Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tugboat

Aug 6, 2011, 7:43 PM
Post #26 of 29 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] How do you build a testing rig [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hmmmm.... thanks Jim. Like i said...i'm no expert (as you can see) with this stuff. You seem to know your stuff. If you don't mind i have some questions that you might be able to help me with. I'll pm them to you.

Appreciate the educated response.

tugboat

Aug 6, 2011, 7:51 PM
Post #27 of 29 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tugboat] How do you build a testing rig [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So Jim, its not the scan rate of my scale but the hz rate (which i interpret as the refresh rate) of the "display" that gives me the erratic/inconsistent readings (peak holds) when i do a drop test?

The scale company from which i purchased the equipment did point out that i can output from various ports on the back of the GSE scale to display a force curve on a PC. Am i understanding you correctly in this regard?

Thanks,...

JimTitt

Aug 6, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #28 of 29 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tugboat] How do you build a testing rig [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The sampling rate of the signal amplifier (or conditioner as itīs normally called) is usually much higher, 500 to 2000 times per second is pretty normal for cheapish systems. But you couldnīt read the numbers on the display if they changed that fast so these are again sampled to a usable number, around 15 times a second is usual and sometimes lower. (The higher sampling rates also take a bit more computing power as well).
But there is usually a port (or two) on the back to hook into a computer or printer or into a data acquisition system like a data logger.
There are a few different connection standards and you need a compatible software package to get something from the results but that is easy if you talk to the your conditioner supplier.

Or conveniently, progress means you can get a USB load cell adaptor which does everything for you and comes with software as well, something like this which is 500Hz sampling:- http://www.loadcellshop.co.uk/All-Products-By-Photo/76-USB-Load-Cell-Adapter.html
Afraid this one is English but something similar will exist in the States for sure.

Like usual all very confusing but once you can get all the shit into a PC it all becomes much easier and usefull!

Jim

tugboat

Aug 6, 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #29 of 29 (1706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] How do you build a testing rig [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Jim. Great info. Appreciate it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook