Forums: Climbing Information: The Lab:
Improved sliding x: Is it really safer?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 37 Next page Last page  View All

fingertrouble

Mar 20, 2006, 8:59 AM
Post #726 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Re: Improved sliding x: Is it really safer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

healyje asked what I meant when I referred to "the obvious 4-placement solution made with three 2-anchor equalelettes." In the spirit of good clean fun and didactic utility I thought I'd post an illustration of an "obvious" 4-placement solution, with a few comments.
http://i1.tinypic.com/rths1x.jpg
* The design is shown with sliding-Xs equalizing pairs of placements (pick pairs closest to each other), although 2-anchor equalettes or troublettes could be used in the alternative. John Long has written here that his measurements show that the sliding-X equalizes within 10%, but in this design each of them gets half the load, so that would mean equalization within 5%. If that's not good enough for you, just substitute 2-anchor equalettes and add carabiners or, for even better performance, use two troublettes (see my nearby post for another illustration).
* This proposal uses three ordinary webbing runners instead of a long accessory cord runner. Select whatever length runners get you close to the configuration you require for a given layout of placed pro. That will speed construction by reducing tuning.
* In this design (using sliding-Xs as shown) the upper strands each support 1/8 of the load, or half that of some other design proposals, such as mhabicht's, in which the upper strands support 1/4 of the load. This is probably of minor importance.
* As with other 4-placement designs, if one placement fails its pair partner's share of the load (particularly the peak load) suddenly doubles, from 1/4 to 1/2 the total. In some other designs, the force on the remaining leg of cord also goes from 1/4 to 1/2. This is the best-case failure scenario.
* As with other 4-placement designs, the limiter knots for the master point must be tied to allow more extension than that allowed by the upper limiter knots, otherwise a failed placement will result in the load being held by a master limiter knot and the entire load will shift to only two of the placements, not three--the anchor will "fail in half." This is the worst-case scenario.
* This general design implemented with 3 troublettes would appear to have the least sliding friction of any 4-placement proposal made thus far.
* This proposal, especially if made with three sliding-Xs or troublettes, would appear to have the most KISS factor of any proposal thus far (based on a criterion, say, of ease in describing it over the phone). "Honey, I'm on my cell phone here. Can you check RC.com and tell me how to set up that anchor?"
* 4-placement designs are rarely used in practice, so experimenting with them may be amusing and educational but not really of practical value unless the design readily adapts to a 3-placement version. 3-placement anchor designs continue to be posted, even recently, that do not actually balance forces (equalize). The most daunting design challenge appears to be an effective, KISS, 3-placement anchor design that easily adapts to a 4-placement version.

healyje

Mar 20, 2006, 9:47 AM
Post #727 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So what is the advantage of a "troublette" over a sliding-X? I'm missing it. Yeah, three sliding-X's is straightforward, but I'd still take the equalette or mhabicht rigs over it. With that rig are you trying to make the case that somehow old / familiar complexity is less an issue than some new complexity? The three / four point issue is valid but many of the designs can cover both well enough.

papounet

Mar 20, 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #728 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
* 4-placement designs are rarely used in practice, so experimenting with them may be amusing and educational but not really of practical value unless the design readily adapts to a 3-placement version. 3-placement anchor designs continue to be posted, even recently, that do not actually balance forces (equalize). The most daunting design challenge appears to be an effective, KISS, 3-placement anchor design that easily adapts to a 4-placement version.

I am with you on this last point.

The equalette, the mhabitch design or my own equalizer work fine for 2 or four placements. The equalette would equalize 50-50 across 2 of the 3 placements (because of its dependance on clovehitch)
The mhabitch and the equalizer result in a uneven load distribution across the 3 pro with 50% going to the odd placement.

IF (and only if) this troubles you:
there are 1 way of rigging them for 3 pro with near equal distribution.
Instead of using the middle doubled strand to clip the powerpoint biners,
use the shortest end loop to create a 3 way sliding-x configuration.
(this means that one of the loops must not be larger that what you would be confortable with the risk of extension for a 3 way sliding X config, or be ready to ad yet another knot to your cord)
(please note the asymetrical position of the biners, if 2 pro failed, one of the biner would still be connected to the cord)

http://img240.imageshack.us/.../4694/triple52wh.jpg

at the cost of one rap ring (or any TIG welded aluminium ring), we can have a more compact system.
The trick is to build the equalette in two parts joined by the ring.
the benefits:
- the length of the loop to support the 2 powerpoint biners can be finetuned to be valid for both 2 or 3 points sliding without much extension in case of failure
- half of mhabitch/ papounette's equalizer operation posible at no additional cost (both are superior to the equalette)
- both strand of the power point loop are of the same length (in a equalette design, the relative length of the middel strands influences the equal loading of both biners)
- simpler to use for 2,3 or 4 anchors, the powerpoint biners always go to the same loop

the only downside: no longer redundancy of two independant poperpoint biners strands

the 2-part system used for 3 anchor
http://img122.imageshack.us/.../5972/triple26ti.jpg

the 2-part system used with 4 pro in equalette standard mode

http://img96.imageshack.us/...07/triple47ek.th.jpg

the 2-part system used with 4 pro in mhabitch mode

http://img122.imageshack.us/...05/triple32yk.th.jpg

I leave to the astute reader the task to vizualize the 2-part system used with 4 pro in papounette equalizing mode

Having proven that a equalette/mhhabitch/papounette can be evenly distributing load between 3 placements a the cost of having to master a 3 way sliding X with 2 biners, I guess some woud say that must say that one may choose to instruct novices into using the simpler equalette, and that the mhabitch/papounette variants ought to be left for more advanced climbers who understand the benefits and limits of 2 ways and 3 ways sliding X.

I ain't so sure.
I believe:
1. 2 ways sliding X are simpe enough to understand
2. 2 ways sliding X are the underlying mechanism of the mhabitch design
3. the mhabitch mode has better load distribution than the equalette mode
4. a pre-rigged cordalette with rap-ring(s) wakes mhabitch/equalizer operation a breeze

I would like to open the debate: is uneven load distribution for 3 pieces anchor (as provided by mhabitch mode) acceptable ?

or should we go for 3ways sliding X ??

In other words, is the added complexity of the 2 parts cordelette worth it ??

Ps: edited multiple times to get the pictures right

charlesjmm

Mar 20, 2006, 1:50 PM
Post #729 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
....... so I thought I'd spend some time in my garage looking into one of the underlying issues of this thread: sliding friction at the master point of anchors........

What about friction at the anchor biners where the cord makes a U turn? For anchor designs relying on this U turn to achieve load redistribution, wouldn´t the use of bigger radius anodized biners reduce friction significantly thus improving the overall load redistribution capabilities?

I guess the Troublette, Equalette and Mhabicht's eliminate friction problems due to the lack of any U turns at the anchor biners as well as X´s at the master point.

charlesjmm

Mar 20, 2006, 2:36 PM
Post #730 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edited to clarify explanation.

In reply to:
........I would like to open the debate: is uneven load distribution for 3 pieces anchor (as provided by b---- mode) acceptable ?

or should we go for 3 ways sliding X ??

In other words, is the added complexity of the 2 parts cordelette worth it ??.........

So far, the proposed anchor designs using 4 placements to achieve uniform load distribution are relying on unbalanced load distribution subsets to handle failure scenarios (RGold’s Chopolette being the only exception), ie, when a 4 pieces Mhabicht or Equalette suffers a placement collapse, the resulting configuration will only provide uneven load distribution. So in the end, if you adopt these designs you are implicitly settling for a 25% - 50% - 25% distribution.

billl7

Mar 20, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #731 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
How does one tie the knot below in the picture labeled "CharlesJMM"?

Here´s an illustration of how to tie the Double Figure 8. From this configuration, to create uneven loops you simple take in some of the cord of one loop which will feed the other one.

You could also obtain a similar result with a Bowline on a bight.
Thanks. The 2-loop figure 8 is clear and simple to recall. Wonder if it is practical to arm-chair-eval which 2-loop knot holds up better under pro failure and/or cut cord.

I generally like Mike's rig but want to explore it with a 2 loop knot and so I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Using the biner in the butt of the figure 8 leads me to wonder about how things might play out if cordage were cut on one side or the other of the knot (e.g., would the cut cord be more prone to slip through the knot?).

Bill L.

tradmanclimbs

Mar 20, 2006, 3:20 PM
Post #732 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will say that i did not even try to wade through 49 pages of this crap. All those diagrams and bundels of knotts on the last page do make me cring though!!! Do i have to do this crap with gloves on. Will I go hypothermic while my partner creates a spider web of knots, pullys and slideing slings :roll: Think I will just go back to clove hitching in with the lead rope! Better than going into a coma waiting for the leader to build a freaking science project up there :evil:

justthemaid

Mar 20, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #733 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="charlesjmm"]
In reply to:
........I would like to open the debate: is uneven load distribution for 3 pieces anchor (as provided by b---- mode) acceptable ?

In other words, is the added complexity of the 2 parts cordelette worth it ??.........

In light of John's research that tells us the standard cordelette set up has had us all hanging off basically ONE piece for years- I don't think I have a problem with a 25%-50%-25% rig like Mike's. (Running the odd arm to the best piece of course).

KISS is still important and the biggest problem with creating the perfect rig is always the added complexity.

charlesjmm

Mar 20, 2006, 5:12 PM
Post #734 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...... Thanks. The 2-loop figure 8 is clear and simple to recall. Wonder if it is practical to arm-chair-eval which 2-loop knot holds up better under pro failure and/or cut cord.......

Bill L.

There is a significant strength difference between the Double Figure 8 and the Bowline on a bight. I think it’s around a 20% difference (80+% vs. 60+% respectively).

roy_hinkley_jr

Mar 20, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #735 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Page 48 is pretty much unreadable due to the excessive width of some of the photos. Whoever posted those, please shrink them down to 800 pixels max (600 would be better).

glowering

Mar 20, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #736 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pile of poo for tradmanclimbs. If you don't understand what this discussion is all about, why make an ass of yourself insulting everyone's work?

In reply to:
4-placement designs are rarely used in practice, so experimenting with them may be amusing and educational but not really of practical value unless the design readily adapts to a 3-placement version. 3-placement anchor designs continue to be posted, even recently, that do not actually balance forces (equalize). The most daunting design challenge appears to be an effective, KISS, 3-placement anchor design that easily adapts to a 4-placement version.

The equalette/Mike's slider will adapt into an AstroGlide easily. If you are not understanding how the AstroGlide evenly equalizes among 3 pieces, take a closer look or let me know and I'll clarify. If the middle piece on an AstroGlide fails it will distribute 50/50 to each remaining piece. And it looks like if a side piece fails it will equalize 1/3 to 2/3 (middle piece), but the extension will only be 1-2 inches.

I'll post some pictures later, but the basis of the (equalette/Mike's slider/AstroGlide) can be racked on a rear harness loop pre-made, then you clip the 4 loops to 3-4 pieces, tie the knots (4 cloves or 2 overhands) and be ready to go in LESS THAN 30 SECONDS.

Anyone who can't figure these new rigs out, probably isn't going to be climbing something where they need them. (all their anchors will have bomber placement options and you could tie in any way you want). However once you are used to these new options I think they will be versatile, fast, and safe.

I am thinking now I will probably end up keeping two equalette based rigs on me and will use an AstroGlide unless I need a 4-piece anchor and then use Mike's Glider.

charlesjmm

Mar 20, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #737 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="justthemaid"]
In reply to:
In reply to:

In light of John's research that tells us the standard cordelette set up has had us all hanging off basically ONE piece for years- I don't think I have a problem with a 25%-50%-25% rig like Mike's. (Running the odd arm to the best piece of course).

KISS is still important and the biggest problem with creating the perfect rig is always the added complexity.

Let us travel 10+ years back in time to when the standard Cordelette was being introduced and let’s suppose the novel system was being promoted as providing a 25% - 50% - 25% load distribution. I wonder what the reaction would have been. Who knows, maybe the search for the 1/3 – 1/3 – 1/3 design would have started back then.

fingertrouble

Mar 20, 2006, 8:35 PM
Post #738 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So what is the advantage of a "troublette" over a sliding-X? I'm missing it.
Indeed. Here's what you missed:
In reply to:
Normalizing to the sliding friction of the sliding-X, I measured the sliding friction of the equalette to be about half that. The sliding friction of the troublette measured about half that of the equalette (1/4 that of the sliding-X), which is what you'd expect just by looking at their designs.
In reply to:
lower sliding friction is better, because that will allow better balancing of forces during the instant of peak fall force, thus better achieving the design objectives of the anchor
In reply to:
many of the designs can cover both well enough
Many, probably most, climbers think the 1-knot cordelette anchor works "well enough." I thought we were spending all this time trying to do better. What objective metric would you propose to gauge "well enough"? Or would your metric be subjective?

In reply to:
So far, the proposed anchor designs using 4 placements to achieve uniform load distribution are relying on unbalanced load distribution subsets to handle failure scenarios (RGold’s Chopolette being the only exception)
No, the 4-placement version of my Craig Short + John Long proposal, seen in this thread and the subject of the "Solution to..." thread, also fails to an equalized 3-placement version, depending on how it's constructed. That makes two such designs. Both proposals have significant objections (meaning there's still plenty of room for new ideas). Both separate the equalization function from the limiting function. You could refer to Richard's design as a "series" solution and mine as a "parallel" solution.

In reply to:
What about friction at the anchor biners where the cord makes a U turn? For anchor designs relying on this U turn to achieve load redistribution, wouldn´t the use of bigger radius anodized biners reduce friction significantly thus improving the overall load redistribution capabilities?
You are correct, Charles, however, having a load strand terminate in a clove hitch means infinite friction there, not zero. I don't think these designs rely on slip around the anchor biners so much as they exploit it. I'd hazard a guess that having more opportunities for any rope slip self-adjustment would be a good (but far from the most important) thing.
In reply to:
There's never been a problem that could be solved with a slingshot for which someone won't propose a nuclear solution.
http://i1.tinypic.com/rumwb9.jpg
But seriously, we're looking at anchor solutions ranging from those with no self-equalization, such as the 1-knot cordelette, to perhaps those made with pulleys. We do seem to sense that reducing friction in an anchor's equalizing components is good, mainly because John Long seems to say that the equalette is better at equalizing than the sliding-X (which he says gets within 10%). Is it worth going to the troublette (and why not, since it's simpler and reduces sliding friction)? Is there a compelling reason to adopt the equalette? Is the sliding-X totally out of the question? Absent tests that simulate actual fall forces, we just don't know.

knudenoggin

Mar 20, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #739 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
healyje asked what I meant when I referred to "the obvious 4-placement solution made with three 2-anchor equalelettes." In the spirit of good clean fun and didactic utility I thought I'd post an illustration of an "obvious" 4-placement solution, with a few comments.
Somehow the ELET is the Rodney Dangerfield in this thread, and although
you are touching exactly this item you go to the trouble of "Troublette"?
--forgetting that it is the cordelette & 'ette'ness that we're working to replace!?
--and that, as you explain, this 4-point structure really isN'T much trouble!?
What we have both presented is a cordage (tape/rope) structure that is expressly
designed to (1) equalize and (2) limit extension, and happens to be
(3) generally triangular in shape--viz., thus:
"Extension-Limiting Equalization Triangle (ELET)" !
("ELET, not "ette")

The obvious solution I will repeat (again):

http://tinypic.com/rldjb7.jpg

* The design is shown withOUT sliding-Xs equalizing pairs of placements,
as 2-anchor ELETs. The tape used for the sliding part for each half is tape folded
dogbone-like, the twin cord tied from one tape-end across to other
(and the simple Becket hitch isn't the only way to do this). The tape for the
master point ELET is either tied as shown (and so single-strand) or clove-hitched
to the 'biners; this piece could be replicated for redundancy or greater strength.
* This proposal uses three HMPE webbing runners for the ELETs and two paired
(twin) 6-7mm cords tied to the anchors. (--instead of one long accessory cord,
which is less flexible for other uses)
* In this design the upper strands each support 1/8 of the load, or half that
of some other design proposals, such as mhabicht's, in which the upper strands
support 1/4 of the load (unless there's a failure, in which case one strand will
there (m's) would support 50% of load).
* This general design implemented with 3 HMPE slings would appear to have
the least sliding friction of any 4-placement anchor.
* This compound ELET structure, esp. when adapted pre-tied (how much
variance in angles will there bit?), has a good KISS factor.
* 4-placement designs might have been rarely used in practice, but perhaps
there is now seen reason to use them. Even if adapted to 3 anchors, the
structure can at least be seen to give good 50-25/25 distribution.

*kN*

papounet

Mar 20, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #740 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:

So far, the proposed anchor designs using 4 placements to achieve uniform load distribution are relying on unbalanced load distribution subsets to handle failure scenarios (RGold’s Chopolette being the only exception), ie, when a 4 pieces Mhabicht or Equalette suffers a placement collapse, the resulting configuration will only provide uneven load distribution. So in the end, if you adopt these designs you are implicitly settling for a 25% - 50% - 25% distribution.

The 4 way sliding X of Rgold can be advantageously replaced by the pulley-like equalizer.
I posted earlier how to build one with one biner, 3 rap ring and a sling
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...opic_view=&start=600

the difficulty is the huge friction to overcome.

the 4 pieces design: equalette, mhabitch, papounette, dual Elets,... are in fact staged sliding X model, a main sliding balancing 2 sets , each one balancing 2 pieces

So in choosing a 4 pieces Mhabicht, I am "accpeting a 25% - 50% - 25% distribution in case of failure.

papounet

Mar 20, 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #741 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:

So far, the proposed anchor designs using 4 placements to achieve uniform load distribution are relying on unbalanced load distribution subsets to handle failure scenarios (RGold’s Chopolette being the only exception), ie, when a 4 pieces Mhabicht or Equalette suffers a placement collapse, the resulting configuration will only provide uneven load distribution. So in the end, if you adopt these designs you are implicitly settling for a 25% - 50% - 25% distribution..

The 4 ways sliding biner of rgold chopolette is outdone by a pulley device such as tge one I build in

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...opic_view=&start=600

http://img301.imageshack.us/...10/pulley34lp.th.jpg

But the friction is still bad.

this is why all other 4 peices design focus on 2-stages balancing:
a main sliding mechanism balancing 2 sets balancing 2 pros

healyje

Mar 20, 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #742 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Normalizing to the sliding friction of the sliding-X, I measured the sliding friction of the equalette to be about half that. The sliding friction of the troublette measured about half that of the equalette (1/4 that of the sliding-X), which is what you'd expect just by looking at their designs.

Yes, but you're on a single biner , the other two are either one biner across two x'd strands or two biners on two strands and there is no way to do that without some additional friction - it's a matter of the benefits received in exchange for the friction. I personally prefer a two biner solutions and believe the resulting friction to be well within acceptable levels for both body weight and the moment of peak loading.

In reply to:
I thought we were spending all this time trying to do better. What objective metric would you propose to gauge "well enough"? Or would your metric be subjective?

I'd propose John's crew's and your test results and say they both represent "well enough". Also, the whole 3 point thing with a "4 point rig" is a bit of a red herring as well. You can just pick the best of the 3 points and throw two strands on it and call it good.

In reply to:
But seriously, we're looking at anchor solutions ranging from those with no self-equalization, such as the 1-knot cordelette, to perhaps those made with pulleys. We do seem to sense that reducing friction in an anchor's equalizing components is good, mainly because John Long seems to say that the equalette is better at equalizing than the sliding-X (which he says gets within 10%). Is it worth going to the troublette (and why not, since it's simpler and reduces sliding friction)? Is there a compelling reason to adopt the equalette? Is the sliding-X totally out of the question? Absent tests that simulate actual fall forces, we just don't know.

Again, your tests and John's would appear to show that the sliding-X, equalette, and a troublette all create friction within acceptable levels for our purposes in building anchors. I just happen to prefer the equalette and mhabicht's designs to yours, papounet's, and knudenoggin's. Remember, we're not after perfect equalization, no friction, and no extension - we're after designs the represent acceptable compromises in exchange for for options that provide versatile and best-under-the-circumstance anchors.

tradmanclimbs

Mar 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #743 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey! I am just bummed that the easy, simple, multi use cordelette that largo sold us on a decade or so ago has now been declared no good (BY LARGO) and most of the crap i have seen in the last 2 pages looks complicated, heavy and specilized. the beauty of a cordelette is that you can use it for so many different things. I am going to keep my cordelette and utilize the climbing rope more in my anchors. keep it simple. If you guys come up with something, LIGHT, SIMPLE and EASY let us know!!! Untill then you tech heads may have fun but i am going climbing 8^) PS. How many cordelette anchors have failed in actual climbing situations in the last decade??

tradmanclimbs

Mar 20, 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #744 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heres one for J.E. How about developeing a super dynamic 7mm cord for anchoring?? then we could keep it simple and the cord itself would streach and the old cordelet system would self equalize?

healyje

Mar 20, 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #745 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tradman,

Hate to be another voice in the choir, but you really need to go back to page one and start there. Topics like elongation are all there and many, many other designs. You definitely shouldn't judge this discussion solely on the basis of the posts that occured in the 40's. It's a good discussion even though it runs into some bumps later in the thread. Do yourself and us a favor and read it so you get the goods and we don't have to suffer through repeating it...

jakedatc

Mar 20, 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #746 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad here is the one i like best and i bet you'd find simple enough AND can be done in gloves
http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/...6299DuoGlide_008.jpg

has anyone brought up any issues with this? seems pretty kickass to me

healyje

Mar 20, 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #747 of 915 (121109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jake, that was mine and it's just a non-commercial version of Trango's AE and subject to all the same comments as it is...

papounet

Mar 21, 2006, 1:23 AM
Post #748 of 915 (121072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jake, that was mine and it's just a non-commercial version of Trango's AE and subject to all the same comments as it is...

I absolutely love it.

And yet I have found that it does not perform better than an asymetric 3 ways sliding X such as

http://img240.imageshack.us/...94/triple52wh.th.jpg

It uses more rope, one biner more and is bulkier
the plus side, it is totally presetup, there is nor risk of loosing one biner as in the asymetric 3-way sliding X.

If one agrees to use as many biners then the pulley device is more compact
http://img301.imageshack.us/...10/pulley23ei.th.jpg

healyje

Mar 21, 2006, 1:30 AM
Post #749 of 915 (121072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

papounet,

Well, it doesn't work any worse either. Also, I prefer using it with a single top biner, not two. And besides, it's prettier than the first of yours and simpler than the second.

papounet

Mar 21, 2006, 1:48 AM
Post #750 of 915 (121088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just happen to prefer the equalette and mhabicht's designs to yours, papounet's, and knudenoggin's. Remember, we're not after perfect equalization, no friction, and no extension - we're after designs the represent acceptable compromises in exchange for for options that provide versatile and best-under-the-circumstance anchors.

dear,

Iwas so impressed by mhabicht's design that I crosspposted it here and put aside my own earlier attempt, the spider at the bottom of http://www.rockclimbing.com/...pic_view=&start=600]
http://img227.imageshack.us/...86/spider10ex.th.jpg

I have analyzed again the equalette and its variants (of which the mhabitch and the papounette ( :lol: )).
The fundamental equalette is basically a serie of 3 loops.
It is easy to set one up using sewn slings girth-hitched together
(center and end 1 are 60 cm slings, end2 is a 120cm sling on purpose)

http://img358.imageshack.us/...521/sling13pq.th.jpg

one can use a sling-equalette in equalette, mhabitch or papounette mode
meaning the 2 branch of the end loops can be hitched to the pro, or set to equalize with a biner with a limit or without limits.

originally I was unhappy with both the equalette and the mhabitch designs with their reliance on single strand, hence the papounette (or full equalizer). (hence also my attempt with loop of sewn material)

I had another concerns with the mhabitch wich is the maximum length of the arms = half the available length, because the loop is doubled back to the biner to provide the backup.

whereas in the earlier spider design, there is a reserve of material which is used to create the sliding "box". As the this area is prepared once and for all between 2 inline fig 8, hte full length of the loop can be used for connecting to the pro
http://img391.imageshack.us/...spiderloop9an.th.jpg

this works for 2 or 4
http://img137.imageshack.us/.../spideruqadro0vn.jpg

this works for 3
http://img137.imageshack.us/.../spidertriple4os.jpg

This means that this setup has nearly as much reach as an equalette (because there is no need to double back teh loop to the mhabitch's biners)
and yet that it provides the load balancing of the mhabitch design.
(but is it still single strand)
(and the center shelf is no longer doubled independantly

First page Previous page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 37 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook