RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Partner missedyno

Nov 24, 2005, 4:03 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut

WVa climbing in early Dec
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be embarking on a road trip pretty soon, and I'd like to spend a few days in WV.

question is, is it generally too cold to climb that time of the year? I'm looking at Dec 12-14.

considering coopers rock or maybe the New.

next question is who's available to hook up, if the weather allows. otherwise i'll just post a question asking for beta on bouldering in coopers or the New.

drkayak

Nov 24, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Re: WVa climbing in early Dec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WInter weather in WV is very variable. If you catch a warm day you can climb in the sun. The New guide book has recomdations for sunny winter day climbing walls.

I have another question for you Charleston WV locals... There is a good size wall/quary when you hit Charleston coming down I79 from the north. Anything developed there? Like for after work climbing when you can't make it to the New? How about road cuts that are set back far enough that the Highway Patrol would not bust you.

I'm thinking about moving back home after 20 years in CA. Just interest in all the climbing options.

Thanks

mflanigan

Nov 29, 2005, 7:08 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up in WV. Now I'm in Taos, NM and am moving soon to Asheville, NC. The New is a lower elevation, but if its snowing in Morgantown it's most likely it's raining or snowing at the New. But, it's hit and miss. I lived in Morgantown and bouldered in December a lot. Pionner Rocks, Darnell Hollow, Coopers, Leaning Tree all those places rocked on a cold day with good friction. Plus Motown is a cool scene if you go to the right places. Hit me back if you have any questions.

nrgroscoe

Nov 29, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live here in fayetteville and when the sun is out, regardless of temp it is really nice. We put up 4 new routes at summersville (whipperwill) this weekend. 2 trad 2 sport with miles more to go,.. so come check it out...

mflanigan

Nov 29, 2005, 7:21 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up in charleston and climbed a ton at the New. If Asheville doesn't pan out we may look in Fayetville. Do you like living there. What do you do?

wjca

Nov 29, 2005, 8:09 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're interested in Seneca, the east face (full sun in the morning) would be quite enjoyable on the right day in December. On the wrong day, it could suck.

Partner missedyno

Nov 30, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks kindly. now who's actually available dec 12 & 13? otherwise i'll just hike around in the new and check out hawk's nest.

actually, i wouldn't mind going to hawk's nest with someone who knows the area.

dec 12 & 13 ... post up...

freefall

Dec 15, 2005, 4:04 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well take it for what it's worth but I went climbing at Seneca last Sat. following a 6 inch snow storm. It was 14 deg. when we arrived but the sky was clear. We went up the first pitch of Thais and then hopped on the top 3 pitches of Pleasent Overhangs. Great climb and about as "alpine" as your going to get in the southeast. My toes are still thawing out...So the question isn't is there climbing in Dec in WVA but how commited are You to climbing in Dec. in WVA. Good luck.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook