Forums: Climbing Information: The Lab:
anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

NJSlacker

Oct 28, 2008, 3:13 AM
Post #1 of 16 (8825 views)
Shortcut

anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, first thing's first. I've seen people use slings as anchors and I've seen people wrap trees directly for anchors, but which is stronger?

each case has the theoretically same amount of webbing, and in each case the biner is putting force on the same theoretical cross-section of webbing. Is there a theoretical difference?

That question probably ties into my second question, which is, how strong is a rope when the force is perpendicular to the direction it's designed to hold weight (down the length of the line, instead of across its diameter). In each of those anchors I drew, the biner is pulling across the diameter of the rope, though the tree raps are not a crimped as the slings. so based on that, which anchor would be stronger?

Melon

Oct 28, 2008, 3:52 AM
Post #2 of 16 (8816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NJSlacker] anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a riddle? Little too much thought into a slackline.I just girth hitch slings.The rig I use also has no knots for easy tear down.

majid_sabet

Oct 28, 2008, 3:55 AM
Post #3 of 16 (8816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NJSlacker] anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NJSlacker

Oct 28, 2008, 4:14 AM
Post #4 of 16 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the quick replies

In this case, I'm only concerned with the forces on the rope, so lets assume the biner in infinitely strong and crossloading is negligible.

majid_sabet

Oct 28, 2008, 4:54 AM
Post #5 of 16 (8786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NJSlacker wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies

In this case, I'm only concerned with the forces on the rope, so lets assume the biner in infinitely strong and crossloading is negligible.

when you say rope, are you talking about the anchor rope?

NJSlacker

Oct 28, 2008, 4:58 AM
Post #6 of 16 (8783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whoops, I was saying webbing in the OP

yea, I'm talking about the anchor rope, yellow in the picture.

majid_sabet

Oct 28, 2008, 5:31 AM
Post #7 of 16 (8778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NJSlacker wrote:

where do you think the weakest point is in your anchor?

USnavy

Oct 28, 2008, 6:46 AM
Post #8 of 16 (8755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
[IMG]http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8417/2980391262271af824ccdx8.jpg[/IMG]

Trixaial loading, not crossloading. It’s not the same thing and that is not crossloading.

NJSlacker

Oct 28, 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #9 of 16 (8733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
NJSlacker wrote:

where do you think the weakest point is in your anchor?

The point I'm concerned about is where the rope/webbing meets the biner in either case.

patto

Oct 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #10 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree that biner crossloading is a problem. Unless the angle is wide then it isn't a problem. And if the angles are wide then you are dealing with force magnification on the sling which isn't good.

Idealy the second is best. Use strong webbing, two wraps but only have one wrap in the biner. That way it tightens itself against the FULL cicumference of the anchor.

Partner slacklinejoe

Oct 30, 2008, 4:33 AM
Post #11 of 16 (8673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
I disagree that biner crossloading is a problem.

And what exactly would you be saying to back that up? From our testing the further you load from the spine of the carabiner the earlier it will fail.

Carabiners have been broken while slacking in that scenario and not from the raw forces on the line.

milesenoell

Oct 31, 2008, 2:51 AM
Post #12 of 16 (8631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sharp bends in rope or webbing reduce the strength, and the stiffer the fibers the greater the reduction in strength. I'll have to look for the article but there was a report that girth hitching slings made of Spectra or Dyneema could severely reduce their strength and was thus warned against. The thinner the sling the sharper the angle and the greater the reduction in strength. The anchor setup in the left create sharper bends than the other, and I don't know if it would be enough to matter, but I'd go with the anchor on the right. Then there's the triaxial loading issue just to further clinch it.

milesenoell

Oct 31, 2008, 2:57 AM
Post #13 of 16 (8628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, found these. There are others, too.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=1467489

http://news.climbing.de/...-when-girth-hitched/

(This post was edited by milesenoell on Oct 31, 2008, 3:04 AM)

basilisk

Nov 1, 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #14 of 16 (8541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

None of these answer the OPs question.

Will loading the rope perpendicularly give it less strength?
Well, sort of.

Perhaps you've seen this diagram?

Normally this is for climbing anchors, but it applies for slacklines too. The closer you clip to the anchor (tree, etc) the wider the angle will be, and thus you'll lose strength in the rope. It's best if the anchor rope can extend out a but from the tree.

All that said, unless the rope is already damaged, the carabiner will probably fail before the rope.

milesenoell

Nov 3, 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #15 of 16 (8493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] anchor configurations for slackline and perpendicular forces across webbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

basilisk wrote:
None of these answer the OPs question.

Will loading the rope perpendicularly give it less strength?
Well, sort of.

Perhaps you've seen this diagram?

Normally this is for climbing anchors, but it applies for slacklines too. The closer you clip to the anchor (tree, etc) the wider the angle will be, and thus you'll lose strength in the rope. It's best if the anchor rope can extend out a but from the tree.

All that said, unless the rope is already damaged, the carabiner will probably fail before the rope.

How is that a better answer to the OP? For one, both configurations would be improved by your suggestion, and neither stands out as better or worse. For two, the increased forces are for a pair of anchor points rather than around one big anchor. The tree is not really in danger of being squeezed together the way two independent anchor points would be. I know the rope/webbing is still under increased stress, but as you acknowledged, the biner will likely fail first anyway.

basilisk

Nov 3, 2008, 3:55 AM
Post #16 of 16 (8476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like you understood my post perfectly.

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook