Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

bucknasty

Aug 20, 2007, 9:02 PM
Post #1 of 16 (4751 views)
Shortcut

New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, the title sums it up. I found a nice place up on the mountain behind my house to climb, and I knew the guy who owned it and the right-of-way to it, and he'd let me climb, but he sold it, because he's a crack fiend and lives a "10k a week lifestyle". The new owner, Nobody in my fam has met, but I hear he's pretty chill. Any persuasive words to try to get him to let me up on the rocks, and maybe get it open to the public, or know which direction to point me? Thanks!

slablizard

Aug 20, 2007, 9:25 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bucknasty] New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bucknasty wrote:
Well, the title sums it up. I found a nice place up on the mountain behind my house to climb, and I knew the guy who owned it and the right-of-way to it, and he'd let me climb, but he sold it, because he's a crack fiend and lives a "10k a week lifestyle". The new owner, Nobody in my fam has met, but I hear he's pretty chill. Any persuasive words to try to get him to let me up on the rocks, and maybe get it open to the public, or know which direction to point me? Thanks!

Kindly ask him while cleaning your 45? A heavy accent might help too...
I'll make you an offer...you can't refuse my friend...

majid_sabet

Aug 20, 2007, 9:44 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lets say you own the land and some rat came and asked if he could boulder in your property but then he fell and his MOM sued you !!!!

ohh fu8k it , climbers are not that as8hole to sue in AMERICA

bent_gate

Aug 20, 2007, 9:59 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously, I would bring him a welcome to the neighborhood box of cookies, with a Welcome to the Neighborhood, We're Glad your Here! on behalf of yourself, parents if appropriate, and the rest of the neighborhood. Don't ask for anything right away. After you get to know him, it will be easier to work it out. When you do bring it up, I suggest talking about how much you used to like hiking, scrambling around that area. I would avoid the word cllimbing. Good luck!

(This post was edited by bent_gate on Aug 20, 2007, 10:00 PM)

brewer19

Aug 20, 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:
Seriously, I would bring him a welcome to the neighborhood box of cookies, with a Welcome to the Neighborhood, We're Glad your Here! on behalf of yourself, parents if appropriate, and the rest of the neighborhood. Don't ask for anything right away. After you get to know him, it will be easier to work it out. When you do bring it up, I suggest talking about how much you used to like hiking, scrambling around that area. I would avoid the word cllimbing. Good luck!

I agree with this aproach; however, i would use beer instead of cookies.

Banks

Aug 20, 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bucknasty wrote:
Any persuasive words to try to get him to let me up on the rocks, and maybe get it open to the public
Don't mention opening it up to the public. That's a deal breaker right there.

moose_droppings

Aug 21, 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bucknasty wrote:
Any persuasive words to try to get him to let me up on the rocks, and maybe get it open to the public, or know which direction to point me?

Honesty is the best policy. Be open about your intentions you've outlined here. If they hear it from somewhere else first they might get a little miffed.

bucknasty

Aug 21, 2007, 1:19 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
lets say you own the land and some rat came and asked if he could boulder in your property but then he fell and his MOM sued you !!!!

ohh fu8k it , climbers are not that as8hole to sue in AMERICA

We don't sue each other round these parts, we just shoot our boom-sticks 'n drink beers (well, some of us anyway) because we're responsible red necks! That reminds me, there was a huge choch at our local gym on Sunday who was like "if my son falls, I'm going to sue you guys for all you're worth" then he said some crap about falling in the parking lot and suing the place. I got to hear about it from the manager like all afternoon in a chess game.

And as for my mom, if I got messed up she'd just be like "good job retard, now go pay your own hospital bills".

brewer19 wrote:
bent_gate wrote:

I agree with this aproach; however, i would use beer instead of cookies.

He's not really new to the area. I live in farming country, and there's about 5-10 old school guys who own like 9/10 of the land that isn't residential housing around these parts. This guy's fam has been here for quite a few years, same as the guy who owned this place before him (the farm land/mountains get passed around between these families, and sometime a feud, yes and old school red neck feud, breaks out). So a welcome to the "neighborhood" (of about 100 people in a 10 mile radius) is a little out of the question. But the beer is probably a good idea!

I know most of the farmers in the area, and helped them at some point or another in the past 10 years, but I never met this guy. I guess the hard part will be actually meeting this guy face-to-face and getting the time to talk to him.

Maybe I'll scrape together some money w/ my bro and we'll buy the rock from him, and maybe an acre or 2 of land and get some kind of right-of-way to it (we also ride atv's up in the mountain). There's an old lumber road that ends about 1/4 of a mile away, so the hike isn't too bad if you know where you're going.

moose_droppings wrote:
bucknasty wrote:
Any persuasive words to try to get him to let me up on the rocks, and maybe get it open to the public, or know which direction to point me?

Honesty is the best policy. Be open about your intentions you've outlined here. If they hear it from somewhere else first they might get a little miffed.

I agree, I guess my first post wasn't really clear... I was asking more from a legal stand point, like maybe a contract between this guy and myself and whomever wants to climb there to relieve him from liability of the situation if we were to get injured (is this possible?), or something of that nature.

Anyway, thanks for the input, and if there are any more genius ideas, let me know!

HarklessDO

Aug 21, 2007, 1:36 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its been my understanding that the land owner is in more legal jeopardy if say they put up posted signs and the like. Like any property if you are on it and shouldn't be your tresspassing.
If you put up a posted sign though I have been told it is as though you are saying there is a reason (danger) that you should not be there and by stating that you take on extra responsibility to keep people off.
In other words as long as the land owner will tolerate ignorance is bliss.
I could be completely wrong here I am no lawyer but just something I had been told before.

gblauer

Aug 21, 2007, 2:05 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HarklessDO] New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the Access Fund site...they have some pointers for approaching land owners.

EPiCJAMES

Aug 22, 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #11 of 16 (4453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:
bucknasty wrote:

Kindly ask him while cleaning your 45? A heavy accent might help too...
I'll make you an offer...you can't refuse my friend...

best advice i've ever heard. that'll get you anything!

maldaly

Aug 22, 2007, 1:54 AM
Post #12 of 16 (4434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EPiCJAMES] New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Before you have the climbing talk, familiarize yourself with Recreational Use Statutes and how they apply in your state. These are the common law statutes that protect landowners if someone comes on their property and hurts themselves on or in a natural feature. In most states landowners are protected from being held liable if an uninvited guest is injured on their land as long as a) they didn't pay a fee to use the land and b) the injury occured on and was accessed through a natural feature.

Check with the access fund on this. They keep a pretty up-to-date database of how RUSs are interpreted in each state.

Mal

hiyapokey

Aug 22, 2007, 5:21 AM
Post #13 of 16 (4414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That reminds me of a story I heard where a guy asked if he could climb on the farmer's land and the farmer agreed so long as the guy didn't mess with his daughter... does this guy have a daughter of courtin' age. You could kill to stones with one bird wink wink nudge nudge.

bradmc

Sep 13, 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #14 of 16 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hiyapokey] New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

here are a few notes i have put together on talking with private landowners ... and a few things not to do.

hope this helps any climbers open up a local crag.. best of luck

http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=59

ajkclay

Sep 13, 2007, 1:57 AM
Post #15 of 16 (4270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy it?

microbarn

Sep 13, 2007, 3:42 AM
Post #16 of 16 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] New Crag, Private Property... Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Check the Access Fund site...they have some pointers for approaching land owners.

agreed

The ACCESS FUND is there for just this situation.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook