that's maybe not a big deal.

I initially didn't like designs with the biner next to the lower knot because the biner could get cross-loaded and was a PITA just clipped to the shelf (biner flopping around while you set it up), but the excellent idea of clipping it into the "butt" of the 8 holds the biner in place nicely.

When you tie the limiter knot pinch the two strands close to the biner, then pull out about 6 inches of slack one side and tie an overhand, to get that little loose strand that allows it to equalize.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3634/tie6kh.jpg

http://img104.imageshack.us/.../6950/closeup6lp.jpg

Hmm, just realized the outer pieces get 2X force of the inner pieces, due to the pulley effect. It could be resolved by tying limiter knots in the outside arms as well, but then you're looking at 4 overhands, maybe a little quicker to tie than 4 clove hitches, but not as easy to adjust. You can also tie the limiter knot in the two middles loops together as one, then you end up with an AE type rig (equalizes among 3 pieces), but with better limits on extension than the AE.

mhabicht

Mar 17, 2006, 7:12 AM
Post #692 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

glowering -
I like that rig above but I think if an inner leg blows then you end up with enough extension so that much of the load comes onto the figure eight knot and thus the only two legs feel load rather than remaining fairly eqaulized among the 3 other pieces left. I could be splitting hairs- I have to play with it.

Wheee.... I have an exam monday but I am SURE I can find the time to goof off a few extra hours since I cant climb!

-Michael

papounet

Mar 17, 2006, 9:49 AM
Post #693 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Quad

This TOTALLY SIMPLE rig is mean to stay pre-tied on a length of 5.5 tech cord and is a speciality item for two side by side bolts as commonly found atop sport climbs and top rope situations. It is almost instantaneous to rig, allows some off axis loading, is elephant strong and almost perfectly equalizes two placements (had the best test results of them all per equalizing two points).

Field testers (especially guides) have found it not only bomber but very handy and, as said, lightning fast to rig.

Since two side by side anchor points are so common, it's a very useful rig to have if you commonly encounter those set ups.

JL

dear, if the quad is to be used mostly for 2 anchors, why carry the full length cordalette necessary to build it ???

wether you build it with preplaced rings as in my equalizer or not, You may want to carry a shorter version ( made with 1.8 or 2.4m of cord.

this is way large enough to connect 2 pro.
this can then be supplemented by additional slings and draws to handle 3 or 4 anchors.
This can be supplmented by biners a la mhabitch to provide even better adjustability.

I very respectfully suggest that you consider testing mhabitch design (which does require a bit more rope for 3 o4 pro) which provides better equalization that your original equalette design at the cost of 2 biners

tradclimbinfool

Mar 17, 2006, 3:00 PM
Post #694 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! I stumbled across this and the "companion thread" when you guys were already up to 40 Pages. I had many things I wanted to comment on, but respectfully waded through all those pages so as not to take the conversation backwards with questions that might have been answered already. Being a slow reader and playing with a lot of these rigs, I was lucky to have a couple days off work to get the task done! I must say, however, it was a bit anticlimatic to reach page 46 and not actually stumble across the "holy grail" of anchor rigs! :lol:

I must admit first off, that I am and have been a cordalette user. When I started climbing 9 years ago, the cordelette was just catching on with those that taught me and it was advertised as meeting the SRENE attributes. It seems, at least in my mind, that the No Extension part of SRENE was always ephasized by those I learned from, so I always shunned the use of the sliding X.

Now, in light of Long's findings about extension and the apparently exagerated fears of "shock loading", and the ongoing discussion (backed up now by Long's data) that the Cordelette never actually equalized very well at all, every thing changes.

I'm very impressed by the ingeniousness of the many people who have contributed ideas to this thread. Great to see such a successfull brainstorming session on RC.com!!! :D

I am convinced, however, (after many attempts here) that there isn't going to be another "one size fits all" anchor rig as many of us have treated the cordelette over the past years. What we've got instead, are a bunch of new tools--each of which has a slightly different relationship to the seperate attributes of SRENE.

BTW, in light of the recent findings I hope that Long changes SRENE to SRELE (or something with the same intent). SOLID--REDUNDANT--EQUALIZED--LIMITED EXTENSION.

Obviously there are a lot of criteria for deciding between all these possible new anchor rigs. How do we decide? Someone early on suggested that we should quantify a scoring procedure for each attribute, but no one seemed to pick up that idea.

If we're not going to go that route, we should at least decide which attributes are most important to us. Obviously any hierarchy of attributes will have to be modified occasionally as the situation demands it (less than ideal placements, for example).

So, here is my take:

SOLID--Solid pieces are the foundation of any anchor. This is important above all attributes. I think we can all agree on this one. This point has been made repeatedly by Long and others.

REDUNDANT--Redundancy apparently means different things to different folks as there has been much debate over what is or isn't redundant. I prefer the simple explanation in Long's "More Climbing Anchors": redundancy means placing more than one solid piece and making sure that every piece of the system (including cordage) is backed up. By biggest beef with many of the proposed rigs is that they place equalization above redundancy! Personally, I will not use an anchor which will fail if the cord is cut in one place! :shock: I consider the risk from rockfall and/or random acts of gear failure to be about equal to the possibility of actually placing factor 2 type forces on the belay anchor. Both are extremely rare, but possible. In addition, there isn't much you can do about rockfall, but you can place a "Jesus Nut" to limit the possibility of a factor 2. If we're striving to achieve the best possible anchors, we need to build toward preventing either of these failure modes.

EQUALIZATION--Equalization is certainly a slippery devil! Perhaps the term Equalization should be traded for something akin to "Load Sharing", as we've seen that it is hard (perhaps impossible in the field) to equalize a load between more than two points. Load sharing is important because it maximized the solidity of the individual anchor points.

LIMITED EXTENSION--Now that we can all stop losing sleep over the fear of the dreaded "shock load" we have many more options available to us when it comes to rigging. Still I think it is in our best interest to limit extension as much as possible, but this is definitely closer to the bottom of my list now than it was previously.

KISS--All other things being equal, the simpler the solution the better!

(sorry this is getting so long, but hey, You all have had 46 pages, and I'm just getting started :wink:)

So, now I'd like to make a few comments about the rigs we've seen here that stood out to me.

The Equalette/DuoGlide:
Obviously John Long is very excited about this one! While we've all agreed that it probably won't equalize between more than two pieces at a time, even this is an improvement over the cordelette! My biggest concern is the reliance on single strands of cord going to each piece. Is this a big deal or not?? It doesn't seem that this has been resolve and I know somebody ought to have a definitive answer to this concern.
I think the best thing to take from the Equalette is the sliding masterpoint idea. I think this idea gives us a good compromise between range of equalization and limited extension while still maintaining redundancy. (Do we really need a rig that will stay equalized though 360 degrees? Aren't the peak forces we're all scared of generally going to be in a downward direction?)

On a related note, many have concern over the unequal load sharing that is present in most of the three point anchor setups. Personally, I think three "good" pieces are plenty and don't plan on building four piece anchors with any regularity in the future. I can live with one piece (preferably the one I judge to be the most solid) taking 50% of the load--I'm still better off than if I had used a cordelette or other static "equalization" technique.

Gordolette--What a piece of engineering! I set it up and was amazed at how well it seemed to work. But then I set it up again and something went wrong. I like the idea, but on numerous tries of rigging it, half the time I seemed to hitch the wrong damn strands together, even though I was conscious of how important that procedure was. Maybe I'm just slow, but I'd prefer something a little less touchy to rig.

Papounet--For a while I really liked this one. For compact anchors it seems like it would work well, but I found that the relative lengths of each segment are quite important if one wants to insure load redistribution after failure of a piece. Also, cutting of the cord in one of the pulley rigs would take two pieces out of commision. Also, I really like the versatility of keeping my cord standard length--shortening it up to optimize the Papounet setup would really limit my options in other situations--I hate haveing to carry extra slings for extending anchor pieces.

Mhabichtlette (or whatever we're calling it)--I really dig this thing! 8^) It does just about everything I want a rigging system to do. It takes the best qualities of the Equalette and adds the ability to share load among more than two pieces while limiting extension and providing good redundancy. Yes, it takes a bit of adjusting to get it set up, but so does the Equallette and many of the other rigs we've seen. I also feel that this setup is easy to visually verify (unlike the gordolette) once you do have it rigged.

But, who says we're done? Maybe someone's got an even better idea just waiting to come out!

Again, sorry this got so long--but I just had so much stuff bottled up inside after reading through all those pages. Keep up the good work everybody!!!!

glowering

Mar 17, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #695 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
glowering -
I like that rig above but I think if an inner leg blows then you end up with enough extension so that much of the load comes onto the figure eight knot and thus the only two legs feel load rather than remaining fairly eqaulized among the 3 other pieces left. I could be splitting hairs- I have to play with it.

That would only happen if you tied the limiter knot too far away from the biner. Every time I set it up, that didn't happen. Although if one piece blows you get 50% of the load still on the one remaining piece on that side, but all the 50/50 rigs (equalette based) will experience that.

I was bummed when I realized the outer pieces got 2X the load, since this setup seemed to be working really good. However this may work to it's advantage for 3 pieces (equal loading across all three, and I use 3 pieces of pro in an anchor much more often than 4), I'll have to play with it some more and see. One nice thing about all these equallette based rigs is that you can leave your cordelette setup with the two lower knots, then tie an equalette, an AstroGlide (for 3 or 4 pieces), or a Mike's DuoGlide, depending on how much equalizing you think you need.

tradclimbinfool

Mar 17, 2006, 3:52 PM
Post #696 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a simple rig combining some of the various ideas already brought forth:

http://www.teamarp.com/anchor-pic-01.jpg

As you can see, I've left my cordelette full length, but not utilized the entire thing in this anchor--gives added flexibility in different anchor configurations.

I started by rigging the a half-Mhabichtlette on the left. (actually started by tying the cloves and then added the stopper knot at the proper place below the biner--worked really well!) Then I tied the stopper knot on the right to create the DuoGlide powerpoint. I finished up by clove hitching the third piece ala the Equalette (only I've opted to tie in both strands for added redundancy and strength--especially since this piece will get 50% of the load.) I backed up that clove with half a fisherman's knot for added piece of mind and left the remainder of the cord unused.

Total time elasped ~2 minutes--and that's with little practice! What do you all think? Nothing really new here--I'm just trying to come up with an efficient way to apply the things we've learned to a 3 point anchor.

charlesjmm

Mar 17, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #697 of 915 (115862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to address an issue which I believe has not been thoroughly discussed in this thread and one that imposes definite consequences on how we design anchors. I for instance have been mainly focused in doing creative rope work instead of revising the consequences of the arrangement of individual anchor pieces. In our discussions we always stress the importance of placing bomber anchors but rarely mention anything about their arrangements on the rock.

The following has been thoroughly covered in the literature; I will only mention it for ease of explanation:

While building a trad anchor, our time is spent in a three step process:
1) Finding an appropriate place to set up the anchor.
2) Placing the individual anchors components.
3) Linking the individual components with a cord.

Total rigging time will depend on how proficient we are in this 3 step process. The amount of effort and carefulness invested at each step will pay big dividends on the next. Ultimately, the time we spend at each step of the anchor building process will depend on how well we have completed the previous one. Each step will serve to set up the stage for the next.

The design of a trad anchor is intimately influenced by the way the individual anchor components are arranged onto the rock. As these arrangements fluctuate from simple symmetrical (horizontal or vertical) patterns to complex random ones, so will the malleability capabilities expected from the anchor design. A symmetrical / simple arrangement of anchor pieces can often be exploited to yield very a simple anchor solution, one that can be replicated under similar conditions while only needing some minor adjusting or fine tuning. In contrast, random anchor placements demand a rather custom fit approach in order to yield an anchor solution, which usually requires some extra building effort.

In the end, the Rock will have the last word, but rigging time is a matter of where you want to invest most of your time while building an anchor, if you set up a proper stage (step 1 & 2), the rope work required to link the individual anchors components will be reduced accordingly. Trying to find the most adaptable “rope work method” is opening the door to relaxing anchor building discipline.

CharlesJMM

tradklime

Mar 17, 2006, 4:48 PM
Post #698 of 915 (115895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know most have "moved beyond" the alpine equalizer concept, but I think it still offers the best load distribution for the most common 3 piece anchor. I fiddled around with making one from a single length of cord that is redundant. I wanted to have a single length of cord doubled up, but that would not completely fail if the cord is cut. Here is what I came up with.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=70782

The following is a close-up of the knot I used. Basically, I put an overhand in the middle of the cord and then fed the ends through the overhand before the double fisherman's finish. In this configuration, the anchor will not fail if the cord gets cut in one spot and the knot is just slightly more bulky than a double fisherman's by itself.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=70783

Does anyone know of a reason for not using the rolled aluminum rap rings for this application? The SMC website says 14 kn and I've seen other sources that say 16+ kn, which is plenty strong for me. The nice thing with the rings is that they are light, low bulk, and offer a "power point" that can accommodate a couple of biners.

Obviously, the AE is most efficient pre-tied and should be kept short enough to limit extension. You would have to use slings or the rope in a "firewall" configuration if the gear is spread out.

reg

Mar 17, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #699 of 915 (115895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am lovin this thread - it has changed me. i will simply add at this point something i've read before and i'll use tradclimbingfool's quote: "I consider the risk from rockfall and/or random acts of gear failure to be about equal to the possibility of actually placing factor 2 type forces on the belay anchor. Both are extremely rare, but possible. "

ummmm, all you need to do for a factor two on the belay is climb 3' or any distance with out clipping any gear above the belay device and fall! i would put this in the "could easily happen" catogory.

also this from same poster: "My biggest concern is the reliance on single strands of cord going to each piece. "

that's all you have anyway! ie; cordelette rigged ( the old JL way) to three pieces and an 8 to finish at the power point you end up with three loops going to the gear but each loop is one pass over the biner (same as one strand)

i am liking the "loop" being cloved at each piece as that gives each "leg" a backup - cool

tradclimbinfool

Mar 17, 2006, 5:58 PM
Post #700 of 915 (116049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i am lovin this thread - it has changed me. i will simply add at this point something i've read before and i'll use tradclimbingfool's quote: "I consider the risk from rockfall and/or random acts of gear failure to be about equal to the possibility of actually placing factor 2 type forces on the belay anchor. Both are extremely rare, but possible. "

ummmm, all you need to do for a factor two on the belay is climb 3' or any distance with out clipping any gear above the belay device and fall! i would put this in the "could easily happen" catogory.

Another point about rockfall/etc versus factor two falls. Factor twos are something you can control--or at least have some control over. The importance of the "Jesus Nut" is imperative!!! As is the dynamic rope and belay!! Obviously they are still going to happen occasionally. Rockfall on the other hand is almost always out of your realm of "control".
In reply to:
also this from same poster: "My biggest concern is the reliance on single strands of cord going to each piece. "

that's all you have anyway! ie; cordelette rigged ( the old JL way) to three pieces and an 8 to finish at the power point you end up with three loops going to the gear but each loop is one pass over the biner (same as one strand)
I follow you here, but it seems this has always been a point of confusion for many people (myself included). Wasn't there a study quoted earlier in this discussion that implied that the double strand of a webolette setup was stronger than the single strand? Wouldn't the same apply to cord in a cordelette? Perhaps I missed something here, though. I can certainly see how the tension in the cord where it wraps around the biner should be equal to the total load on that leg of the cordelette, but is there some interplay of friction and/or a variance in the tension due to the radius around the biner? It would be interesting to see test results comparing a cord looped through a biner and a single strand clove hitched to the same biner. Which would prevail?

Alas, I must leave the discussion here. Angelaa and I are off to the desert for 10days!!!!! :D Just hope I don't get 46 pages behind again!!!!

Have fun everyone!!!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook