RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

James066

May 27, 2012, 9:58 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Buying a Rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So after reading through about a dozen threads on ropes, I still felt inclined to ask a few questions. I mainly do sport climbing and am getting into some lead climbs. The consensus I've noticed over those previous threads are to get a 60m 10.2mm-10.5mm rope. After looking online at the hundreds of different ropes out there it still seems a bit confusing to me on which one is the right one. What's the difference between Dynamic,static,unicore,dry,golden dry. As well which brand comes most recommended? Also can you tell me any good websites to buy stuff online, I've checked out gearexpress.com so far. In my area I have MEC,Atmosphere and Valhalla as far as outdoors stores.

sungam

May 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [James066] Buying a Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MEC usually has good prices and custmer support. Buy a dynamic rope, static ropes aren't for catching falls.
Other then that just get the cheapest 10.2 you can find. Dry treated just means it stays dryer in the rain/snow. Not needed for sport climbing.

marc801

May 27, 2012, 3:21 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

James066 wrote:
So after reading through about a dozen threads on ropes, I still felt inclined to ask a few questions. I mainly do sport climbing and am getting into some lead climbs. The consensus I've noticed over those previous threads are to get a 60m 10.2mm-10.5mm rope. After looking online at the hundreds of different ropes out there it still seems a bit confusing to me on which one is the right one. What's the difference between Dynamic,static,unicore,dry,golden dry. As well which brand comes most recommended?
All your research should have told you that any rope from the major manufacturers will suit your current needs. But the fact that you still don't know the stuf I italicized and especially the bolded terms really says that you're not ready to buy a rope. In fact not knowing the difference between ropes labeled dynamic and static could kill you and your partner.

(This post was edited by marc801 on May 27, 2012, 3:23 PM)

bearbreeder

May 27, 2012, 4:23 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.lacordee.com/...gle-rope/lnx-smart10

tendon 10mm 60m rope from lacordee .... 99$ .. add a biner to make it over $100 for free shipping ... then use code Natur3 for 15$ off ... its basically an $85 rope ...

ive used mine for well over 800+ pitches of trad, sport, multi by now ... its taken good whippers and been TR with total noobs ... my only complaint is that eventually itll stiffen and fuzz up a bit after alot of use, but the same happens with my mammuts

its is THE beginner rope i recommend in canada ... where else will you find an 85$ rope up here?

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook