Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

reg

Nov 1, 2006, 1:51 PM
Post #51 of 59 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Re: Suddenly wondering about my Corax Belay Loop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

don't know if it's been said but "when in doubt - back it up" - i always used a sling girthed through swami and leg loop cross over (rather then loop) - of late i use two slings - which extends the device up to about eye level and a prussic back up. some say overkill, time consuming, bla, bla, bla - but it's comfortable esp. with a pack and hell ...you can take a bite-0-ham sammich or smoke a camel while your commin down. 8^)

Partner csgambill

Nov 1, 2006, 2:10 PM
Post #52 of 59 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Why don't you just cut off the existing belay loop and tie a new loop with 1/2 inch tubular webbing. This way you can replace it when it gets worn and make it larger or smaller depending on your preferences.
I believe* that belay loops (when new) are far stronger than tied 1/2 inch tubular. Therefore, such practice would be to replace a strong link with a weaker one. I'd think that to be generally ill advised.

*Dangerous words - can someone help me out here with actual ratings?

Just for the record, I completely agree with you. In addition to being weaker you also run the risk of tying the loop improperly and having it come undone. So, this is not a practice I'd recommend to everyone. The belay loops on almost any harness are much tougher than a single piece of tubular webbing and will wear far better. Just give your harness a once over before you use it and remember climbing is inherently dangerous!

watchme

Nov 1, 2006, 2:47 PM
Post #53 of 59 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think everyone is missing the lesson to be learned from Todd Skinner's accident: retire old gear.

If he had broken an old sling or an old 'biner, we would be stressing over the kind of sling and biner that broke. In this case it was his belay loop which failed because it was too worn (the current hypothesis).

Gear is cheap. Just buy a new harness every few years, and store your harness properly.

jimdavis

Nov 1, 2006, 8:19 PM
Post #54 of 59 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
don't know if it's been said but "when in dought - back it up" - i always used a sling girthed through swami and leg loop cross over (rather then loop) - of late i use two slings - which extends the device up to about eye level and a prussic back up. some say overkill, time consuming, bla, bla, bla - but it's comfortable esp. with a pack and hell ...you can take a bite-0-ham sammich or smoke a camel while your commin down. 8^)

And in doing so you take all the rise out of your harness! Even notice that increased tension on your lower back when you do that stuff? There's a reason they space out the leg loops from the waist belt.

Comfortable with a pack? In taking that rise out of your harness, your now more likely to flip over backwards...and your recommending this for use with a pack?

reg

Nov 1, 2006, 8:34 PM
Post #55 of 59 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
don't know if it's been said but "when in dought - back it up" - i always used a sling girthed through swami and leg loop cross over (rather then loop) - of late i use two slings - which extends the device up to about eye level and a prussic back up. some say overkill, time consuming, bla, bla, bla - but it's comfortable esp. with a pack and hell ...you can take a bite-0-ham sammich or smoke a camel while your commin down. 8^)

And in doing so you take all the rise out of your harness! Even notice that increased tension on your lower back when you do that stuff? There's a reason they space out the leg loops from the waist belt.

Comfortable with a pack? In taking that rise out of your harness, your now more likely to flip over backwards...and your recommending this for use with a pack?

good point about the "rise"! i usually hang my pack (when it's full) on a 4'sling below me. can't say tension on the lower back is a problem but i'm gonna try the belay/rappel loop to compare just as soon as i ditch the Bod i'm using. thanks! maybe if this all works and i'm more comphy - i could add an IPA to the ride down!

Partner bri1682

Nov 1, 2006, 8:42 PM
Post #56 of 59 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The stitching on my Petzl adjama's belay loop started fraying and coming undone after only a few weeks of use.

madrock

Dec 20, 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #57 of 59 (1105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winkwinklambonini] Suddenly wondering about my Corax Belay Loop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It has long been considered a badge of honor wearing your incredibly tatered harness while climbing in Yosemite. This might be a good time to reconsider that practice. Even the best climbers can make mistakes.

Joe

ja1484

Dec 20, 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #58 of 59 (1087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Suddenly wondering about my Corax Belay Loop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Why don't you just cut off the existing belay loop and tie a new loop with 1/2 inch tubular webbing. This way you can replace it when it gets worn and make it larger or smaller depending on your preferences.
I believe* that belay loops (when new) are far stronger than tied 1/2 inch tubular. Therefore, such practice would be to replace a strong link with a weaker one. I'd think that to be generally ill advised.

*Dangerous words - can someone help me out here with actual ratings?

Believe me, they are. Knots lower strength of any given material. Sewing is always stronger. Also, belay loops are generally doubled 11/16ths webbing bartacked through a section of triple thickness. They have to pass 15kN to pass UIAA cert, and most of them are far burlier than that.

See here for more info:
http://www.bdel.com/...p_archive.php#102706

BD's historical average of belay loop testing is over 5000lb breaking strength. That means when they pull random harnesses off the line and snap the belay loops, of all the harnesses they've tested, the average breaking strength is over 2.5 tons of force.

Notice that the belay loop that was cut 90% of the way through was still good to 700lbs...well above bodyweight.

Suffice it to say, I am not worried about my belay loop, and I am not about to replace it with tied webbing.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Dec 20, 2006, 10:54 PM)

gunkiemike

Dec 20, 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #59 of 59 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madrock] Suddenly wondering about my Corax Belay Loop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

madrock wrote:
It has long been considered a badge of honor wearing your incredibly tatered harness while climbing in Yosemite. This might be a good time to reconsider that practice. Even the best climbers can make mistakes.

Joe

This is the first new insight I've seen in this sad episode, and it says a lot. Now, is anyone gutsy enough to step forward and corroborate this?

There was a time when it was the vogue here in the Gunks to see how little gear one could lead a difficult route with. I believe Lynn Hill talks about this misguided direction in her book (not 100% sure, haven't read it. Just going by something I think I heard her say) That'll get people killed too.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook