RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

mushrooms

Aug 23, 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1056 views)
Shortcut

cleaning rock
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Next spring, late, depending on the snow if anyone is interested in a new area that is East and North of Enumclaw Washington the rock is in need of cleaning. I have located a few areas that are worth looking at very close. One area does have two real nice cliffs of about 100 feet with a few boulders. Take a look at my web site.

http://greenwaterclimbingarea.homestead.com/index.html

Thanks

Ed

socalbolter

Aug 23, 2006, 1:05 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Re: cleaning rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"The Valley" looks the most promising, given it's proximity to the fire road and the bulges and overhung(?) central face.

Have fun !

billcoe_

Aug 25, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Re: cleaning rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Next spring, late, depending on the snow if anyone is interested in a new area that is East and North of Enumclaw Washington the rock is in need of cleaning. I have located a few areas that are worth looking at very close. One area does have two real nice cliffs of about 100 feet with a few boulders. Take a look at my web site.

http://greenwaterclimbingarea.homestead.com/index.html

Thanks

Ed

Sweet looking stuff Ed. Thank you for sharing. Hope you get some nice folks to help you fix it all up. Looks like some great routes in there.

May I suggest 2 things. Have a trashed rope or 2 that you can still rappel for use in cleaning off the larger boulders (I chopped 2 ropes doing that very thing this year, it always amazes me because it seems so obvious not to drop a rock on your rope, but then you do it anyway :lol: )

2nd, do not use wire brushes for cleaning routes. I did that for years until my friend Jim Opdycke mentioned that a wire brush will smooth the little rugosites and tiny bumps which our climbing shoes love to grip, and will make the rock slick. Use a Palmyra bristle brush, bigger and stiffer is better. As it wears, if you rip some bristles out, as the Palmyra is natural bristles and is basically vegetation anyway it will break down naturally, and it won't lay there like looking like a Rat Turd in the sugar bowl like brightly colored poly bristles will.

Enjoy!

Bill

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook