RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

USnavy

Jun 14, 2009, 6:28 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4868 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

rocknice2

Jun 14, 2009, 6:34 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] 5-piece Rawl / Powers bolt. Hanger on the sleeve or the bolt? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What size bolts are you using

USnavy

Jun 14, 2009, 6:43 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] 5-piece Rawl / Powers bolt. Hanger on the sleeve or the bolt? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
What size bolts are you using
Well I use 3/8" and 1/2". Mainly I use 1/2" on stuff that has very hard moves far above a bolt (1st or 2nd bolt). But most of the bolts are 3/8". I have been taught that placing the hanger on the bolt was advantageous because it placed more torque on the hanger thus reducing the chance of it becoming a spinner.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jun 14, 2009, 6:48 AM)

rocknice2

Jun 14, 2009, 8:11 AM
Post #4 of 7 (4831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] 5-piece Rawl / Powers bolt. Hanger on the sleeve or the bolt? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the 3/8 x 2 1/2 long. These have a plastic sleeve directly under the washer.

I'm having trouble picturing the torque you speak of helping it stay tight
In reply to:
placing the hanger on the bolt was advantageous because it placed more torque on the hanger thus reducing the chance of it becoming a spinner.
If anything more torque is the last thing you want. That's why on very steep terrain [ 45+ degrees ] I place the hanger over the bolt reducing the torque on it.

What I have found greatly affect a placement is the prep you put into each hole.
- this one is a no brainer but, Select solid rock.. I pound it with my hammer and listen to the rock.
- Select the flattest area to put the bolt.
- Make it flat by pounding the nubbins and crystals into oblivion. I sometime use a chisel to help me out when the rock is really funky.
- Drill a straight and perpendicular hole. I made myself a hanger size block 1' thick with a hole drilled thru it [perpendicular]. I place the block against the wall and the drill into the block. When the drill bit is centerd I pull the trigger, keeping an eye that it stay that way. Once I'm in about an inch I remove the block and finish drilling to final depth.
- Clean the hole. blow, brush, blow, brush, blow.
- Don't remove the plastic sleeve
- Install bolt so the bottom of clipping hole is directly under the bolt. This can be made easier if you clip a draw into the hanger when the bolt is lightly snug and pull on the draw towards the ground. If anything err to the right as this will tend to tighten the bolt when a force is appied to the hanger
- Torque. I have been wrenching for decades and now have a torque wrench for an arm. Practice this at home by torquing a bolt with a torque wrench and then try to tighten the bolt with the same wrench you'll be using on the rock. See how much force you need to apply to just just turn the bolt. repeat repeat repeat

Following these steps has allowed me to place many spin free bolts.
All the steps are important but probably the most is "clean the hole with a brush"

USnavy

Jun 14, 2009, 9:37 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] 5-piece Rawl / Powers bolt. Hanger on the sleeve or the bolt? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
If anything more torque is the last thing you want. That's why on very steep terrain [ 45+ degrees ] I place the hanger over the bolt reducing the torque on it.
By "over the bolt" I am assuming you mean on the bolt and not on the sleeve?

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jun 14, 2009, 9:54 AM)

rocknice2

Jun 14, 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I mean is the hanger hangs up towards the sky. Upside down if you will.
Again this is on very steep routes

bill413

Jun 14, 2009, 3:12 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
What’s everyone’s' opinion on the mounting of the hanger on the Power Bolts? Do you place the hanger on the sleeve or on the bolt? This seems to be an ongoing debate with both sides giving their believed advantages to using their method. Fixe's official statement is that they recommend the hanger is on the sleeve. They state that Powers designed the bolt to have the load dispersed across the sleeve, not the bolt. However, more often than not I see the hanger placed on the bolt, not the sleeve. I have only used one method for my bolts and I have not tried the other. Does placing the hanger on the sleeve make the hanger more prone to becoming a spinner then if one were to place it on the bolt itself?
And you beleive the manufacturer to be wrong?
I would hope they base their recommendation on actual testing and not armchair speculation (or on people not reading the specifications).

(This post was edited by bill413 on Jun 14, 2009, 3:13 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook