Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wiegs

Aug 9, 2002, 5:09 PM
Post #26 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

"Woman-Climbing" and "Man-Climbing" – Sexism: Where Did It A [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This has been a difficult thread to even skim MetoliusMunchkin, drop the legal-ese! While using very precise language can make your point more clear, and give you greater leverage in arguments, incorrectly used words can only confuse your readers. You seem like a smart kid. It is not always necessary to use the biggest words you can find. Many times it is better to be clear and concise with your language. You don't want to make it seem like you used the thesaurus to write your post, as a thesaurus can be a useful tool, but only if you understand the words. This is not meant to be a flame, just trying to help....

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 9, 2002, 5:15 PM
Post #27 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thesaurus? Bah! I never use those!

wiegs

Aug 9, 2002, 5:27 PM
Post #28 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never said you did. But you understand the point of my post, correct?

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 9, 2002, 5:32 PM
Post #29 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is not the place for such a discussion. For further talks, private message me. Leave this thread to it's topic!

rocknalaska

Aug 9, 2002, 7:45 PM
Post #30 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metmunchkin: When I asked what comment started off the sexism topic, I meant while you and your friend were watching the video, What was said(or seen) that made you start to think about this topic??

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 10, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #31 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Todd (rocknalaska) wrote:
Quote:Metmunchkin: When I asked what comment started off the sexism topic, I meant while you and your friend were watching the video, What was said(or seen) that made you start to think about this topic??

Ah yes, I see now. Excuse me for my misinterpretation. My friend and I were watching a taped episode of an unpopular climbing show on the Outdoor Life Network. This one episode featured two female climbers whose specialties were El Cap crack climbing. One of them made particular sequences which included a manoeuvre where she was in the "splits" position.

There were of course many more of such elasticized manoeuvres made between the two climbers. Finally it sparked a comment.

My friend who sat next to me blatantly proclaimed; "No man could ever do that. Woman climbers are just so much more flexible, it's unreal. I bet Sharma couldn't pull off a move like that! Reminds me of [insert female climber here]..." My friend had gone on to say other things, yet I cannot remember them.

The discussion basically commenced in this way, ended in a heated debate, and ultimately lead to the creation of this thread.

pumpkin_man

Aug 10, 2002, 10:34 PM
Post #32 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 12, 2002, 12:58 AM
Post #33 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arthur, glad you're showing your great enthusiasm against sexism!

wildtrail

Aug 12, 2002, 1:33 AM
Post #34 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, Pat. I was just thinking. In my latest compliment to your ability to manipulate the written word, there is still one thing. You are a very smart kid, but that is what you are. A kid. Don't take offense to that statement, but it is true. Now, you raise some very good questions, but being only 13, there is a lot about men and women you don't know. I'm sure you are aware of that. However, the fact remains the same. At 13, men and women and sexism shouldn't even be a part of your daily world. You haven't experienced enough to really know anything about it, nor have you walked in an independant person's shoes in which, the world opens up and shows its true colors. You haven't had a commitment, a marriage, a divorce, a live-in partner, a full time job, or come face to face with the responsibities an independant adult faces. Until then, I would speculate that certain opinions you hold are influenced by the adults around you. As is the case with any child, kid, adolescent, and often young adults in college. We all go through that and it does shape and mould who we become. We change constantly. We are also continually influenced by those around us as adults, however, we are not as impressionable as adults and already possess a more defined sense of who we are.

Sexism is only an idealism and its definition doesn't suit its existence. It can be summed up, but never answered. There are too many view points and opinions and can be philosophized until wit's end. And, still never explain or satisfy its meaning or existence.

Sexism is something that can't be answered, or even "nailed" down to one location. Where and when it started, we will never know and stopping, it never will (unfortunately).

There is, however, one benefit about the fact that sexism will always exist. I feel that it has caused women to stand up for themselves, be proud of who they are, the struggles their gender has endured, and completes their being. They strive and fail equally, now. Only the small minded find that women are the "weaker sex". This can't be. They are stronger emotionally and capable of a wider prism of emotions and control the balance of life with the most wonderful gift one can be given. The ability to create life.

So, Pat. In conclusion, I think you should concern yourself more with your climbing, your friends, and your studies. Most importantly, your studies. You are a smart person, and will only improve upon that. I would recommend you save that wit until you have experienced enough of life to let the levy break on these subjects.

Steve

[ This Message was edited by: wildtrail on 2002-08-11 18:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: wildtrail on 2002-08-11 18:36 ]

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 12, 2002, 2:47 AM
Post #35 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I would feel somewhat "left out" however, if I should let this come to pass. Opinions are like...everybody has them. Not a problem.

adrenaline_smack

Jul 25, 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #36 of 36 (3963 views)
Shortcut

hmm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

expierences tell me that women, due to physiological differences DO NOT ALWAYS have the upper body strength that men posses. I can think of a particular v1 boulder problem at my school gym, almost a roof problem. ive seen countless men and women do the same problem, amongst the woman that send it, they tend to be more graceful, calm, controlled and static in their approach, in short, they rely almost entirely on form to complete the route (albeit form being the proper way) where as most of the men, bar a few of the most skilled, just muscle their way through, (myself included) slapping and banging our feet around. we dont need the form work on this particular route because we are strong enough to climb without it.

the point im getting at is this. amongst the woman and high level men, they show a common trait, good form, amongst men, i believe good formed is learned through a desire for efficiency, amongst the better woman climbers i know its learned because its the best option based upon the strength and mindframe for crux solving they have at their disposal.
my interpretation, of my expierences

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook