Forums: Climbing Information: The Lab:
Improved sliding x: Is it really safer?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 Next page Last page  View All

charlesjmm

Apr 25, 2006, 7:22 AM
Post #876 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Re: Improved sliding x: Is it really safer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jim, an important precaution : please make sure the backup loop is set to the proper length, otherwise, you risk introducing an unpredictable biner-biner clash in a failure scenario.

adnix

Apr 25, 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #877 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't you guys fix some easy-to-use knot/device for Sliding X? Something similar to quicklocks in Petzl harness. It shouldn't be too hard if you put some hours into it.

charlesjmm

Apr 25, 2006, 1:23 PM
Post #878 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adnix, just take a look at the "No solution to...." thread.

adnix

Apr 25, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #879 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Adnix, just take a look at the "No solution to...." thread.
Bah, you didn't get my point. I would really like to see something that replaces water knots for limiting shock with sliding x. Heck... If you desing the small gadget properly you could skip the sliding x design, use the metal plate with any sling and forget the hard-to-untie waterknots for good. It would be the perfect tool for any rigging.

In practice I very seldom use any knots with slings since they are bitch to untie and they rack very bad if not untied. Especially if you fall on the knot the only solution for opening is a knife.

jimdavis

Apr 25, 2006, 9:51 PM
Post #880 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jim, an important precaution : please make sure the backup loop is set to the proper length, otherwise, you risk introducing an unpredictable biner-biner clash in a failure scenario.

I'm not sure what your refering to...do you have a picture? or what is it about the backup strand length thats the issue?

Thanks,
Jim

charlesjmm

Apr 26, 2006, 1:21 AM
Post #881 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jim, I’m referring to the length of the backup loop relative to the main strand. For illustration purposes, the pictured anchor is set up with an excessively long backup loop. As a result of placement failure, see how the placement biner crashes with the master biner; not good.

http://i49.photobucket.com/...roublettetoolong.jpg

I have obtained excellent results placing pre-set overhand knots 25 inches apart on a 48 inches sling, which allows for versatility in anchor arrangements, ample equalization range and contained extension while avoiding biner-biner clash.

Carrying the sling pre-set creates a very useful tool and saves you from wasting time checking for contained extension.

jimdavis

Apr 26, 2006, 1:28 AM
Post #882 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^ I see. Yeah, good point to keep in mind, especially considering that there would probably be a good sizes piece of pro hanging off that biner in a real failure.

Thanks charlesjmm,
Jim

adnix

Apr 26, 2006, 8:52 AM
Post #883 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have obtained excellent results placing pre-set overhand knots 25 inches apart on a 48 inches sling, which allows for versatility in anchor arrangements, ample equalization range and contained extension while avoiding biner-biner clash.
I took 360cm (148 inches) dyneema from spool and tied the knots a bit offset as you adviced. It racks perfectly with my old 120cm (48 inch) loops. I'd like to see it tested in the drop tower but I recon it should work ok. Maybe I'll take it to the ENSA lab in Chamonix this summer.

This will be my new tool and official truth. Thank you very much for your input! :D

glowering

May 19, 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #884 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to dredge this thread up again, haven't checked it in a while.

I strongly suspect that the loss of equalization in a slidingX in the tests Largo had done were the result of binding of the slidingX (from webbing on webbing contact or additional friction created from the wrap/tension of the strand of webbing that wraps around the biner) at the power point biner, NOT from additional friction from running accross two strands of webbing/cord.

It is a fact of physics that additional surface area does not increase friction. Although this is highly nonintuitive. Friction is determined by force and coefficient of friction of the materials in question. If you double the surface area you halve the force over the new area.

Anyway, for regular anchors I have just been using a limited knot slidingX, tied offset in a 48" sling, on two pieces (with a *gasp* :shock: slightly sloppy slidingX at the power point :lol: ). I put a third piece in for a backup/first piece off the belay. If I did come across 3 marginal placements in an anchor I would have a lot of good options in my bag of tricks, partly in thanks to this thread.

Charles, nice idea on the powerpoint. My only concern would be the excess loose webbing hanging around. It could possibly get jammed into the biners or an autolocking belay device at the powerpoint, etc. I would just leave the backup strand slightly loose. Is there an advantage of your method over the sloppyX? It seems like it would be a little slower to setup, due to having to retie at least one knot for each anchor.

I have been able to leave the "offset limited knot sliding sloppy X :wink: " set up on my harness and get the belay setup in about 10 seconds.

May 19, 2006, 7:03 PM
Post #885 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It is fact of physics that additional surface area does not increase friction. Although this is highly nonintuitive. Friction is determined by force and coefficient or friction of the materials in question. If you double the surface area you halve the force over the new area.

It amazes me how many times this comes up (but I guess it shouldn't amaze me). Coeficient of friction is an approximation to a HIGHLY complex phenomina. It does sufficiently predicte forces encounter in MANY (but not all) situations in real life. However, it is not an absolute. Surface area DOES matter as well as many other factors.

I know your instructor covered this (or they should be FIRED) because mine did. Once the yield strength (which is an approximation itself - based on the assumption of a homogenious material) of either of the 2 materials in contact is surpased (which is a function of surface area) the coefficient of friction no longer reasonably predicts the forces to be encountered. Therefore you should ALWAYS check to ensure that the yield strength of either of the 2 materials is NOT surpased. Then and only then can you use the APPROXIMATION of coefficient of friction with any coffidence.

By the way, there are MANY students seeking their Phd whoes primary focus of study IS friction in very specific cases were the coefficient of friction does not applyor rather does NOT reasonablt predicte the forces to be encountered.

Ken

Partner rgold

May 19, 2006, 7:36 PM
Post #886 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"The tables that list purported values of mu [coefficient of friction] are all false...the friction is never due to "copper on copper," etc. but to the impurities clinging to the copper...It is quite difficult to do accurate quantitative experiments in friction, and the laws of friction are still not analyzed very well...although the law F= mu N is fairly accurate once the surfaces are standardized, the reason for this form of the law is not really understood...at the present time in fact, it is impossible even to estimate the coefficient of friction between two substances."

---Richard Feynmann, Lectures on Physics Vol 1, p 12-4, 1963.

glowering

May 19, 2006, 8:18 PM
Post #887 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I shouldn't have stated "fact", but should have used "generalization" :wink: . It has also been a looong time since my last physics class.

But in climbing anchors are we really entering a realm where this relationship breaks down?

The "law" of gravity also breaks down near relativistic speeds, but I don't think any climbers are that fast yet.

davidji

May 19, 2006, 8:40 PM
Post #888 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But in climbing anchors are we really entering a realm where this relationship breaks down?
Would you use it to model the friction in knots? It doesn't seem to apply well to all physical structures. Nor to all types of friction (viscous friction for example).

It's an approximation that works well for some cases. Your equating it with gravity seemed a little silly.

May 19, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #889 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The "law" of gravity also breaks down near relativistic speeds, but I don't think any climbers are that fast yet.
:lol:

I agree it is a very good starting point in analysis, if not the only one we have (sometimes).

My Fluids instructor use to always say, refering to the applicability of models to reality, "It depends on how hard you squint". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wannabe

May 20, 2006, 12:53 AM
Post #890 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You haven't had a lesson in fluid dynamics until you eaten at Taco Express. That's all I'm sayin. :shock:

Vince

charlesjmm

May 20, 2006, 1:00 PM
Post #891 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry to dredge this thread up again, haven't checked it in a while.

I strongly suspect that the loss of equalization in a slidingX in the tests Largo had done were the result of binding of the slidingX (from webbing on webbing contact or additional friction created from the wrap/tension of the strand of webbing that wraps around the biner) at the power point biner, NOT from additional friction from running accross two strands of webbing/cord.

It is a fact of physics that additional surface area does not increase friction. Although this is highly nonintuitive. Friction is determined by force and coefficient of friction of the materials in question. If you double the surface area you halve the force over the new area.

Anyway, for regular anchors I have just been using a limited knot slidingX, tied offset in a 48" sling, on two pieces (with a *gasp* :shock: slightly sloppy slidingX at the power point :lol: ). I put a third piece in for a backup/first piece off the belay. If I did come across 3 marginal placements in an anchor I would have a lot of good options in my bag of tricks, partly in thanks to this thread.

Charles, nice idea on the powerpoint. My only concern would be the excess loose webbing hanging around. It could possibly get jammed into the biners or an autolocking belay device at the powerpoint, etc. I would just leave the backup strand slightly loose. Is there an advantage of your method over the sloppyX? It seems like it would be a little slower to setup, due to having to retie at least one knot for each anchor.

I have been able to leave the "offset limited knot sliding sloppy X :wink: " set up on my harness and get the belay setup in about 10 seconds.

Glowering, to ambience the issue, I’ll say that the improved Troublette came to life as a result of seeking for ways to minimize equalization’s biggest enemy: FRICTION. The design turned out to be a useful tool applicable as part of an anchor matrix or as a power point in itself. As you point out, the knotted sliding X equally qualifies for these chores; the improved Troublette simply provides for enhanced equalization qualities as it avoids the binding problem.

As to the possibility of the backup strand interfering other gear, your proposal of leaving the backup strand slightly loose is certainly the solution; just bear in mind that the backup strand also controls the equalization range; therefore, by minimizing the backup strand’s length you are also reducing the equalization range. It’s the eternal compromise at play….. Exercising tidiness at the anchor is always advisable.

Regarding rigging time, what I’ve experienced is that the improved Troublette accommodates a broader range of placements configurations. This allows for slack while placing the individual anchors on rock as they don’t need to be conveniently close to each other. In the end, total rigging time (viewed as setting anchors on rock AND subsequent rope work) turn out to be equivalent.

Lastly, I second the notion of leaving the sling pre-set as it makes life so much easier.

Charlesjmm

sittingduck

May 30, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #892 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After reading this long thread I will change one thing in my method of building trad belay anchors. I will drop the figure 8 to collect all the strands that I used to do when rigging my cordalette. No stopping knots what so ever from now on.
That’s it, I will go on using the cordalette, backed up with my climbing ropes clove hitched to all the pieces in the anchor, leaving just enough slack for the cordalette to work.
Peace

fitzontherocks

Aug 28, 2006, 1:34 PM
Post #893 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I've searched for the link to the pictures of the sliding x with limiting knots in the outer legs and can't find it. Can anybody post it, please? Thanks.

maxtrax

Aug 28, 2006, 2:03 PM
Post #894 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just build a normal sliding x then unclip one leg at a time and put in an overhand knot then reclip the leg to your pro. I generally put the knots about 5-6 inches on either side of my master point (when using a shoulder lenght sling). I think there's a picture of it within the first 6-8 pages of this thread.

glowering

Aug 28, 2006, 3:40 PM
Post #895 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've searched for the link to the pictures of the sliding x with limiting knots in the outer legs and can't find it. Can anybody post it, please?

Here's some photos of a sliding X with limiter knots.

It pays to dress the limiter knots so they are clean.

I leave it pre-tied and almost never adjust the knots. If one side is too long I'll throw an overhand or 8 in that arm to shorten it. Or if one side is too short, I'll extend to that piece with another sling.

For racking I just leave my master point big locking caribiner clipped in the X, then twist the arms and clip the arms to the master biner.

I have it tied so that the strand that circles the biner has a little slack in it, then there is no binding so it get's the best possible equalization, but there is still redundancy (so I'm not dependant on a single strand of a sling).

I'll clip this to two bolts or two pieces of pro for my anchor. If I want a third piece of pro in my anchor I just use a sling from that piece to my master point caribiner with a little slack in it.

I find this is very fast, often faster than a cordelette and I get the best possible equalization from two pieces with the least amount of gear.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/748/x2dr.jpg

Here's the max seperation:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8400/xfar8tq.jpg

icculus

Sep 13, 2006, 2:03 PM
Post #896 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phew...that took me two days (off and on) to read through, but it has been very educational. Thanks to all that contributed their ideas.

Personally, I still like the setup jeremy11 came up with below...the homegrown AE.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=69709

I also like the "Mooselette"...

http://i26.photobucket.com/.../gostriker/anch3.jpg

...and the "mhabicht"/modified equalette rig.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=70640

Each of these setups uses minimal gear...which I like. Anyone put these anchors to the test yet?

Partner cracklover

Sep 13, 2006, 8:22 PM
Post #897 of 915 (115636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone put these anchors to the test yet?

Yes, I use these modern rigs exclusively whenever I rig up a cordelette (perhaps 20% of my trad anchors). Mostly I've used the Mooselette, because it's so quick and easy to rig, and eqalizes so well, but I've used and enjoyed the CharlesJMM rig, too.

I haven't seen a factor two fall on them yet (thank god!) but I have certainly put them to the test. For example, I slept on the Mooselette. Not just me, either - I hung myself and my partner, our double portaledge, all our gear, food, water, etc, off the Mooselette.

GO

devils_advocate

Sep 13, 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #898 of 915 (115690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Devils_advocate moments ago at his desk, in his cubicle:

Damn this Excel file, it’s full of bugs. I should just start clean and reprogram in the whole database. Or... maybe I’ll jump on RC.com and waste some time. *thinking* Option 2 wins.

He opens Internet Explorer and clicks on the first entry under Favorites: Rockclimbing.com. He waits patiently for the screen to load and checks an email or two; still waiting. He goes and grabs a cup of water, pretends to be interested in whatever inane conversation he gets pulled into at the watercooler and slips away back to his desk; still waiting. He then tries the Close IE - Open a new browser technique a couple of times... finally gets through:

Sweet. Well, lets see what’s going on in the forums today. Top of the list: Top Roping Questions. Meh, probably some guy with 6 locking biners talking about his technique for setting up TR. Next down: CCH Aliens. Those poor guys, I don’t think they’ll ever live this down. Next down: How to attract a trad mentor. Heh, yeah, grow breasts, that’s how. Next down...

An uncomfortable feeling strikes our websurfer. Palms get sweaty, throat tightens... wild animals come out of the woodwork sensing panic, looking for a victim. He double checks the line to make sure he is reading it correctly:

Improved Sliding X: Is it Really Safer?

Oh God no. Say it isn’t so. Tell me that’s not... THE thread. Somebody must have made a second, a smaller one, a much smaller one. They wouldn’t bring that one back... would they.

With a cheesy B-Horror Movie stupidity he moves his cursor over to the link. Heart pounding, eyes focused. Some guy in the audience stands up and yells “Don’t click the damn link, moron”. He clicks the link.

Go to page 1,2,3...58,59,60. OH GOD NO. AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I’ll be at Belview if anyone needs me.

bill413

Sep 13, 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #899 of 915 (115690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, being in Belview should give you enough time to read thru the whole thread....

jimdavis

Sep 14, 2006, 1:53 AM
Post #900 of 915 (116431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:twisted: ................................................ BUMP! ....... :lol:

First page Previous page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook