RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

icedr

Sep 11, 2005, 9:19 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1900 views)
Shortcut

building a fireplace that doubles as a climbing wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am an avid climber building a new house with a stone fireplace. I am looking for information on building a masonry fireplace that can be used as a climbing wall. I plan to use both sides, i.e. indoor/outdoor. Any suggestions/ideas/plans or some who has done it would be helpful. I would also like to have an anchor at the top for top roping beginners.

Thanks for and suggestions and/or help. :?:

mrtristan

Sep 11, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Re: building a fireplace that doubles as a climbing wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't really help you, but dang that's a good idea...

-Tristan

Partner ctardi

Sep 11, 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Talk to the builder, as there will have to be major structeral modifications made between it and a regular fire place.

Then, you will have to tell the mason what to do...

cintune

Sep 12, 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It'll need lots of insulation between the flue and the climbing surface. That will make it the fireplace itself deeper than average. A second stone shell built around the real chimney would probably work. Granite would probably be advisable. It is a great idea.

salamanizer

Sep 12, 2005, 5:37 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Build it out of real stone re-enforced with rebar. Costly, but a bulldozer would break a sweat knockin that thing down.

double

Sep 12, 2005, 6:22 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think your typical stone fireplace will be fine for climbing. There's a hostel in Jasper with a chimney that doubles as a climbing wall and it is nothing special. Just some slings over the top. I'd be careful to build an anchor that doesn't create too much outward force, maybe chains looped over the top or something fancier built in. I wouldn't think you should lead climb it however, as bolts may put way too much stress on individual stones. Would be costly to fix if one busted out. And don't worry about extra insulation. The fireplace gets used for only a few months of the year, and when it is in use, it should be warm enough on the outside to climb in the cold. Have you considered adding inserts so you can bolt on additional holds to change the route?

jacojone

Sep 12, 2005, 6:50 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb on my fireplace at home, and it was not built in any special manner.

I do recall reading in one of those country living/house decorating magazines about a million dollar home in colorado with a really well done rock chimney with subtle holds placed on all three side. I think there were auto belays at the top too. Wish I had more information. Good luck.

skinner

Sep 12, 2005, 7:50 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We did exactly this on a friends house.
With help from a stone mason, we built a 35' dry-packed slate chimney. Slate was the obvious choice because it was readily available at the cuts that had been blasted for the main road into the area.
Dry packed was awesome because it looked almost natural with no mortar showing, and the slate made it super easy to create what ever size of hold you wanted.

We added stainless steel anchors that he had made in his shop (metal worker by trade) so you could lead it, and rather large ring anchors on 3 sides if you wanted to top rope. He powder coated the anchors a close match to the slate, but after about 6 months of clipping it chipped off, but only on the bottom of the anchors so it really didn't look all that bad.

On the longest (straight) side of the chimney we over estimated our abilities, or underestimated the hold size when eyeballing things into place, so it pretty much ended up an aid route.
The vertical gaps between the slate takes small wires like a dream, but the micro holds broke when we tried using hooks.. oooops!

I have a ton pictures of it through all phases of construction.. somewhere, I'll try to dig them up.

It's and awesome idea though, especially if you have access to a "free" source of good rock (and you are not in a hurry)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook