RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

GregHowland

Apr 13, 2011, 9:48 PM
Post #1 of 13 (9549 views)
Shortcut

Moonlight Buttress
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here is the link to my trip report of an ascent of Moonlight Buttress last month.
http://ghowland.blogspot.com/...nlight-buttress.html

Gmburns2000

Apr 13, 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #2 of 13 (9518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GregHowland] Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GregHowland wrote:
Here is the link to my trip report of an ascent of Moonlight Buttress last month.
http://ghowland.blogspot.com/...nlight-buttress.html

nice read. thanks for sharing. sounds as if it was a great trip. congrats!

bandycoot

Apr 13, 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #3 of 13 (9490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the pictures and the psyche. I'm going to make a free attempt on that beast in about a week! I'm glad the river is crossable. I was going to call the rangers about that one!

I remember how cold my feet were after crossing the river last year. Definitely the low point of the day...

Josh

dbogardus

Apr 14, 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #4 of 13 (9461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice work.

TarHeelEMT

Apr 14, 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #5 of 13 (9458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice. You just inspired me to add that to my summer tick list.

sandstone

Apr 14, 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #6 of 13 (9452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice!

GregHowland

Apr 14, 2011, 7:24 AM
Post #7 of 13 (9394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really excited to hear people are getting psyched and inspired over my TR. It's the whole reason I started my blog.

Josh. It's probably not going to be crossable. Check out the website with the current flow rates. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/...60,00010,00095,72020 700 CFS right now!!! I wouldn't cross if the flow rate is higher than 250 cfs even without a haul bag. Are you familiar with the alternative approach?

Good luck on the free attempt. That is a seriously proud free climb. Pulling 5.12 with that much air under you would be so awesome. Get after it and SEND!

bandycoot

Apr 14, 2011, 1:58 PM
Post #8 of 13 (9353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greg, that's an awesome link! Thanks! It looks like it's only about high 300s at the moment, with no rainfall predicted for a week. I'll hope that it comes down a little more. That 700 looks like a spike on Apr 8th. I've got a pretty good way to cross high water with a partner that's really stable and almost impossible to fall if it's a little high.

Just curious, but what is the alternative approach? I'm hoping that it doesn't involve hiking to the top and rapping....

Josh

GregHowland

Apr 14, 2011, 4:47 PM
Post #9 of 13 (9317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not that bad. It's a faint climber/game trail from the Grotto shuttle stop. Cross the bridge and follow the trail located just above the high water mark. Makes for around a 1.5 hour hike. We didn't have to use it so I don't know exactly where it picks up from the Angel's landing trail. I would imagine that the further up river you get, the easier it will be to identify.

bandycoot

Apr 20, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #10 of 13 (9162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for that info. Looks like that's the way to go for us this weekend. The flow rate was over 1000cfs last night! At least we'll keep our feet dry/warm...

Josh

kennoyce

Apr 20, 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #11 of 13 (9126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having done the high water approach, I don't envy you. We had beta telling us where to leave the angels landing trail, but I don't think it was correct. My advice would be to try and stick as close to the river as possible and hopefully that will work out better than what I did;)

olympicmtnboy

Apr 20, 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #12 of 13 (9124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice TR, thanks! We were up there just a few days before you! We were on track for a one day ascent when the rain came in the early afternoon (at the top of pitch 4) and we decided to bail.

We had heard the river was too high to ford (500 cfs) so we did the hike on the way in. It wasn't too bad but did have a couple of brushy sections. It took about an hour, just follow the Angels Landing trail until the first obvious switchback where it heads back away from the wall and find the various climbers paths.

In the afternoon we decided to try the ford as it didn't look bad. The crossing is MUCH easier several hundred yards downstream from the bus stop. By taking a long angled route linking shallow spots we got across with mostly calf deep water and one or two knee deep steps. It was pretty easy even with 500 cfs but you have to find the right spot. If it looks bad the hike won't cost you that much time.

Cheers!

kennoyce

Apr 20, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #13 of 13 (9119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olympicmtnboy] Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olympicmtnboy wrote:
Nice TR, thanks! We were up there just a few days before you! We were on track for a one day ascent when the rain came in the early afternoon (at the top of pitch 4) and we decided to bail.

We had heard the river was too high to ford (500 cfs) so we did the hike on the way in. It wasn't too bad but did have a couple of brushy sections. It took about an hour, just follow the Angels Landing trail until the first obvious switchback where it heads back away from the wall and find the various climbers paths.

In the afternoon we decided to try the ford as it didn't look bad. The crossing is MUCH easier several hundred yards downstream from the bus stop. By taking a long angled route linking shallow spots we got across with mostly calf deep water and one or two knee deep steps. It was pretty easy even with 500 cfs but you have to find the right spot. If it looks bad the hike won't cost you that much time.

Cheers!

Yeah, the beta I got was to head off the AL trail at like the third switchback or something like that. It didn't work out so well. We finally bushwacked our way back to the river and after that it wasn't so bad.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook