RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

aulwes

Mar 21, 2002, 11:39 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Shelter while climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking about buying a new tent... What type of tent do you guys have that you like?
I've been looking at buying either the Walrus Terramoto or the Mountain Hardwear Room With A View.
I just want to stay dry, and have a tent that will fit two people. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.
~Joe

krustyklimber

Mar 23, 2002, 11:21 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Shelter while climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe,
I have an REI Half Dome Plus 2, and I love it! The price was great, less than half the price of the other models and manufacturers I looked at, it's roomy enough for two, has two doors and two vestabules, and a clear window in the fly, which is really a nice thing on starry nights (I live in western Washington, I never set up my tent without the fly; it paid off last fall in the Valley, a freak storm hit about 1am, and I laid in my tent giggling listening to the pandamonium going on in the rain in Camp 4).

If you find the Half Dome a little small, consider the REI Taj 3 it's alot more room but not ALOT more money.

I hope this helps,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-03-23 03:23 ]

aulwes

Mar 27, 2002, 5:40 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Jeff,

... the Taj 3 looks like a good tent, I like that it has Aluminum DAC Featherlite poles, but...

I went with a Kelty Mantra 3; the description fit my needs I wanted a tent that was mainly for my girl friend and I to keep nice and dry! (Maybe do some hiking too). I also like the fact that it has a nice big vestibule (11-12sqft) and room for and extra friend. I also, went with the Mantra 3 because rei-outlet had it on sale. (I picked it up for 174.00 and no shipping.)

I'm going to try it out for the week of April 5th - 15th I'll let you guys know how it holds up.

~Joe

Here's a link to the Kelty's tent webpage: "Kelty Tents!"

paintinhaler

Mar 27, 2002, 6:00 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wal-mart

addiroids

Mar 27, 2002, 6:24 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a Mtn HW Skyview 1.5 for $200 instead of $300 retail. I really like it. It is bomber, and is more than comfortable for two people with the packs at your feet. It has a bomber fly too, which is nice.

I worked at the University of Nebraska Outdoor Adventures while I was in college. We rented the Walrus tents (4-man) out. I don't know if they were the kind you are talking about, but they were really crappy. The sleaves always ripped, and even after cutting 4" off the poles, they were still way too tight.

Try to buy a tent with the fewest "pole sleeves" as possible. Another reason I like the Mtn HW is that 2/3 of the poles are clip in rather than the sleeve kind. Just something to think about. I have set up my Mtn HW tent about 50 times in the 2 years I have owned it, and it is a breeze to set up. 3 minutes max (without guying it out) with the fly.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

apollodorus

Mar 27, 2002, 8:23 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with PaintInhaler. Unless you're going on *real* mountain climbs, the cheaper the tent, the better. You can get a fiberglass poled geodesic-type tent for less than $100, complete with rainfly. For real climbing, though, a good aerodynamic design with the vestibules is nice. Use the money you save to buy titanium stakes, which hold up better than aluminum.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook