RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

yggdrasil71687

Feb 7, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #1 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

phoenix boulder blast 06'
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know if its going to happen? I heard that it got cancelled in 2005. I was really looking forward to going this year, so I hope it is up and running this year.

Partner phaedrus

Feb 7, 2006, 8:34 PM
Post #2 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Events & Gatherings.

mikej

Feb 8, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #3 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Re: phoenix boulder blast 06' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard yes and no from people who know Greg and others who set up the comp. There probably wont be any new problems if they do. If this keeps happening, we're just going to do something ourselves. Maybe something like the phlapper fest plus competition?

tradrak

Feb 8, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #4 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently some sponsors had contacted Jim Waugh about the probability of having a contest this year, but I haven't heard much since. Greg mentioned that it would be difficult to put together a contest with such short notice, considering it's usually organized throughout the year.

sidepull

Feb 8, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #5 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's a shame. I moved to phoenix last year - maybe I brought bad Karma and I'm killing the tradition.

please, please, please bring back the boulderblast!

bighigaz

Feb 14, 2006, 3:01 PM
Post #6 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does this years... non-event... have anything to do with the mining and access issues?! What else would be causing the problem? It doesn't seem that participation and sponsorship should be an issue...

It's really disappointing that we're missing out on the PBB 2 years in a row!

If location is the problem... gulp... maybe we should convince the organizers to hold it in another location?

Just trying to get some rallying behind the issue...

Partner bill

Feb 14, 2006, 3:22 PM
Post #7 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does this years... non-event... have anything to do with the mining and access issues?! What else would be causing the problem?

There aren't any access issues at QC right now, it's business as usual.

bighigaz

Feb 14, 2006, 3:29 PM
Post #8 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Does this years... non-event... have anything to do with the mining and access issues?! What else would be causing the problem?

There aren't any access issues at QC right now, it's business as usual.

Okay, that's good to hear, at least there's some time left for the locals!

Mean time, what IS the cause of the problem? Is there anything us zonies can do to help, besides promissing to be there?

I, for one, would be glad to sponsor a booth... And I could probably find a couple more Tucson businesses that would do the same...

It's probably too late for this year... but I say give it a go, or at LEAST start getting ready for 07...

mikej

Feb 14, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #9 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is what i have heard within the last week. There isn't going to be a PBB this year and possibly not again. One of the big problems was the mine wanted to sponsor the event and the city of superior (who supplies porto poopers and generators) wanted the mine to be a sponsor as well. The PBB guys of course weren't cool with that as it is like inviting your high school principal to a kegger. Nobody wants the bad guy there. City didn't like that they wouldn't allow the mine to sponsor, so no poopers or generators, which means trying to rent that stuff and bring it from phoenix, which meant too much money. On top of this, local companies told big companies they wouldn't sell their stuff anymore if they kept selling cheap gear at the comp. One big tragedy if you ask me. I thank the guys for their effort, but at the same time, we all want it back. Me and some others were thinking of doing a get-to-gether anyways. Not a pbb, or comp, but hanging out, climbing, and maybe a raffle. If anyone has any ideas, shoot them my way, pm me or something.

sidepull

Feb 14, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #10 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shouldn't we be more willing to work with the mine (and superior for that matter) if this is going to be a long term relationship? is there anything more substantive than the somewhat sophmoric sentiment of "not wanting your principal at the kegger?" I think at this point we need to stop looking at the mine as the enemy and instead look at is as more of a partner otherwise the whole truce we currently have will inevitably erode.

mikej

Feb 14, 2006, 5:02 PM
Post #11 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull,
I definitely agree with you,"I think at this point we need to stop looking at the mine as the enemy and instead look at is as more of a partner otherwise the whole truce we currently have will inevitably erode." I'm just trying to get across what i heard. I'd be fine with the mine being a part of it, but i don't know how the climbing community would react. I'm not a part of the event anyways, so i don't have any say. I wish they could see a way to negotiate this out. I was upset about the whole thing at first, but then someone made a good point that never before when someone has taken a climbing area has there been an offer to replace it. Thats a big step and we should be grateful.

sidepull

Feb 14, 2006, 7:58 PM
Post #12 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we're on the same page. I'm sorry if that came across as an attack.

I guess I really just wanted to highlight that the attitude that the mine is the enemy doesn't really help us at this point, particularly if the mine is trying to co-sponsor one of our events.

mikej

Feb 14, 2006, 8:34 PM
Post #13 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey sidepull,
no problem, i didnt take offense in the first place, i know where you're coming from.

lindajft

Feb 15, 2006, 3:22 PM
Post #14 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey if you get a group together to climb, raffle, whatever.......I'll volunteer my photography and bring some climbing friends.
Let me know
Linda

www.visualvirtue.com/linda

md3

Feb 15, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #15 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I understand, there are still many unresolved issues surrounding obtaining access to the new sight, what areas will remain open around the mine and perhaps, in some ways the validity of the methods used to open previously designated protected land for mining, both in this instance and as precedent for others. I would suggest that anyone who is interested in this area or access issues in general read the related threads.

It seems to me that keeping the bouldering competition going in some manner woiuld be one of the best ways to maintain public interest in both the area and the issues. Even if the problems mentioned above would make it impossible to have an event similar to those in the past, I think we should have something. Perhaps the Access Fund should be involved. And why not have the mining company sponsor part of the event so long as they don’t object to using the event as a forum for information and open debate on the issues?

Although Jim W. has done a huge amount of work in the past putting together new routes every year, I don’t think that would necessarily be required for a less formal bouldering event.

mikej

Feb 15, 2006, 7:53 PM
Post #16 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, md3 is right about the access to the new area. Check out www.climbtamo.com, there's some info and pics there. Looks like a great area, and I'm told the bouldering there is actually pretty good. The climbing is on state or public land, but the access or road to the area includes private land that wasn't up for sale. Thanks lindajft for volunteering. Someone to photo the weekend would be great. Maybe we can get the pics up on the arizona bouldering site. I would like to shoot for the weekend of April 15th. maybe get out on friday night and have the main gathering saturday and stay saturday night? I'll try to get a campground permit. What does anyone think, The phoenix phlapper fest campground, or at the campground on roadside above euro dog? Either would be fine. I'll get the permit, just give me some input.

sidepull

Feb 15, 2006, 8:15 PM
Post #17 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say that we should still try to make the PBB a big thing.

Why not get the mine involved and kick the whole partnership off right?

We don't need new problems.

Mid-april seems to be plenty of time to pull things together and get a good turnout.

I know that I'm ignoring a whole lot of logistical things and these are grand oversimplifications but I have this lurking fear* that if we don't do something that demonstrates how many people are really invested in using the area then all of our arguments for keeping the land open seem like a lot of hot air. I think as a climbing community (and this includes sponsors) we need to pull together and use this as a statement - get some good stories in the mags.

*note the heavy handed reference - I'm just not very clever anymore :(

Thoughts?

mikej

Feb 15, 2006, 8:40 PM
Post #18 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely take your stance sidepull, but I've already talked with some of the older and wiser in the climbing community and they seem to think that it is too much to pull off now. Maybe organize a small comp still, but even that may be difficult. Have to go out and select and area, rate problems, get together waivers and have everyone participating sign and pay entry, get volunteers for judges, get prizes and more. I'm shooting low and hoping we can do more. I want to do more than just a hang out and raffle, but no doubt go all out next year. Start negotiating things now and if we can pull off more for this year, great. I don't really have the funds to front too much of cost for renting generators or lights for staging area or personally have enough contacts to get well sponsored. I know some people at local shops, gyms and small climbing organizations, but that's about it. I'll fully use my resources, but right now, its just me and a friend. I can probably come together with waivers too, but they would probably have to be signed at the beginning of an event along with $ on entry. Like i said though, I'm shooting low and if enough interest and help is generated, maybe it will turn out to be more than just a chill fest.

jaybro

Feb 15, 2006, 9:35 PM
Post #19 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it doesn't happen this year that's probably it, for the reasons mikej and sidepull stated.

It definitely got too big, but I'll still miss it.

sidepull

Feb 15, 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #20 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, maybe it's better off as a festival sort of thing without the comp, waivers, fees, etc.

I wouldn't expect you to try to pull something huge like that off on your own - I would just assume that the climbing community at large would be willing to step in and help out given the enormous amount of tradition. It's just sad to see something die so quickly.

mikej

Feb 16, 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #21 of 21 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, thats why im doing something about it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook