RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

charley

Apr 20, 2009, 4:01 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3233 views)
Shortcut

my silent spring afternoon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Just 25 miles, thirty minutes down the road is a valley with climbable rock on the sides. My local climbing area is McConnells mill state park. It's close enough to drive down and see if the rock is dry. There's white water in the creek at the bottom. It causes moisture problems when there has been no rain. As far as climbing I usually describe it as better than nothing, but it's a nice thing to have almost in my back yard. There are climbs as easy as 5.3,climbs that challenge me, and ones way harder than I can do. I think 5.12. It can be crowded with college or scout groups, hikers, kids, whatever or it can be quiet midweek during school.
On a recent friday afternoon, I had my own silent spring afternoon there. I was a bit tired from weight lifting, hard hiking, and some climbing earlier in the week. I arrived at the "mill" mid afternoon on a sunny april day. I don't use a rope there much anymore, so I took my crash pad and shoes and went down the trail. Five fingers arete is a physical 5.8 that I used to be able to do. The name is also given to the whole wall. The opposite end is 5.4 - 5.6 depending on what you get on. If you have a rope you can do 3 variations from the same tree anchors. I need to improve my climbing and my endurance so I have been playing on this section of rock. I do my usual 5- 10 feet of climbing and then down climb. I stay near the arete that is 5.4ish and get high enough that one more step would put me at the top and then I climb down. I then move left a step to make it a bit harder. I go about half way up the short 15 foot wall and then down climb because I am feeling my fingers and forearms and do not want to get pumped. I need a rest so I just crash on the pad. It's sunny and warm and I'm tired and it just feels soo goood. I lay there and listen to the pleasant silence, enjoying the warm spring sunshine. I think of being there a couple days earlier when three teenagers, I assumed were still on spring break, were there making all kinds of noise as they hollered and giggled. I look around for some of the birds and chipmunks that frequent the park. Seeing nothing to hold my attention, I just close my eyes and relax. I am close to falling asleep. It just feels great to relax beside the rock, in the sun.
I saw some cars as I pulled in so I know there is some one else around. I think of a tourist or park ranger looking down from the top and seeing my body laying still on the pad. I wonder what they would think? It sure would feel good to just let myself drift off to sleep. It is so peaceful and quiet.
But, there is rock to be climbed. The rest felt good and refreshing. I get up and do the easy side again only going to the top this time. Both hands are over the top but if I top out I have to walk around, scramble down and walk back. I down climb and continue to enjoy my sunny April afternoon of climbing. Life is grand.

reg

Apr 20, 2009, 4:17 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] my silent spring afternoon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

put a girl in it

Partner nauk

Apr 20, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, it sure is a lot easier to sleep when all the birds are dead.

boymeetsrock

Apr 20, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I thought this was going to be about cleaning the moss of the cliff with DDT... Tongue

Sounds like a very nice day at the crag Charlie! As I sit here in my cube, with weekends planned full of family junk for the next month or so... I'm JEALOUS !!!!!

Edit spelling.

(This post was edited by boymeetsrock on Apr 20, 2009, 4:56 PM)

Partner macherry

Apr 20, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] my silent spring afternoon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for sharing charley. sounds like a nice spring day

btreanor

Apr 20, 2009, 8:32 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought this was going to be about a bunch of DDT soaked birds at your local crag.

I'm glad it turned out to be happier than that.

Brian

seatbeltpants

Apr 21, 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i though this was going to be about agrichemical runoff killing everything in the area or sommat. instead it just made me feel sad that i'm stuck in an office :(

steve

charley

Apr 21, 2009, 2:04 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] my silent spring afternoon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks ma and others. The birds were fine. I just didn't see any at that moment.
I am way past the age when a girl is needed to have a nice day. Not that they are not appreciated, just not needed.
Sorry about you folks reading it at work and wishing you were out.

seatbeltpants

Apr 21, 2009, 2:10 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:

mate, if the roles were reversed i wouldn't be sorry, i'd be revelling in it!

steve

boymeetsrock

Apr 21, 2009, 3:36 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] my silent spring afternoon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seatbeltpants wrote:
charley wrote:

mate, if the roles were reversed i wouldn't be sorry, i'd be revelling in it!

steve

+1 Good for you Charlie !

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook