RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

Skidemon27

Apr 27, 2009, 3:05 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3046 views)
Shortcut

Addicted
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

this past thursday on april 23, i took a lead course with high xposure up at the gunks, to learn all the thing i might be missing in lead climbing since im just new to trad climbing. so i packed up my new BD C4 and C3, nuts,slings and wat not and headed up there. was a chilly day compared to how it was the rest of the weekend. either way was beautiful day to learn and most of rock climb. so after a couple of hours of instruction we headed out for my first true lead climb, none of the that mock lead crap but the real deal. i must say i was nervious, not just nervious but the same kinda of feeling when you first learn to ride a bike, or drive a car. it was a nervious feeling of power and freedom.

so i put my first cam in, clipped in, and said to my-self, "i got this, now just dont fall, yea i got this" kept playing that same sentence in my head the whole pitch up. then the second cam, clipped in and kept moving, i had this sense of awareness i never felt before in my life. for the first time i felt one with the rock. sounds kinda stupid but im sure there are a few who have felt this before as well. each cam that went in just became more addicting. i just couldnt wait to put another one in, and push my limit of height further.

finally i reach the bolted rap rings, and a sigh of relief, accomplishment, and pride. so i set my anchor and belay my guide up. then with a quick self pat on the back i was up on my way again up pitch 2. again it was the same as before every cam and nut that the rock took from my hands just got me more and more hyped. all i wanted to do was climb and feed this rock monster that im climbing more of my gear. with every clip was a new pump of energy.

i finally reach the top and set my anchor, belay my guide up. as im sitting there watching all the little cars and people the size of ants below me run around. im there sitting in the sun watching the clouds blow across the valley. is then i realize that this is my new drug. this is my ecstasy, my crack my fix. and i was now truly devoted junkie

Partner wormly81

Apr 27, 2009, 3:41 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Skidemon27] Addicted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Congrats on your first leads. Finding a more experienced climber to follow will make you a better leader. Take it easy and be sure to differentiate the difference between scary falls and dangerous falls.

Best,

Jeff

coastal_climber

Apr 27, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wormly81] Addicted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nice dude!

sgreer

Apr 27, 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best drug of all! I'm coming down now. Just did 25+ trad pitches in the Valley over two days. The withdrawal sucks.

Welcome BruthaCool

zealotnoob

Apr 27, 2009, 4:44 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice!

Now go make peace with your non-climbing friends, family, work, etc. Make them understand how inspired you are and how much this means to you.

You want to do this now because you're about to spend a lot less time with them. They'll be hurt if they don't understand why. The deeper you go the harder it is to explain.

(This post was edited by zealotnoob on Apr 27, 2009, 4:47 PM)

Terry2124

Apr 27, 2009, 5:04 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zealotnoob] Addicted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup its a great feeling.

Do you think it was better then sex?

Skidemon27

Apr 27, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Terry2124] Addicted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

possibly......only becasue i dont have to cuddle afterwards or try and sneak out while the rock is sleeping

sknowlton

Apr 27, 2009, 8:30 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there on Wed. What route(s) did you lead?

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook