Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Partner booger

Jun 9, 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #26 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Re: European climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've climbed and bouldered with a bunch of different nationalaties

Socialclimber, an interesting observation, and I agree with it, as I agree with what Heiko was saying.

And, regarding the bouldering... I found that at Fontainebleau, and in bouldering circles in general, the atmosphere is a lot friendlier. Of course hanging out, working on problems together, (ahem... smoking... stuff 8^) ) etc. bolsters that.

At FB, for instance, you'll find groups of Japanese, Americans, etc. (see your list above) all hanging out together, laughing, sharing mats, working a problem. Maybe it's the stress level at the base of a crag (preparing for multi-pitch, whatever) that changes the atmosphere... just a thought...

On a side note... boy, did we hi-jack this thread... sorry about that!

Partner tisar

Jun 9, 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #27 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... The difference is, They came to my country. I figure the process of traveling all the way around the world to New Zealand must filter out the arse holes because there wouldn't be one of them who I wouldn't climb with again.

There's some truth in that. For most of the people leaving their country (I don't talk about the typical tourist here) means also accepting that there's different people, different cultures, different points of view. That might sort out a lot.
Sharing the rope might add something special too - you sure give that person a second glance before you trust your life to her/him.

- Daniel

swisslady

Jun 9, 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #28 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Re: fd [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know a Dane--that's about it.

WOW, Denmark is flat! Are you sure he climbs?

socialclimber

Jun 9, 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #29 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And, regarding the bouldering... I found that at Fontainebleau, and in bouldering circles in general, the atmosphere is a lot friendlier. Of course hanging out, working on problems together, (ahem... smoking... stuff 8^) ) etc. bolsters that....

Thats the way it is at Castle Hill too. Walk in there by yourself and end up bouldering with six complete strangers for the day.

In reply to:
On a side note... boy, did we hi-jack this thread... sorry about that!

No need to apologise I think. This thread was a bit of a dog til someone accused the French of being arrogant. Now it's worth coming back to :)

Partner booger

Jun 9, 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #30 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, so let's turn it around. I'd like to hear what impressions you all have of Americans climbing in Europe! And/or, impressions you got while climbing in America...

:idea: OH- Another thing I'd like to add is that the whole concept of the "refugio" kicks ass! I'm not sure they'd work in America... :?:

socialclimber

Jun 9, 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #31 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I know a Dane--that's about it.

WOW, Denmark is flat! Are you sure he climbs?

From what I can gather, Danes climb in Sweden or indoors.

In any case, Danes who like to climb isn't as funny as Swiss who like to surf. Especally when he still lives in Switzerland. :lol:

deafclimber

Jun 9, 2005, 1:02 PM
Post #32 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have met germans, brazilians, koreans, dutches, and french climbers... we use our body gestures to commuicate. it was fun to climb with them in different times. i did not have a problem with german people. they welcomed me and we shared the routes together. it was fun ! most friendly foreign climbers were germans and a brazil couple.

Partner tisar

Jun 9, 2005, 1:32 PM
Post #33 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, so let's turn it around. I'd like to hear what impressions you all have of Americans climbing in Europe!

I've been climbing with a girl from Berkley and a guy from Missouri - both of them I met through rc.com and both were really nice people I'd love to see again (which might happen, at least she comes back to Germany in August).

Sophia was more or less a gym rat but more my age so we spent a lot of time besides climbing, discussing politics, visited concerts and stuff. She was very open hearted and interested. What can I say? Cool person!

Steve was a little older and real outside guy who impressed me deeply by his calm and unpretentious character. He wasn't the most experienced climber also, so we had a great time learning from each other. Unfortunatly we couldn't spend more time together before he went back, but maybe I'll visit him once. He's at a mountaineering class on Denali right now... He'll be hell of a mountain guide when finished. Calmness, balls, judgement - I'd follow him whereever he leads me.

Besides that I've come to know a lot of Americans who weren't climbers. Some of them strange (like carrying a bible to a carneval party), but most were fine people. Why shouldn't they :wink:

- Daniel

Partner booger

Jun 9, 2005, 1:48 PM
Post #34 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
a guy from Missouri

I'd bet a bunch of Euros that I know him... I lived in St. Louis for 5 years before moving back here, and the climbing community there is pretty small! :)

Anyway, glad to know we haven't made a bad impression on you.

There were some American girls at my gym this week and they were "like totally freaking out" :wink: about the co-ed changing room. Unfortunately, they were doing it a lot louder than I did (I slunk away to the bathroom the first few times I saw Belgian boys in their underwear). :oops:

"Like oh my gawd, I'm totally not changing here" (giggle, giggle).

:roll:

Originally I was going to pretend I was European :wink: , but it was embarassing enough for me that I finally (as quietly as possible and with as little American accent as possible...ahem....) directed them to the girls only (read: American prude) changing room. :lol:

Partner tisar

Jun 9, 2005, 1:52 PM
Post #35 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There were some American girls at my gym this week and they were "like totally freaking out" :wink: about the co-ed changing room. Unfortunately, they were doing it a lot louder than I did (I slunk away to the bathroom the first few times I saw Belgian boys in their underwear). :oops:

Uh oh, never let them visit our gym and the 'co-ed' sauna :lol: In fact I was pretty impressed that Sophia took it as given, would've thought she at least commented.

- Daniel

Partner booger

Jun 9, 2005, 2:05 PM
Post #36 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CO-ED sauna in the climbing gym... AWESOME :!: :!:

...when can I visit? :lol:

Anyway, one of the ironic things I find about Germans is how closed they are in every respect EXCEPT when it comes to bodies, sex, etc. Paolo75 can testify ... we had a very sleepless night in Arco in April because a young German couple was staying down the hall (lucky them!). Seriously, it was more fun listening to them than watching Italian tv at midnight!

ikefromla

Jun 9, 2005, 2:19 PM
Post #37 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is this thread at all about euro climbers anymore? haha i don't even know if i should reply after that last one.

I've climbed with climbers from all over europe, never had an unpleasant experience... well that's kind of a lie, ran into one French asshole.. but that was him, not his nationality. Two young German climbers actually stayed with me in my home for about two weeks last summer, to climb at mt charleston, during a 10 month round-the-world climbing trip. they pulled down and were nothing but fun.

paolo75

Jun 9, 2005, 2:48 PM
Post #38 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyway, one of the ironic things I find about Germans is how closed they are in every respect EXCEPT when it comes to bodies, sex, etc. Paolo75 can testify ... we had a very sleepless night in Arco in April because a young German couple was staying down the hall (lucky them!). Seriously, it was more fun listening to them than watching Italian tv at midnight!

M-Y G-O-D! I was so scared! I thought about some kind of frightening ghosts.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

By the way, I can't talk about European climbers (since, obviously I am European as well and I don't want to lose friends.... :wink: ), but I can talk about Americans (so I can lose my partner :lol: :lol: ).
I climbed a lot with Americans, here in Europe as in the Us. And I have to say that Americans are ways better than Europeans on the crag....more respectfull of the "living space" and of the environment in general....and more relaxed. :wink:

Partner tisar

Jun 9, 2005, 2:55 PM
Post #39 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
CO-ED sauna in the climbing gym... AWESOME :!: :!:

...when can I visit? :lol:

Anytime! Would propose winter though as sauna at 30C outside isn't that much of a teaser :lol:

In reply to:

I think the Germans just gave in the fact that at the average level of alcohol abuse it's hardly possible to hide those instincts... just a guess.

- Daniel

cracknut

Jun 9, 2005, 2:58 PM
Post #40 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was climbing in the Bugaboos a couple of years ago. There were some european climbers there including a two french guys. We were pretty friendly with everyone in the area but those french guys would not even give us a nod. I chalked it up to nothing more than a language barrier.

A few days later we ran into them at the base of the Becky-Chuinard. We let them get a couple of pitches up before we started climbing. They still would not talk to us so I was convinced they didn't speak english. Due to some route finding errors (I forgot the topo), my partner and I spent a VERY cold night on the 14th pitch. We had no bivy gear, food or water. Only those who have been there can say "man-cuddling" without snickering.

When we arrived at our tent late the next day we were exhausted. We passed the french guys and they looked as bad as we did. When they saw us they jumped up yelling "hey, you made it, that was a crazy night". They were all handshakes and hugs. It turns out they had also been benighted but they were stuck at the top. Not being able to find the rappell anchors in the dark they had to sit out a hell of a cold windy night at the summit.

They really opened up after that. Obviously communication was never the problem. All it took was one shared experience to turn a couple of pricks into cool guys.

Partner booger

Jun 9, 2005, 3:14 PM
Post #41 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
M-Y G-O-D! I was so scared! I thought about some kind of frightening ghosts....

:lol: It's so true... it definitely wasn't a 'normal' sounding ... coitus...

But I digress.

In reply to:
All it took was one shared experience to turn a couple of pricks into cool guys.

Cracknut has the absolute right idea, and I think it (sorta) ties in to some of the things we said above. A bunch of American climbers has one thing in common together... being American. European climbers at crags have no idea from one to the next where they're from, so they don't say much...
Well, it's a theory, anyway!

Partner heiko

Jun 9, 2005, 3:35 PM
Post #42 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, so let's turn it around. I'd like to hear what impressions you all have of Americans climbing in Europe!

My impression is that they're overly fond of sharing their thoughts with a larger audience. hehehe :wink:

astur

Jun 9, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #43 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi to all, well, i work in a camping site, and it's full of people from all over the world all year around. I don't thing people behave depending on where they are from. Besides it's curious to realize that there situations that can be repeated every year in different people from the same country. For example.... Italians, every bunch of Italian guys arriving in a motor home will always ask the same question.... which is the place where the beautiful girls are so to camp next to them???? ..... Duch and Germans (grandpas and old ones) every time they camp near each other they can't spend 2 days without getting into a fight (not the real one, just shouting and so) they still remember the 2nd world war, but the new generations just don't care..... English, they are on their own, and share pub time and thing with other English.
I climbed with Americans, Canadians, Belgium's, french, and Korean, and never have a bad experience. The climbing community here in Spain usually are nice people, you can share good laugh and stories in a camp, and it's very unusual if you cross your way with someone in the mountain and don't say hi or even talk a bit.
From my point of view, there are not bad or good country men, just bad or good people, like in every elsewhere.

samuel

Jun 9, 2005, 4:54 PM
Post #44 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing is for sure: Europe is not one country, and I don't want to be mixed up with the arrogant French, the bad-tempered/don juan Italians and Spaniards, the very noisy English or the closed-up Germans :) (Norwegians are probably even worse)

If I would have to say something in general about people from the US, I would say that they are pretty outgoing - for good and bad. Easier to get both positive and negative feedback.
On the other hand, there are probably lots of people in the US who aren't as outgoing.
Go visit some hillbillies and find out.

As for climbers, I've mostly had good experiences with all nationalities.
About population: Germany is pretty dense, but many other countries aren't. (and we get busloads of German tourists)

socialclimber

Jun 10, 2005, 7:03 AM
Post #45 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Great thread! I love disecting steriotypes. All my climbing partners are Yanks. Except for the ones who are German (or at least are German speakers). I'm the token Kiwi. All of us are pretty layed back individuals so everyone gets along just fine. These guys don't seem to pocess the steriotypical bad American traits, all of them kind, open minded and always willing.

Myself and the most of Yanks love to climb trad. The Euros clean trad. :D an amusing observation is: The concept of jamming body parts into cracks in order to climb them seems quite lost on our Germans. They do try though. They are quite at home on a sport route of course and love the bouldering here.

Partner booger

Jun 10, 2005, 7:13 AM
Post #46 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The concept of jamming body parts into cracks in order to climb them seems quite lost on our Germans.

:lol: That's awesome! ...Actually, I must admit, it's quite lost on me, too! :lol:

In reply to:
My impression is that they're overly fond of sharing their thoughts with a larger audience. hehehe

Heiko, you should know by now that my brain has a direct and filterless communion with my mode of expression... thus the "swearing while hiking, singing while climbing". Be happy ... at least I can't hurt anybody's ears online! :wink:

overlord

Jun 10, 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #47 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Myself and the most of Yanks love to climb trad. The Euros clean trad. :D an amusing observation is: The concept of jamming body parts into cracks in order to climb them seems quite lost on our Germans. They do try though. They are quite at home on a sport route of course and love the bouldering here.

ditto that. were used to more "diverse" climbs here. but trad isnt just cracks, put those germans onto a more euro like trad climb and im sure theyll nail it.

socialclimber

Jun 10, 2005, 12:11 PM
Post #48 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are good with any knd of face climbing really. It's only when the best or sometimes only way to move forward is by jamming that they have trouble. Maybe there is not much chance for jamming in Germany. It takes some commitment to trust your body weight on a fist jam. A bit scary at first. But they will get it. Just another tecnique to practice.

lucas_timmer

Jun 10, 2005, 12:52 PM
Post #49 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

No Subject [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know anyone who ISN'T European.

sypher2049

Jun 10, 2005, 1:43 PM
Post #50 of 145 (14530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am an American that has only climbed in Europe, learning from Europeans. So what does that make me? An AmeriEuro. :wink:

And the only climbers I know are Europeans!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook