RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

csm

May 3, 2010, 5:08 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1237 views)
Shortcut

recon trip to Twin Oaks, San Marcos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I checked out an area mentioned in the Sd Guide in San marcos this afternoon. I parked off of Mesa Rock and started exploring the roads looking for possible good rock.

I started off by hiking the old road that parallels the highway. All I could find there was an incredible wealth of boulders all on the other side of the Freeway.[/image][/image]

I backtracked and found a road that headed up into the hills towards some boulders high on a hill. On the way up, I did find a remnant of climbers past.[/image] Looked like a 3/8 inch bolt I am assuming from the mid 80s. Here is the face.[/image][/image]

Encouraged by the old bolt, I headed up towards the boulders high on the hillside. Near the top of the dirt road, I located a faint "trail" heading towards the summit. About 15 minutes later, I made the summit.[/image] Of course, I had to add one boulder to the cairn.
The summit had a great 360 degree view. Unfortunately, all the promising boulders on top turned up to be basically worthless for climbing. The big summit boulder is totally bald, and the other boulders showed little promise. Not to be totally shut down, I did find a few problems on the Cairn boulder that went down in the tennies.

Oh well, time to start exploring the area on the hill near the richie rich homes. Hopefully, I can find some access.

Has anyone else checked out this area via the other recommended starting point?

If anyone has some info on any decent spots in North County and is willing to share the info, I would greatly appreciate an email. I am getting back into climbing after several years off, and I would love to find some spots for a quick work out that don't require me to drive to Woodson or Culp.

Chris

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook