Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

rwaltermyer

Jun 4, 2003, 8:40 PM
Post #51 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering in PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jonestown!!???!!!?!?!
I'm from Jonestown, no bouldering here.

roclimb

Jun 4, 2003, 8:48 PM
Post #52 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats Johnstown near Altoona. Diferent Johnstown. Where the big flood was.

x2drich

Jun 4, 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #53 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With everyone throwing their opinions in on the best bouldering area in PA & MD, I'm just curious as to where people think Haycock Mtn. fits in with regard to quality and quantity of problems.

DJ

roclimb

Jun 4, 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #54 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive personally never been crazy about Haycock. There are some fun problems but its gritty and chossy in my opinion. I would not even rate it in the top 20. A lot of climbers love it though.
~Rob

rwaltermyer

Jun 4, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #55 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think alot of what is considered "GREAT" needs to keep in context:

for example, since I've moved to West Chester...not much rock out here, ANYTHING would suit me. From what I hear, Ralph Stover is a great example. The Philly locals seem to love it, but others don't understand why the heck they wasted their time to go there. But, to the Philly locals, its all they got, so sure its good.

Haycock may be the same way, I'm sure, I have the guide book, but have yet to get out there. But they are tons of climbs there, so I'd be surprised if i didnt like it there.

I think everyone's opinion is so subjective. Of course, everyone seems to be bias towards their rock, their bouldering spot, their.... Until you climb them all, I guess you're opinion doesnt really stand for much. But, in Rob's case, I respect his opinion, cuz, from I know. He's been EVERYWHERE!

God Bless.
randy

dontfall

Jun 5, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #56 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Supposedly, there is badass sandstone in SWPA...

Hunters?

tanderson

Jun 12, 2003, 1:16 AM
Post #57 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All right... I've had enough. I can't sit here any longer. There is TONS of bouldering in SWPA. It is of the highest quality found anywhere in the country. Sure its different stone than some of the mentioned areas, but its still great. That's what makes climbing fun (Variety). I've climbed all over the country. Having put in 10 years of climbing and development into SWPA. I feel strongly about the climbing here. I can say for sure that its as fun as anywhere I've climbed. There are bouldering areas with potential for 1000's of problems. I just havn't taken many folks there. Hardly anyone has the drive or ambition to get there. If you think the climbing here isn't any good, you're definately not going to the right places. I'm more than willing to show anyone the untapped, undeveloped areas. There's tons of routes and problems waiting to be done. All you gotta do is ask!

Happy Climbing,
Tim

edgelounger

Jun 17, 2003, 7:25 PM
Post #58 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wake the fok up! are y'all dellusion prone? pa, wv, md, va = Puuuure choss. all the lines have been done (in the early 70's) and most of those lines were all mossy, loose, contrived and needed extensive cleaning. motivation will only get you to more rohhdy covered excrement piles where another 2 hours of aggressive scrapping might yeild another boring sit-down start. loose shizznit all over the place. snakes. rats. spiders. drunken hillbillies.... mostly everything is slabby. except for the stuff with no holds. bad landings, bad attitudes, bad weather, bad crowds. the east sucks. swpa and wv in particular...

if i wasn't stuck in wv i would be doing some real climbing. like in califorinia or coloroado. do yourself a favor and don't bother with the low quality stone located anywhere near where i live...

roclimb

Jun 17, 2003, 9:05 PM
Post #59 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

come to my slide show this sat at wilkes rocks gym in wilkes barre PA. It will wake you up to all the stuff in PA thats as good as any boulders in the country!
~Rob

vanny37

Jun 17, 2003, 9:21 PM
Post #60 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
pa, wv, md, va = Puuuure choss

wake up man! there's some great climbing here! Especially WV!!! I can't believe you live in WV and don't enjoy the climbing... the new, seneca, summersville, nelsons? some incredible climbing just right there...

As for WPA, you have to go out and find it. There is nothing awe inspiring, huge or spectacular, but the many, small remote crags are quality climbing. tanderson will know the best out of all of us, but I grew up in WPA, I know there is decent climbing, just get off your @$$ and find it.

As for VA, I think its just underdeveloped. There are tons of rocks out in the woods all over the place, its just that the new and NC are so close, why go bushwhacking when you can drive.

Great climbing in lots of places, just go find it!

dbrayack

Jun 17, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #61 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OH BS, Pa has lots of quality climbing.

McConnells Mill features some high quality bouldering as well as top rope climbing.

Dunbar features a whole magnitude of quality sport climbing areas, see climpa's updated page at: www.climbpa.telerama.com That will point you in a good direction for climbing in SW pa.

Aelite mentioned Cooper's Rocks, which is some of the best bouldering in the country.

tanderson

Jun 18, 2003, 3:23 AM
Post #62 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edgelounger - Seeing that you've offered so much to the North American climbing community (laugh). Please enlighten us with your wisdom and experience as to why Colorado and California are better? How much time have you spent in SWPA? Just curious.

edgelounger

Jun 19, 2003, 4:56 PM
Post #63 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i spend most of my time driving or watching boulder videos...

tanderson

Jun 19, 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #64 of 64 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spend my time smoking crack and worshiping satan. You still don't have a clue! A bap bap bap bap bap! You've got the right idea though about the weather and the bouldering stuff. PA does suck and the sky is a deep color red in the morning (if you look at it just right). My time is spent reading posts by folks from all over the country and I admire you with everything you've mentioned about SHREK and his climbing abilities. Life is like a box of holds. You never know which one you're gonna grip.

Loved your other past posts. Need I say more?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook