Forums: Climbing Information: The Lab:
Improved sliding x: Is it really safer?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 Next page Last page  View All

charlesjmm

Mar 22, 2006, 4:48 PM
Post #801 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Re: Improved sliding x: Is it really safer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For those folks who are still skeptical about the Equalette and its variants (Mhabitch, Glowering, Papounet, CharlesJMM, etc.) arguing excessive complexity, exotic knots, questionable knot stability, complicated rigging procedures, unacceptable rigging time, too much gear, etc., I present to you an enticing offer:

- Start by placing 4 overhand knots in the middle of the cordelette, clip 2 biners around the top overhands.
http://i49.photobucket.com/...sjmm/MHVarOver04.jpg426x568 - 75 K

- Make two cordelette type loops and clip them at the biners.
http://i49.photobucket.com/...sjmm/MHVarOver05.jpg426x568 - 75 K

- If necessary, apply limiter knots to each leg. Verify that the slack cord limits extension adequately.

http://i49.photobucket.com/...sjmm/MHVarOver02.jpg426x568 - 91 K

and you are ready to go......it cannot get any easier......you´ll have to embrace the 25/50/25 equalization, though......

You could argue that the upper overhands are unnecessary as you could clip the biners directly to the lower overhands; true, but this setup provides a much easier means of adjusting the limiter knots on the anchor legs.

If you question clipping the biners on the overhand knots, consider that this is the standard way of limiting extension in the sliding X.

Cost :
1 cordelette, 2 biners (preferably locking biners), 4 overhand knots (more depending on anchors arrangement), standard rigging skills.

justthemaid

Mar 22, 2006, 5:28 PM
Post #802 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charles-I like this one better than your previous one (it was just a tad too fussy).

I'm still liking this "clipping under the overhand knot "better than the inline eights. It's just cleaner,and less bulky, and takes up less cord.

I think I still like Mike's rig better, but I'll play with yours some more.

(Wow that sounded bad) :D

dingus

Mar 22, 2006, 5:46 PM
Post #803 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been away from this thread for 20 or more pages, but omg! A glance at a few of the photos left me shaking my head. Surely you good folks see that adding in this sort of complexity dramatically increases the opportunity for error, perhaps catastrophic error?

Throw in a cramped belay alcove and a tired leader and all these knots and shit, with pieces not neatly arranged on ceiling rafters... these ideas seem incredibly unweildy to me.

Its like inventing all sorts of 5 - 1 ratchet hauling techniques to raise a stuffed pig off an anchor when if you'd just packed the damned thing lighter to begin with all that technical virtuosity would be unnecessary (and time consuming).

KISS.

If it isn't KISS, it will eventually get someone killed.

DMT

glowering

Mar 22, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #804 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charles, that's another good option for the middle knots. I'll have to play with all the options and see what I like the best:
*Just one overhand, simplest, least cord, but you clip into the shelf "upside down" and the biner hangs loose
*Two overhands like you just proposed, simple, should negate fears, easy to adjust, but uses more cord, puts powerpoint lower, and the biner hangs loose
*bowline on a bight / double figure 8, clean/strong (I didn't fully follow the previous discussions on these options was there a problem with them?), but more exotic knots, biner hangs loose, hard to adjust
*figure 8 in the butt, simple, uses little cord, easy to adjust, but an unproven knot

If you haven't tried it yet, simply tie the limiter knots only in the two middle strands and it will equalize 33/33/33.

Dingus, perhaps all these ideas are best left for experienced climbers. Simpler options such as a combination of slings would probably be best for them (two pieces equalized with 3rd piece as back up is sufficient for most climbs they'll be on). It's like when the old figure8 vs. double bowline or other tie in knot discussion comes up (again and again :wink: ). Yes the figure 8 has it's advantages (easy to inspect, hard to screw up) but that doesn't mean I am going to give up a knot I like a lot better. But also multipitch trad lead climbing is not KISS. If someone can learn all that's involved in safely leading trad, they should be able to learn to rig an anchor correctly in a variety of ways.

I highly value your opinion so please take a look at this one (instructions on page 50). Try it in a variety of placements.
http://img206.imageshack.us/...6/9585/3piece4mi.jpg

healyje

Mar 22, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #805 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charles,

So could you talk a bit more on why the four overhands? I guess if I were going the clipped overhand route I'd just go with a single pair of overhands and maybe even just clip through them versus around. I agree the inline-8 is bulky, though I need to try it on 5.5mm., but it probably it the "proper" knot for the job.

As for equalization and extension we've already discussed our differing predilictions there and that I just think mhabicht's top-cloving / bottom equalizing is way superior for the extension control on each individual point it provides. It's also just as fast and the biners don't really need to be lockers.

tradklime

Mar 22, 2006, 6:25 PM
Post #806 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been away from this thread for 20 or more pages, but omg! A glance at a few of the photos left me shaking my head. Surely you good folks see that adding in this sort of complexity dramatically increases the opportunity for error, perhaps catastrophic error?

Dingus, that argument is soooooo 15 pages ago.

Regardless, you have a point. Most experienced climbers shouldn't find themselves befuddled with the anchor designs in this thread, but many will forgo them for other more efficient options. That said, many of the more complex designs really can serve a purpose when rigging an anchor with sketch gear; however 99% of the time, true equalization across 4 pieces is not necessary.

I do think that JL's original "equalette" design is only marginally more complicated than a standard cordelette anchor, and probably equally efficient. Further, it is a world ahead in terms of performance.

Most of the discussion is purely academic, but still somewhat interesting and enlightening. I hope that people are taking it for what it's worth, no more, no less.

glowering

Mar 22, 2006, 6:29 PM
Post #807 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a diagram of why I think the AstroGlide is 33/33/33.

It's an approximation, it's really 33+1/3%, neglects friction, etc. but it should give the general idea.

http://img70.imageshack.us/...33/3piecediag6xk.jpg

dingus

Mar 22, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #808 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dingus, perhaps all these ideas are best left for experienced climbers.

Perhaps they are, but three comments: the experienced partners I climb with tend to stick to tried and true methods when the chips are down. And KISS is most assuredly the backbone of their climbing protection techniques. And lastly, one of the reasons the cordelette gained in popularity is that it is very KISS, easy to teach, easy to critique and easy to spot check.

In reply to:
Simpler options such as a combination of slings would probably be best for them (two pieces equalized with 3rd piece as back up is sufficient for most climbs they'll be on).

Simplier methods HAVE sufficed for the vast majority of climbs I've been on.

In reply to:
It's like when the old figure8 vs. double bowline or other tie in knot discussion comes up (again and again :wink: ).

With all due respect, white boarding new anchor configurations and then taking it to the field is vastly different than arguing the merits of two knots that have been with us since the days of sailing ships.

In reply to:
But also multipitch trad lead climbing is not KISS.
Man, I don't agree with that sentiment at all.

In reply to:
If someone can learn all that's involved in safely leading trad, they should be able to learn to rig an anchor correctly in a variety of ways.

Learning is one thing, doing in adverse conditions is another.

In reply to:
I highly value your opinion so please take a look at this one (instructions on page 50). Try it in a variety of placements.

http://img206.imageshack.us/...6/9585/3piece4mi.jpg

I will respectfully decline, for strictly personal reasons. I never joined the cordelette jihad to begin with, don't like toting them and I certainly don't want them to be longer. My solution to the cordelette problem is to eliminate it as much as possible (still like it for big wall belays though).

I know I'm a stick in the mud and my cautions are falling on unsympathetic ears. S'okay. I just offer you this:

You just led p12, set your belay and brought your partner up. She leads on through, but its clear she's fried. Its getting late and in fact gets dark as she finishes her lead, the last of the climb. She's really tired, told you numerous times. Now she's up there rigging a belay in the dark.

In that situation do you believe your safety will be better served by a perfectly equalized, non-extending anchor system or by a KISS anchor?

I think all these fancy schmancy anchor schemes are fine for classroom discussions actually, and for anchor books. And for experimentation.

But like Fasulo's self rescue manual... very quickly it becomes 'you can call me ray or you can call me jay or you can call me bob or you can call me billy bob...'

A simple prussik knot gets the job done in 97% of the cases he suggests some other knot as superior. Ditto these elaborate anchor schemes... sure you could apply them to every anchor, however needless that may be. Time will be consumed, perhaps a lot of time. But when the chips are down and its cold and dark and snowing my bet is you would avoid such anchors like the plague and revert to KISS yourself.

I prefer to keep it that way from the start.

As to my opinion, I have nearly killed myself several times pursuing this sport and have received considerable personal injury as a result. Never forget that!

DMT

glowering

Mar 22, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #809 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="dingus"]
In reply to:
In reply to:
But also multipitch trad lead climbing is not KISS.
Man, I don't agree with that sentiment at all.

I think you've forgotten what it's like to learn. Placing and judging, nuts, cams, hexes, fixed gear, calculating what will happen if you fall. Setting anchors, self-rescue. There's a reason why there are many books, and courses on the subject. And tons of questions posted here all the time.

In reply to:
You just led p12, set your belay and brought your partner up. She leads on through, but its clear she's fried. Its getting late and in fact gets dark as she finishes her lead, the last of the climb. She's really tired, told you numerous times. Now she's up there rigging a belay in the dark.

In that situation do you believe your safety will be better served by a perfectly equalized, non-extending anchor system or by a KISS anchor?

If she was used to my new anchor I'd prefer it. Once you are used to it, it is probably faster and safer than the alternatives. Then we'd have time for a quicky on the top.

fingertrouble

Mar 22, 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #810 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro on page 48 I introduced the term "troublette" in a discussion of measurements I made on sliding friction. I used an illustration from my book, which was published a little over a year ago. I didn't/don't claim it's an original design and I'm aware that the configuration has appeared in this thread. It just needs a name for purposes of discussion.

As far as your anchor proposal goes, there are several objections; here are a few:
1) In the 3-placement version, it's Yet Another Anchor Design That Doesn't Equalize (TM); it's a 25%-50%-25% design if I understand your photo
2) It's limited to certail placement locations because of the way it uses runners.
3) It uses knots in Spectra/Dyneema webbing--that's a no-no.
4) Your master point structure amounts to a cumbersome equalette and suffers the same central problem as a knot-limited equalette (or sliding-X): unequal loading unless the supporting strands are exactly equal.
5) You should be skiing on tele gear, or at least AT.

glowering you are correct that I was objecting to your most recently posted photo. I don't understand why you'd post Yet Another Anchor Design That Doesn't Equalize (TM) when your Astro-Glide (a somewhat moving target you must admit) is superior.

After glowering's recent posts suggesting universal limiter knot recipes, it should be made clear that limiter knot locations must be contextual. The amount of equalization they allow needs to relate to the conditions that will impact each specific anchor construction; it's not a 1 size fits all situation. For example, consider the multi-placement anchor that is what I call in my book "Anchor #1" and what John intends to call the "Jesus Nut," the most critical anchor in the roped safety system. The forces on the master point come from the direction of the rope to the belayer and the rope to the climber; generally about 3/8 of the total force from the belayer and 5/8 from the climber. Angles could be very different for a traversing lead compared to a lead straight up a crack, and could change. Extension must accommodate change in direction of applied forces as well as slip and stretch for a single given direction of forces (the sides of glowering's Astro-Glide design will stretch much more than the lengths to the center placement, for example). The amount of extension allowed at the master point must be greater than allowed at any placement, lest the load come on a master limiter knot prematurely (in the event of a placement failure) and leave an otherwise good placement unloaded. If it were possible, as you suggest, to pre-tie the master point limiting configuration, why not just use a Spectra/Dyneema runner and be done with it? That was part of rgold's proposals.

Your sloppy sliding-X is no solution at all; IMHO it's dangerous. The master biner mightn't be stopped by a limiter knot. Depending on the amount of slop in the longer strand, the limiter knot could pull through the master biner and drag a carabiner with it. Worse, it might drag part way through. Don't "try it;" you could get unlucky.

This to solve a problem that seems not to exit. You might object that the troublette configuration is "not redundant" and ignore John Long's assurance that strands in anchors never break, but at the same time you don't want to be bothered with redundant master carabiners (or rope?). Seems inconsistent, but anyhow the troublette can be made backed-up by adding a carabiner or runner between the master carabiner and the otherwise unused strand, or even clipping another unloaded carabiner to the rope.

Since your upper design is clever and actually equalizes 3 placements (anyone who doesn't see this should observe that glowering's design basically comprises two classic 3:1 z-pulleys equalized together), if you clean up the master point configuration charlesjmm should add your design to his short list of 3-placement solutions that actually work.

Why is so much effort being spent on 4-placement designs?

I'd rather climb with Dingus.

Craig

dingus

Mar 22, 2006, 8:13 PM
Post #811 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think you've forgotten what it's like to learn. Placing and judging, nuts, cams, hexes, fixed gear, calculating what will happen if you fall. Setting anchors, self-rescue. There's a reason why there are many books, and courses on the subject. And tons of questions posted here all the time.

I agree its a complex subject. I still submit that KISS should be a fundamental principle. I don't believe the complexity of the task eliminates the possibility or need for simplicity. Consider a space walk... despite a myriad of challenges the engineers work very hard to keep the astronauts task simple and straight to the point. But your counter point is well taken.

In reply to:
If she was used to my new anchor I'd prefer it. Once you are used to it, it is probably faster and safer than the alternatives. Then we'd have time for a quicky on the top.

After a 13 pitch climb? Ew! That could get real crunchy if she has any sand in her shorts.

DMT

glowering

Mar 22, 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #812 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
glowering you are correct that I was objecting to your most recently posted photo. I don't understand why you'd post Yet Another Anchor Design That Doesn't Equalize (TM) when your Astro-Glide (a somewhat moving target you must admit) is superior.

I was posting it because Charles had posted basically the same design I had been showing in my last couple rigs. So I was alluding to the fact that ideas can influence yours without you realizing it (my own earlier idea I forgot influenced a later idea), sorry if that wasn't clear. Not sure what you mean by moving target?

In reply to:
After glowering's recent posts suggesting universal limiter knot recipes

(the sides of glowering's Astro-Glide design will stretch much more than the lengths to the center placement, for example). The amount of extension allowed at the master point must be greater than allowed at any placement, lest the load come on a master limiter knot prematurely (in the event of a placement failure) and leave an otherwise good placement unloaded. If it were possible, as you suggest, to pre-tie the master point limiting configuration, why not just use a Spectra/Dyneema runner and be done with it? That was part of rgold's proposals.

Good points. I don't think universal limiter knots are good, that's a reason I like the AstroGlide and Mike's Duoglide (can we just call it the duo-glide if Largo isn't going to use that name for the euqalette and it's so similar in configuration?) You will tie the limiter knots for the outer arms each time and can dial them in where you want them fast and easy. When I was trying out the AstroGlide in a variety of placement positions with the limiter knots for the master point at the bottom pretied, those knots seemed to not need adjustment (as long as the offset side was put on the correct side to begin with) for any variety of placements that were in an acceptable range of angles (i.e. not exceeding angles that would amplify force on the anchor pieces).

In reply to:
Your sloppy sliding-X is no solution at all; IMHO it's dangerous. The master biner mightn't be stopped by a limiter knot. Depending on the amount of slop in the longer strand, the limiter knot could pull through the master biner and drag a carabiner with it. Worse, it might drag part way through. Don't "try it;" you could get unlucky.

You would have to tie the loose strand very long for that to happen, I state to tie it "just a little loose", less slack than the picture I show which was exaggerated for effect (and it still wouldn't happen). You bring up a good point though. These designs should be checked for this. e.g. if you tied the troublette with one strand longer than the other this could happen as well.

In reply to:
This to solve a problem that seems not to exit. You might object that the troublette configuration is "not redundant" and ignore John Long's assurance that strands in anchors never break, but at the same time you don't want to be bothered with redundant master carabiners (or rope?). Seems inconsistent, but anyhow the troublette can be made backed-up by adding a carabiner or runner between the master carabiner and the otherwise unused strand, or even clipping another unloaded carabiner to the rope.

You shouldn't bring John Long's name up to support a proposal that he might not agree with. You seem to be the only one who thinks redundancy is not needed in an anchor. Say you drop your gear behind your car after a long day and someone's car had dropped battery acid there, say there's a manufacturing defect or spectra degraded from many bend cycles, say rubbing on a rock edge or something in your gear bag cut or that one-strand you are trusting your life on. The master biner is metal, it's not subject to corrosive agents, cutting, or age related issues like slings. The climbing rope core is comprised of many individual strands and is retired more often. Putting a runner from the master caribiner to the unused strand is a very bad idea. You could add another biner at the expense of extra weight and hassle.

People keep pointing out that with bomber placements you don't need a fancy equalizing/limited extending rig. And that's probably true 99.999% of the time. But maybe those two "bomber" bolts that have just been replaced by someone who overtorqued them are ready to sheer. I like to have the odds stacked in my favor as much as possible. We all have our own ideas about what is acceptable, and that's perfectly fine. No one is forcing anyone to do anything, just more tools in the box.

roy_hinkley_jr

Mar 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #813 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You seem to be the only one who thinks redundancy is not needed in an anchor. Say you drop your gear behind your car after a long day and someone's car had dropped battery acid there, say there's a manufacturing defect or spectra degraded from many bend cycles, say rubbing on a rock edge or something in your gear bag cut or that one-strand you are trusting your life on. The master biner is metal, it's not subject to corrosive agents, cutting, or age related issues like slings.

Sweet Flying Spaghetti Monster you are paranoid! It's a wonder you get up any climbs. I'd be more worried about microfractures in the carabiner than any of that stuff.

glowering

Mar 22, 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #814 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn straight I'm paranoid, it's kept me alive through MANY crazy adventures. :lol:

How about this one. I bought 5.5mm spectra cord for my cordelette at REI. (closest place to get it). I get home and check it out. Luckily I know what it looks like, turned out to be the regular shit, ~1000 pound strength instead of ~4000 pound. I go back to REI and tell them to put that spool in the right place before they kill soemone. Who knows how much they sold incorrectly...

hugepedro

Mar 22, 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #815 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These anchors are getting beyond ridiculous. Dingus is right. It's not that they are too complex for me to rig, it's that they are unnecessarily complex for the job. There is simply no reason introduce all this clusterf-ckedness.

In reply to:
As far as your anchor proposal goes, there are several objections; here are a few:
1) In the 3-placement version, it's Yet Another Anchor Design That Doesn't Equalize (TM); it's a 25%-50%-25% design if I understand your photo
Yes, and I say, so what? This worry over 25-50-25 is silly. If you have 3 solid pieces it doesn't matter. If you don't have 3 solid pieces, then you should add a 4th anyway, and you get 25-25-25-25. If you just can't add a 4th, then use any other method for equalizing 3 pieces (if that's what you determine is appropriate for the situation) and take other measures to protect the belay. But all these rigs, including mine, that do 25-50-25, will work in 90% of all anchoring situations. I say all this silly concern over 25-50-25 is trumping KISS in pretty much all the anchors being proposed, and I also say that worrying about such ridiculousness over other priorities, such as speed and simplicity, is a mistake - possibly a fatal mistake.

In reply to:
2) It's limited to certail placement locations because of the way it uses runners.
No it isn't. Certainly no more so than any of the other rigs in this thread. The difference with mine is there is no tying/retying of knots necessary. Add a sling or draw here or there if it won't rig your placements as is.

In reply to:
3) It uses knots in Spectra/Dyneema webbing--that's a no-no.
No. Not understaning your gear and it's capabilities/limitations is a no-no. Even with the knots this rig is over-engineered for any force it might sustain.

In reply to:
4) Your master point structure amounts to a cumbersome equalette and suffers the same central problem as a knot-limited equalette (or sliding-X): unequal loading unless the supporting strands are exactly equal.
My master point is 2 "troublettes". You'll have to explain why this is cumbersome or similar to a knot-limited equalette, because I say you're wrong.

In reply to:
5) You should be skiing on tele gear, or at least AT.
Ha ha! Those are my old skis. Regardless, tele is for posers and pussies who can't ski fast.

charlesjmm

Mar 23, 2006, 3:01 AM
Post #816 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here's a diagram of why I think the AstroGlide is 33/33/33.

It's an approximation, it's really 33+1/3%, neglects friction, etc. but it should give the general idea.

http://img70.imageshack.us/...33/3piecediag6xk.jpg

Steve I bow to you. Congratulations, you have struck gold with the Astroglide as a solution achieving true equalization for 3 point anchors. The logic behind it is so simple yet elusive. Funny that an additional overhand knot on the larger leg will freeze the 3:1 pulley and convert the Astroglide into my design, but I never realized the pulley was the key to this treasure. It could even be adopted as the solution for 4 point anchors providing a 1/3 – 1/6 – 1/6 – 1/3 load distribution, a very appealing offer if you only want to learn one novel design.

It’s been an enlightening and fun journey. My neurons can go to rest now, thank you.

CharlesJMM

healyje

Mar 23, 2006, 3:08 AM
Post #817 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is where I'm unfortunately over my head, and now I'm drilled the other way. Are you guys sure it isn't still 25/50/25 - looks that same and I don't get how the knot changes that...

charlesjmm

Mar 23, 2006, 3:22 AM
Post #818 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Charles,

So could you talk a bit more on why the four overhands? I guess if I were going the clipped overhand route I'd just go with a single pair of overhands and maybe even just clip through them versus around. I agree the inline-8 is bulky, though I need to try it on 5.5mm., but it probably it the "proper" knot for the job.

As for equalization and extension we've already discussed our differing predilictions there and that I just think mhabicht's top-cloving / bottom equalizing is way superior for the extension control on each individual point it provides. It's also just as fast and the biners don't really need to be lockers.

Healyje, the main intention of that post was to suggest the simplest rigging procedure I could think of to help the novel Equalette based designs gain broader acceptance. During this search, I found the additional overhands made calibrating the whole structure significantly easier (at least for me); but you are right, they are indeed superfluous.

charlesjmm

Mar 23, 2006, 4:46 AM
Post #819 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is where I'm unfortunately over my head, and now I'm drilled the other way. Are you guys sure it isn't still 25/50/25 - looks that same and I don't get how the knot changes that...

Healyje, this is how I see it :

http://i49.photobucket.com/...mm/AstroGlideCap.jpg720x540 - 49 K

The magic of the AstroGlide rests in the 3:1 pulley residing amid each pair of placements (indicated in blue). This pulley is created when you apply the limiter knot on the short leg of a pair of placements and thus converting it to single line while at the same time serving as the extension limiting gauge. If you pull on this single line, you’ll perceive the pulley at work.

A 3:1 pulley reduces the force required to move a load L by 1/3, therefore, the force required to pull an L/2 force is L/6. So, by virtue of the 3:1 pulley, placements B and C will only perceive L/6 of the load at the master point. If you place these two legs on the same placement, as in a 3 point anchor, the load transmitted to that placement would be L/6 + L/6 = L/3. Finally, since the strands that make the pulley bear L/6 of the load generated at the master point, the pulley effect dictates that placements A and D bear L/3 of such load. Therefore, in a 3 point anchor, a force of L generated at the master point will reach the placements in a 1/3 – 1/3 – 1/3 distribution. Don´t forget friction at the pulleys will distort this result somehow. The efficiency of a pulley is mainly governed by the friction at the tractor point, so maybe it is a good idea to place bigger radius anodized biners at the limiter knots that make the master point as well as on the anchor pieces!!!! I know I will. Ingenious design or what?

glowering

Mar 23, 2006, 4:53 AM
Post #820 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charles,

Thank you for your very kind words.

I should point out that on the picture you posted of the AstroGlide at the end of the previous page the overhand limiter knots should be closer to the middle biners. That controls the extension if the middle piece fails.

I got more and more jazzed about the AstroGlide the more I tried it. It was able to take every variety of 3 placement anchor positions I could throw at it with no problems.

When you leave it partially pre-rigged like I showed on pg. 50, it is very fast to setup (30 seconds), and probably difficult to screw up IMO once you've got it down. The partail pre-rig can also be used for; 4 pieces as an equalette, an mhabicht glider, with overhand limiter knots in all 4 arms for equal loading, or with 2 limiter knots with unequal loading. I would probably use the mhabicht due to the equal loading and ease of adjusting all 4 cloves.

I think the only faster options for 3 pieces would be to figure 8 the rope to a bomber piece and back it up with two cloved pieces, or the static tied cordelette.

To clarify the name: Astroman + Duoglide =

http://www.condoms.co.uk/...uk_astroglide-la.jpg

healyje

Mar 23, 2006, 5:01 AM
Post #821 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I'll reduce what was in the post to thanks for explaining that the pulley equalizes the three strands within a side.

charlesjmm

Mar 23, 2006, 6:23 AM
Post #822 of 915 (116952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess I'll reduce what was in the post to thanks for explaining that the pulley equalizes the three strands within a side.

Perhaps this will clarify what’s occurring on each side of the AstroGlide. View the 3:1 pulley as a magic mechanism that equalizes the force by internally distributing duties amongst the cord and the biners but where the biners do most of the work, therefore the effort on the cord is reduced substantially.

http://i49.photobucket.com/...ZPulleyExplained.jpg

CharlesJMM

Edited to describe more accurately the effect of the pulley.

charlesjmm

Mar 23, 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #823 of 915 (116980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I´m working on the idea of improving AstroGlide´s mechanical advantage from 3:1 to 5:1 to see if something useful can be achieved.

CharlesJMM

charlesjmm

Mar 23, 2006, 2:11 PM
Post #824 of 915 (116980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well folks, by increasing AstroGlide´s mechanical advantage from 3:1 to 5:1 the following is obtained :

Three points 3:1 yields a 33% – 33% – 33% distribution
Three points 5:1 yields a 40% – 20% – 40% distribution

Four points 3:1 yields a 33% - 17% - 17% - 33% distribution
Four points 5:1 yields a 40% - 10% - 10% - 40% distribution

This means that using a 5:1 AstroGlide enables you to significantly reduce the load exerted on chosen anchors (maybe the super sketchy ones). You can even have an AstroGlide with a 3:1 side and a 5:1 side to reduce the load on a specific anchor to the bare minimum......

This is how to achieve a 5:1 AstroGlide with an additional sling and biner :

http://i49.photobucket.com/...mm/AstroGlide5-1.jpg

So, which flavor of AstroGlide suits your fancy? AstroGlide 3:1 or for an additional penny (sling + biner) you can get an AstroGlide 5:1 ? :D

CharlesJMM

justthemaid

Mar 23, 2006, 2:50 PM
Post #825 of 915 (117270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry guys- (Just my personal opinion but...) The astroglide is a creative solution, but it simply fails when I put it through my own personal KISS test.

I wouldn't use it in real life, but it is interesting.

First page Previous page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook