RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

nwaclimber

Nov 10, 2003, 5:22 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

$$ vs Passion (Outdoor careers?)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A freshman college student asked me the other day if you could make money climbing. I obviously said, "No! There are about a dozen or so people that are good enough to make $ while climbing (Caldwell, Rodden, Sharma, Potter, etc) but they do it for the climb not for the money. Then I started wondering; what kind of curriculum would you study, and then what industry would be the most beneficial, financially, if you wanted to have a career that focused on outdoor venture activities and still make the rent (Ranger, engineer at Black Diamond, Retail...?) So, your thoughts and comments are wanted. Thanks!

mustclimb69

Nov 10, 2003, 5:25 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Re: $$ vs Passion (Outdoor careers?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I work in a retail store as the climbing guru making not much but get to meet climbers and talk climbing and meet reps and get deals.

I want to guide out west and will eventually reo BD or Metolious or Petzl
Loving it
Making rent but not by much

mike_ok

Nov 10, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't have to be a pro-sponsored climber to make money climbing... Check out the exum guides in the Tetons or comparable groups. Adventure guides for remote peaks make a living. Don't forget all the people who work in gear stores during the week and do guide services to the local crags on the weekends.

That being said, I'd look into being a ranger. I'm a degree nerd and am working on a masters that will lead into a phd, none of which has anything to do with rangering. However, I've looked into a number of programs that will do a joint phd in whatever plus a masters in forestry. Same type of programs with environmental studies. That will give you a phd for teaching during the year (which is a flexible schedule), and the ability to pick up a summer job as a ranger (which puts you in a park to climb/hike/backpack on your days off, and in the evenings).

Between the two jobs you'll make a decent amount of money. Save save save, and every 7th year or so you get a paid semester off from teaching, or half pay for a year off. You've saved up money, plus still have income, so you take a crazy expedition year.

It sounds good in my head... we'll see if it happens.

arostecrux

Nov 10, 2003, 5:37 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, there is only one thing we are all going to have...a day to die. What we do before that day comes, in the long run, doesn't matter does it? So if its up to us...why not do what you want -- GO CLIMB!. GIve up the bars and fast cars and trade the "security" that a boring ass job gives you and be alive climbin rocks.

I think there are very few people who are climbers who suffer from disease and cancer and all the other stuff that working all day with no play gives you....climbing is life....not climbing is death.

NWA...who are you? Stupid redneck arkansas climbers.....

jkarns

Nov 10, 2003, 5:38 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My opinion??

Any job in an outdoor retail store is WAAAAYYY more of a retail job than an outdoor job. I did it for a while and then realized that there was little that separated me from the folks who worked at the Gap. I liked the stuff I was selling; they liked the stuff they were selling. We both scurried around a box for most of the day.

From what I've heard, being an engineer for a climbing company is a lot like being an engineer for any other comapny (ie. you're not out climbing all the time).

I've worked a bunch as a guide. While it is enjoyable, it is very different from going out climbing. A lot more work, you'll spend A LOT of time taking groups toproping before you get those private instruction days with the clients that actually know something. Plus, if you do it long enough on a regular basis, going to the crags feels a whole lot like work, and who wants that?

Well, I'm currently sitting in front of a computer at my non-climbing job, but I'm making plenty of money to be able to go climbing on a regular basis and save some for that long-term road trip.

arostecrux

Nov 10, 2003, 5:41 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BUt seriously. Just don't get married. Don't buy your girlfriend stuff she doesn't need (and if she leaves then she was no good to begin with). If its just you, your rig, and a tank of gas here or there...well now any job can support the climbing lifestyle. If you are lucky you could land a job working in the outdoor field. Or if you get a degree and want to work during the off season, save your cash, and then climb half of the year...thats pretty tight too. Thats my plan. work 4 or 5 months while climbing plastic and then heading down to park the car for a couple of months at heuco or rilfe or somewhere to get stronger........

maculated

Nov 10, 2003, 6:08 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am back in school to teach college primarily because I want the 4 months off a year with flexibility and decent pay. I tried the two jobs/climbing a lot, but i also need to feed my brain.

dingus

Nov 10, 2003, 6:28 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Teching and medicine are old school ways to find a job in a rural town and have ample time off to climb. Other small town jobs:

Law (sheriff, cop, prison guard, lawyer, judge, clerk)

Civil Engineer

Public servant

Gigilo

Short order cook

real estate

Pilot

Ski lift operator

DMT

gravitytheory

Nov 10, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be an author. Or an inventor. You can make lots of money and have your own schedule.

rvega

Nov 10, 2003, 6:39 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being a scientist has great outdoor benefits. My work and my partner's work have taken us all over the world. We've been to almost every continent on "business" and well if you take a few days before and after you have a bonus vacation that your works partially pays for (your airline tickets). We've been to South America, Antarctica (him not me), New Zealand, and we going to Africa and Europe this coming year. We are also going skiing in Colorado this winter. There are lots of jobs that give you an opportunity to mix work and outdoor play. Plus being an academic lets you schedule your time differently than most 9-5 jobs. Granted you have a tendency to work very long and demanding hours when you are at work. But if you enjoy it its hard to beat!

dynoguy

Nov 10, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get a degree in Forest Recreation Resource Management, then get a job at a park that has places to climb. Thats what I'm doing.

wonderwoman

Nov 10, 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been toying with the idea of combining my passions of climbing and the environment, but neither of those involve much $!

For the past 6 years I have been a campaign organizer for various environmnental and social justice groups. I recently met someone who is living my dream! She started a women's health and environmental group that simultaneously runs outdoor leadership programs for at risk teenage girls. So basically, the group works to protect the environment, protect women's exposure to toxic chemicals and the impact it has on reproductive health, and empowers young girls who don't normally have an opportunity to get outside and do something good for themselves like climb.

I've been looking into grant money to see if I can start something like this in a few years. Of course it would not be designed to 'make money' but it would combine a lot of my passions and as long as I'm not starving - I'm a happy woman!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook